The Brett Ratner Flap

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: The Brett Ratner Flap

Post by OscarGuy »

Starting a facebook group to have the muppets host will result in the muppets not hosting...the Academy has always resisted concerted efforts to force it to do anything. I believe Doris Day had a group dedicated to trying to get her an Oscar and look how that's turned out.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I would like to see the Oscars hosted by Karen Lynn Gorney.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Someone one Sasha's site had an excellent suggestion. To counter the harm done and bad taste left by Brett Rat, the Academy should have a gay host this year, and then said that the obvious choice was Tom Cruise.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous1980 wrote:There's a Facebook and Twitter campaign to get the Muppets to host.

I just joined both of them!
Yuchhhh!!! I can't stand the Muppets (well, Kermit's okay, I guess).

As my late co-writer, Mason, put it, "The Muppets: What a complete waste of perfectly good felt."
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

anonymous1980 wrote:There's a Facebook and Twitter campaign to get the Muppets to host.

This would be epic.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:I'm afraid NPH hosting the Tonys would preclude him from hosting the Oscars. I believe the Academy likes to pick people who haven't hosted another show in the last year.

Ellen would be awesome too.

But I just opined on my site about another Brian Grazer collaborator who might not make a bad host: Tom Hanks. I know everyone here's a bit down on him lately, but he has name recognition, understands the history and importance of film history and actually has a solid comedy background.

Of course, I read someone else suggest (that guy who Tee linked) who suggested Lorne Michaels/Tina Fey...drop Michaels and bring on Fey and it might be pretty awesome.
I think Tom Hanks would be exactly the kind of classy host the Academy would want at this point.
dbensics
Graduate

Post by dbensics »

David Letterman...all is forgiven ?!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

There's a Facebook and Twitter campaign to get the Muppets to host.

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm afraid NPH hosting the Tonys would preclude him from hosting the Oscars. I believe the Academy likes to pick people who haven't hosted another show in the last year.

Ellen would be awesome too.

But I just opined on my site about another Brian Grazer collaborator who might not make a bad host: Tom Hanks. I know everyone here's a bit down on him lately, but he has name recognition, understands the history and importance of film history and actually has a solid comedy background.

Of course, I read someone else suggest (that guy who Tee linked) who suggested Lorne Michaels/Tina Fey...drop Michaels and bring on Fey and it might be pretty awesome.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

Check it

Brian Grazer To Replace Brett Ratner As Oscar Producer
Source: AMPAS November 9, 2011

It's been a whirlwind 24 hours for The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences as the 84th Academy Awards first lost its producer in Brett Ratner and then lost its host in Eddie Murphy. Academy President Tom Sherak has just announced, however, that Ratner's replacement has been secured with Hollywood producer Brian Grazer stepping into the job.

"Brian Grazer is a renowned filmmaker who over the past 25 years has produced a diverse and extraordinary body of work," said Sherak. M"He will certainly bring his tremendous talent, creativity and relationships to the Oscars®."

"I am thrilled to welcome Brian Grazer as my partner and that we will be collaborating to produce an outstanding show," echoed Mischer.

"It’s very gratifying to be part of a show that honors excellence in the medium to which I have devoted so much of my career," said Grazer. "Don is a legend, and I am excited to work with him."

"I too am delighted that Brian will join Don in producing the Academy Awards and I am looking forward to our producers delivering the movie event of the year," commented Academy CEO Dawn Hudson.

Grazer has earned four Academy Award nominations. He won a Best Picture Oscar in 2001 for A Beautiful Mind. In 1984, Grazer was nominated in the writing category for Splash, and he received Best Picture nominations in 1995 and 2008 for Apollo 13 and Frost/Nixon, respectively. His other film credits include Spies Like Us, Kindergarten Cop, The Nutty Professor, Liar Liar, 8 Mile and Cinderella Man. His current projects include the about to be released J. Edgar and the just released Tower Heist (directed by Ratner).

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2011 will be presented on Sunday, February 26, 2012, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live by the ABC Television Network. The Oscar® presentation also will be televised live in more than 200 countries worldwide.
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

Sonic Youth wrote:
Greg wrote:Considering recent events, it would be highly ironic if the Oscar host is Neil Patrick Harris and/or Ellen DeGeneres.
It would be fully intentional, is what it would be.
At least they would make good hosts.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Greg wrote:Considering recent events, it would be highly ironic if the Oscar host is Neil Patrick Harris and/or Ellen DeGeneres.
It would be fully intentional, is what it would be.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Considering recent events, it would be highly ironic if the Oscar host is Neil Patrick Harris and/or Ellen DeGeneres.
dbensics
Graduate

Post by dbensics »

Another reason for Eddie to be pissed at the Academy.

1) Scolding the Academy when presenting the Best Picture Oscar in 1988 (?) for lack of African-American winners.

2) Fleeing the show with wife in first 30 minutes after losing Best Supporting Actor to Alan Arkin.

3) Ratner mess
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

As I said before, I think the Academy asked Ratner to step down, but make it sound like it was his decision to save face. Murphy probably knows about this and wasn't particularly pleased that his "friend" was treated that way. Loyalty is great unless you look like an ass doing it.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”