The 13th Annual Who'll Be Back?

Okri
Tenured

Re: The 13th Annual Who'll Be Back?

Post by Okri »

Yeah, I wasn't gonna remind Tee about Jones! HArdy, he already nailed.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Awaiting Mr Tee's 17th edition.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Okri wrote:Focusing mainly on Tee's last question, with an equivocal respect for the rules, how about:

Tom Hardy: Respectable notices for Tinker Tailor, some eariy internet hype for Warrior. He'll have The Dark Knight Rises for his blockbuster slot this year (of course, Nolan's a lock :D ) but The Wettest Country is based on a "true life novel," directed by Hillcoat and with Chastain, Oldman, and Wasikowska (among others)

Felicty Jones: You know, I'm a little surprised she stole all those newcomer awards from Olsen, but having not seen the film, I can't actually judge the validity. I think she'll get her chances in the next couple years - Ralph Fiennes follow-up to Coriolanus about Charle's Dicken's secret mistress (he's playing Dickens, of course) seems like an early "well, what can she actually do" type role
Both Jones and Hardy made it to the nominees list but for different films and a few years down the line.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Tom Hardy and Armie Hammer are definitely ones to watch, but I don't get Felicity Jones. I thought she was a bore in Like Crazy. I thought Jennifer Lawrence as Anton Yelchin's other lover created more empathy in her few brief scenes than Jones did in the entire film. I was surprised to find she has twenty-four credits on IMDB going back to 1996. She was in Brideshead Revisited and Cheri, but I don't emember her in either. She'll play the title role in Ralph Fiennes' next directorial effort, The Invisible Woman, in which she'll play Charles Dickens' secret mistress to Fiennes' Dickens with Kristin Scott Thomas as her mother. It might be interesting. Then again it could be an even bigger flop than Fiennes' last film.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Focusing mainly on Tee's last question, with an equivocal respect for the rules, how about:

Tom Hardy: Respectable notices for Tinker Tailor, some eariy internet hype for Warrior. He'll have The Dark Knight Rises for his blockbuster slot this year (of course, Nolan's a lock :D ) but The Wettest Country is based on a "true life novel," directed by Hillcoat and with Chastain, Oldman, and Wasikowska (among others)

Armie Hammer: I wonder just how close he actually was this year, given that J. Edgar flopped hard. None of his upcoming choices really seem all that impressive, but he's got a distinct patrician air that you can imagine oscar bait directors making use of in the future.

Felicty Jones: You know, I'm a little surprised she stole all those newcomer awards from Olsen, but having not seen the film, I can't actually judge the validity. I think she'll get her chances in the next couple years - Ralph Fiennes follow-up to Coriolanus about Charle's Dicken's secret mistress (he's playing Dickens, of course) seems like an early "well, what can she actually do" type role
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Jonah Hill could play Taft...but would he take the role? And I heard he was trying to slim down for a role, did he decide to put the weight back on?

As for Spencer, I'm sure she'll have a continued career as a character actress, but since Mo'Nique has cornered the Hattie McDaniel story, I don't know that we'll see Spencer again at the Oscars.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote: I'm with Sonic, that the limitations on Spencer and Hill are of the "anatomy is destiny" variety. Seeing Hill on shows like Charlie Rose, I conclude he's a not-stupid guy who's very appreciative of having been given an opportunity like Moneyball. If he never gets a similar project -- and I said from the start, he may not -- it'll be more from studio constriction based on his physicality than any lack of taste on his part. (Or, as Whoopi Goldberg once said, "I choose from what I'm offered. It's not like I have scripts divided into good and shitty piles, and say, I'll do the shitty ones")
I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that Jonah Hill will be cast as the lead in some sort of biopic (who, I'm not sure) and be nominated for Best Actor. Just a hunch.

The reductive "Spencer's fat and ugly and therefore will not have roles to choose from" is extremely laughable.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'll defend Tee here, I did call Cogan's Trade genre twaddle, but for two reasons: 1) I'm unfamiliar with the work and was in a rush to finish the comments, so didn't look it up and 2) if you read the description on IMDB, it sure sounds like genre twaddle. But even if it's similar to The Town or other such films, the Academy has only fallen for them in unique circumstances. Just look at what happened with Jesse James. Departed and Silence of the Lambs were headed by well known directors. Cogan's Trade is Andrew Dominik whose not exactly a Demme or a Scorsese. (: And any film that stars Ray Liotta these days has to be looked at suspiciously. :)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Mister Tee wrote:Cogan's Trade is based on a novel by George V. Higgins, whose wonderful depictions of the low Boston mob include the great Friends of Eddie Coyle, and the film is Andrew Dominick's follow-up to The Assassination of Jesse James. If that's "discardable genre twaddle", so was Silence of the Lambs or The Departed.
Sure seems like "discardable" and purely "genre" are adjectives that would describe World War Z, I think maybe that's which film OG meant, though I cannot remember his take on Jesse James, so maybe I'm way off base here. I know several of us (myself and Tee included) thought it near masterpiece and would be excited about absolutely any follow up. Forster/Pitt and zombie film sure seem to project far, far away from "Kodak", at least I'd sure guess...
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

If you look in the Martha Marcy May Marlene thread, I offer my thoughts on the reason for the film's title.

To address a few other things mentioned in the past few days:

Magilla, to look at the two black actresses nominated for The Help, and conclude that Octavia Spencer is the one with the rosiest Oscar future is...well, a rather singular take. If you're correct, my hat is off to you.

I'm with Sonic, that the limitations on Spencer and Hill are of the "anatomy is destiny" variety. Seeing Hill on shows like Charlie Rose, I conclude he's a not-stupid guy who's very appreciative of having been given an opportunity like Moneyball. If he never gets a similar project -- and I said from the start, he may not -- it'll be more from studio constriction based on his physicality than any lack of taste on his part. (Or, as Whoopi Goldberg once said, "I choose from what I'm offered. It's not like I have scripts divided into good and shitty piles, and say, I'll do the shitty ones")

Cogan's Trade is based on a novel by George V. Higgins, whose wonderful depictions of the low Boston mob include the great Friends of Eddie Coyle, and the film is Andrew Dominick's follow-up to The Assassination of Jesse James. If that's "discardable genre twaddle", so was Silence of the Lambs or The Departed.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote: But were Hugo not Marty's love letter to film history, would he have even been in the mix? If the same film had been directed by someone like Robert Zemeckis, the tech nominations and prizes would be there, but that's about it, I think.
If Robert Zemeckis directed Hugo, it would be a totally different film. First off, it would be done in MoCap. Tom Hanks would play both Hugo and Georges Melies and some actress, let's say Angelina Jolie will play Isabelle, the Chloe Moretz role.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Not to turn this into a Martha Marcy thread, but add me to those who thought Elizabeth "Lizzie" Olsen gave one of the year's best performances and has the potential of becoming one of the bright stars of the next decade. That title, though, doesn't do much for me. She's called Martha by her family and Marcy or Marcy May be the cult members, but she's only referred to as Marlene in one scene when one of the cult members says the woman on teh phone was his cousin Marlene. On the other hand, I suppose it's as good a title as any, though Paranoia might have been more appropriate.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Ok I will.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ITALIANO wrote:Oh ok. Never heard of this movie either, but they should have definitely chosen a different title.
Marco watch this film, if only to find out why the title of the film is what it is. It was an interesting film and Olsen gave one of the year's best female performances.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Oh ok. Never heard of this movie either, but they should have definitely chosen a different title.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”