Assistant

Re: Unseen Foreign Film nominees

Post by gunnar »

I'll send you a PM
roddydc5
Graduate

Post by roddydc5 »

I am also looking for English subtitles for Portrait of Chieko. Can you help? Thanks
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Thanks gunnar but it's not working. Too many downloads involved which puts me on the verge of a nervous breakdown. :lol:
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

Reza wrote:
gunnar wrote:
chieko wrote: I am also missing Portrait of Chieko, any advice on how to watch it?
Somebody posted it here. You might need to convert the subtitles to .srt before watching, depending on the system you use.
Wish I knew how to add the subtitles. I'm pretty hopeless and technologically challenged.
I sent you a PM about it.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

gunnar wrote:
chieko wrote: I am also missing Portrait of Chieko, any advice on how to watch it?
Somebody posted it here. You might need to convert the subtitles to .srt before watching, depending on the system you use.
Wish I knew how to add the subtitles. I'm pretty hopeless and technologically challenged.
chieko
Graduate

Post by chieko »

Thanks gunnnar!
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

chieko
Graduate

Post by chieko »

gunnar wrote:It didn't take long after my previous post for a copy to finally surface. A copy showed up on a private tracker toward the end of May and English subtitles became available about a month later. It's still a rare film, but hopefully will be much less so before too long.
I am also missing Portrait of Chieko, any advice on how to watch it?
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

It didn't take long after my previous post for a copy to finally surface. A copy showed up on a private tracker toward the end of May and English subtitles became available about a month later. It's still a rare film, but hopefully will be much less so before too long.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

The two lowest categories for me when I looked at it last year were Documentary and International/Foreign Film. I decided to work on those two categories and finished off the Documentary list back in February, except for 15 films that are unavailable currently.

For the International category, I finally reached 99% today with only 1 film left - Portrait of Chieko. That film has eluded me so far, but I'm hoping that a copy will turn up eventually. There were a lot of films that I liked in this category, but some were a slog to get through. Most fell somewhere in the middle.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Kino will be releasing three Oscar nominated foreign language films (one of which won the award) on Blu Ray in July. All the films are directed by István Szabó: Confidence (1980), Mephisto (1981) & Colonel Redl (1985).
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Truce (1974) Oscar nominee for Foreign Language Film is now available through Movie Detective.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza,

Thanks so much for the links. Paw and Sandakan No. 8. are very highly regarded in their own right, however Double Feature and Course Completed have for some reason almost impossible to track down with English subtitles. One of them was restored and released on Blu Ray in Spain a couple of years ago, but alas without English subtitles.

Interesting but sad fact about a lot of older Japanese cinema, aside from the well known directors (Mizogouchi, Ozu, Kurosawa, etc) is that there is no appetite in Japan to restore cinema and it doesn't sell well outside of Japan either making it economical unfeasible for US/UK companies to largely bother with.

Whilst not related to this thread I read some rather sad news the other day that the company/person who owns most of Paul Verhoeven's Dutch films from the 1970s/early 1980s wants too much money for the rights as a result know one will invest in restoring them. Yesterday I saw Jeffrey McHale's documentary on Showgirls - You Don't Nomi and it includes clips from all of Verhoeven's other films. All his Dutch films are clearly in a terrible state with the exception of Spetters which has been restored and is coming to Blu Ray in the UK in November. I'm loathed to even look at my DVDs of Verhoeven's Dutch films - I've seen them all over the years previously but haven't watched any of them on DVD because, well the quality leaves a lot to be desired. A very sad state of affair for lots of films from the past and us film lovers.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:
Reza wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:
I'm now down to 'only' ten films from the Foreign Language category to see:

1958 - Arms and the Man (Germany)
1959 - Paw (Denmark)
1967 - El Amor Brujo (Bewitched Love) (Spain)
1967 - Portrait of Chieko (Japan)
1970 - Hoa-Binh (France)
1970 - Paix sur les Champs (Peace in the Fields) (Belgium)
1974 - The Truce (Argentina)
1975 - Sandakan No. 8 (Japan)
1984 - Double Feature (Spain)
1987 - Course Completed (Spain)
Precious have you managed to find and watch:

1959 - Paw (Denmark)
1967 - El Amor Brujo (Bewitched Love) (Spain)

A Cage of Nightingales
I'm still missing:

1959 - Paw (Denmark)
1967 - Portrait of Chieko (Japan)
1970 - Hoa-Binh (France)
1974 - The Truce (Argentina)
1975 - Sandakan No. 8 (Japan)
1984 - Double Feature (Spain)
1987 - Course Completed (Spain)

I've gotten the other through Movie Detective.
If you like I can send you links to Paw, Sandakan No. 8., Double Feature and Course Completed.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”