Poll on Best Picture/Director Poll(S)

How do we want the polling to look?

One poll combining Best Picture and Director nominees with one choice for Picture and Director
No votes
One poll combining Best Picture and Director nominees with separate choices for each
62%
Two separate polls
38%

Total votes: 13

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Poll on Best Picture/Director Poll(S)

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:There are no options to select two different items in one of these polls and I believe you can only have 10 options.
Nope - see test poll where I voted for Extrememly Loud & Incredibly close for Best Picture and Terrence Malick for Best Director for test purposes only.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There are no options to select two different items in one of these polls and I believe you can only have 10 options. I don't think Director/Picture polls should be conducted together simply because they don't always match up in our estimations, simply because the best director might get nominated, but his picture not...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Combining would be quick and efficient. Two polls would take much, much longer and be repetitive. As well as the fact that, in many instances, I can see a Picture and Director not go to the same film.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

One poll combining Best Picture and Director nominees with separate choices for each
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yes, Option A would mean voting for just one - no split ticket, an option I don't like but which some people do, though apprently no one here. I think Option B is the cleanest way to go.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I voted for Option B.

Although the way I interpreted Magilla's explanation of Option A doesn't seem to be the way Mister Tee analyzed it, so maybe I don't understand it completely. (The way I interpreted Option A was that we would only be able to cast a vote for ONE movie, be it a Picture OR Director nominee.) But it seems, either way, it wouldn't be terribly friendly to split tickets, which I have a feeling a lot of us will want to engage in more often than the Academy.

And Option C would seem to defeat the purpose of doing these polls at the same time, because the comments wouldn't be focused in one place.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

[quote="Mister Tee"]Actuallly, Option C isn't completely self-explanatory to me. Does it mean it'd be in two separate threads, or would both polls show up in the same place?{/quote]

Separate threads - Option B is the two polls in one thread, which would be my choice. You could comment on both picks without having ot refer to the other poll to explain your choices.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Actuallly, Option C isn't completely self-explanatory to me. Does it mean it'd be in two separate threads, or would both polls show up in the same place?

I don't think Option A works at all...seems like the votes would get mixed up. In the sample, for instance, I'd vote for Sunset Boulevard/Best Film and The Third Man/Best Director, and probably would do the same if both were nominated in both categories. But there are times my vote in each of the two categories would be dictated by solely by what I'm allowed (example: I'd vote My Left Foot for best film in 1989 and Branagh/Henry V in director, but only because Henry V is not offered as a choice under picture). The way it is in Option A, it seems like you'd be voting your first and second choices among all those who qualify in either category, which muddles matters.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ksrymy wrote:I don't exactly understand the wording. Can you type up an example please?
I had one ready, but didn't think I'd need it :)

Option A - select 1
All About Eve (Joseph L. Mankiewicz)
The Asphalt Jungle (John Huston)
Born Yesterday (Georger Cukor0
Father of the Bride (Vincente Minnelli)
King Solomon's Mines (Compton Bennett, Andrew Marton)
Sunset Boulevard (Billy Wilder)
The Third Man (Carol Reed)

Option B - select 1 from each group
All About Eve
Born Yesterday
Father of the Bride
King Solomon's Mines
Sunset Boulevard
George Cukor (Born Yesterday)
John Huston (The Asphalt Jungle)
Joseph L. Mankiewicz, All About Eve
Carol Reed (The Third Man)
Billy Wilder (Sunset Boulevard)

Option C - self explanatory
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

I don't exactly understand the wording. Can you type up an example please?
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Poll on Best Picture/Director Poll(S)

Post by Big Magilla »

As we get closer to the start of our Best Picture/Director polling, I want to throw out some options.

On this board we can have up to 20 selections and more than one winner.

We can set this up to do one of the following:

Option A - have one poll combining Best Picture and Director with one choice

Option B - have one poll separating Best Picture and Director but allowing two votes per participant, one for Picture and one for Director.

Option C - have two separate polls

In any event, in the case of the first awards (1927/28) I think we should combine the two Best Picture and two Best Director categories rather than have separate polls for those.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”