Next Year’s Best Picture Nominees

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:In the E.W. article she defends Black Swan, saying it gave her insight on how to talk to the young girls who come to her wanting to talk about masturbation.
Well... I'm not sure that the insight one can get from Back Swan on masturbation is a very good one...
I was thinking the message might be don't do in front of your mother. ???
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I sure hope Tree of Life can help Malick get his due next year.

He's already working on his next film! He's cranking them out fast now, that man.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:In the E.W. article she defends Black Swan, saying it gave her insight on how to talk to the young girls who come to her wanting to talk about masturbation.
Well... I'm not sure that the insight one can get from Back Swan on masturbation is a very good one...
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

You need to read the E.W. interview with Mother (not Sister) Dolores. It puts a somewhat different slant on things.

Yes, it was her role as the holocaust survivor Lisa, not her Saint Clare in Francis of Assisis, as is commonly thought, that convinced her to end her engagement and become a nun. Interestingly, she is still in touch with her ex-fiance - he's interviewed as well, as the article talks about a recent call he made to her in the middle of the night!

In the E.W. article she defends Black Swan, saying it gave her insight on how to talk to the young girls who come to her wanting to talk about masturbation. She does say, however, that she doesn't show a lot of the screeners to the other nuns, some of whom are in their 90s and would find such things a waste of time. She goes out of her way to show that she is not a prude.

The thrust of the E.W. article was that she once kissed Elvis, a silly premise, but one that I suppose is the best way to reach the E.W. readership.

The article also alludes to her relationship with Patricia Neal, which I mentioned in my profile of Neal on CinemaSight last week. Neal, who was introduced to her through Gary Cooper's daughter, is buried at Hart's Abbey.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1298733068
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Speaking of newspapers, our own Corriere della Sera has sent its correspondent from the US all the way to Bethlehem, Connecticut (aren't there more important things happening in your country these days?!) to interview Sister Dolores Hart, the only catholic nun who is a member of the Academy (she was, of course, a rather famous actress in the late 50s-early 60s). Most of the interview is centered on Hart's unusual life, her movies (the one she's most proud of I had never heard of - The Inspector, a.k.a. Lisa) and her famous co-stars, especially, this being an Italian newspaper, Anna Magnani, whom Hart acted with - and was understandably terrified of - in Wild is the Wind.

But there's also a talk about the Oscars, and Hart is quite open about what she liked and disliked this year. Favorite movies: The King's Speech and The Fighter (I expected that). Favorite actors: Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Christian Bale. Favorite actress: Jennifer Lawrence. (Dis-)honorable mention to True Grit ("because I don't like remakes"). But according to sister Dolores the worst movie of the year is - you guessed it - Black Swan, "a cynical, hopeless film". And here starts a long, predictable speech against the lack of morals in Hollywood movies today. (It's good that she doesn't have to vote for Foreign Film).

This is the way they make their choices on the ballots. Some of them at least.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Hmm, I'd guess Steinfeld has more screentime than most of the lead acting nominees this year.

I'm also a little surprised that Jeremy Renner has the smallest screentime to running time ratio of the bunch. I thought his role was larger than that.

Edited By rudeboy on 1298719010
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Wow. I never would have guessed that Christian Bale is in a higher percentage of his film than Geoffrey Rush.

Of course, the ludicrousness of HaiLead should be obvious even without percentages, but, you know, not everyone thinks when they fill out their Oscar ballots.
dbensics
Graduate

Post by dbensics »

Thank-you Magilla...you're wonderful, as usual.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Another interesting article from the current Oscar issue, on the same page actually, is a breakdown of the screen time of the supporting nominees.

Supporting Actress:
Hailee Steinfeld, 99 minutes, 90% of the film
Melissa Leo, 56 min utes, 49%
Amy Adams, 46 min utes, 40 %
Jacki Weaver, 28 minutes, 25%
Helena Bonham Carter, 26 minutes, 22%

Supporting Actor:
Christian Bale, 72 minutes, 63%
Geoffrey Rush, 56 minutes, 48%
Mark Ruffalo, 49 minutes, 47%
John Hawkes, 20 minutes, 21%
Jeremy Renner, 21 minutes, 17%
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm not a subscriber, but I have been receiving complimentary copies of the print edition since it rebooted - the only perc I receive for contributing my weekly DVD column to Cinemasight. :) .

Anyway the five front-runners they highlight are:

The Descendents (Fox Searchlight)

Alexander Payne's first film since Sideways with George Clooney as an indifferent father who reconnects with his kids after his wife is involved in an accident. (release date TBD).

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Sony)

David Fincher's remake. (December 21st)

The Tree of Life (Fox Searchlight)

Terrence Malick's long-delayed film with a "plot shrouded in mystery", starring Sean Penn and Brad Pitt. (May 27th)

War Horse (Dreamworks)

Steven Spielberg's film about a boy who follows his horse into World War I. (Dec 28th)

Young Adult (Paramount)

Jason Reitman and Diablo Cody reunite for a comedy-drama with Charlize Theron about a novelist who returns to her hometown looking for a lost love. (Fall)

Edited By Big Magilla on 1298698683
dbensics
Graduate

Post by dbensics »

Hello Oscar Fans:

There's an article in the Hollywood Repoter, entitled "Next Year’s Best Picture Nominees" by Matthew Belloni.

The link is here... http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/next-year-s-best-picture-160176

If anyone subscribes to the site and can post the text of the article here it would be appreciated.

Thank-you.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”