Unseen 2010 Oscar Nominated Films

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Uri wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:I'm waiting on my wife's availability for The King's Speech. Otherwise in the top categories, I'm short Biutitful (may catch it tomorrow), Animal Kingdom (got the netflix DVD today) and Another Year (will see it if it fits the schedule).
I'm aware of the fact that the way we all run our lives, certainly at this time of the year, is dictated by the preferences of the Academy, still I somehow think both you and your wife will find watching Another Year a more deserving use of your time than even that of The King's Speech. Just a hunch.
Apart from the obvious King's Speech rationale you reference -- 12 nominations -- my plan runs this way because 1) my wife's health precludes her making many forays out, and King's Speech is the big one she's decided she can't miss; 2) King's is playing at a Sony theatre where I can use already paid-for Costco tickets, rather than putting out $12-13 for Another Year; and 3) my feeling toward Mike Leigh, while not approximating Damien's, is well short of the critics' general consensus. I've loved precsiely one Leigh movie (Vera Drake); liked some others well enough (Secrets and Lies); and been beyond baffled at the universal praise for some (Life is Sweet, Naked, Topsy Turvy).

There's of course always the chance Another Year will surpass my expectations -- as Black Swan did vis a vis previous Aronofsky's -- but I don't feel the possibility strongly enough to make it a must-see right now. (Especailly given BJ's reaction)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Uri wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:I'm waiting on my wife's availability for The King's Speech. Otherwise in the top categories, I'm short Biutitful (may catch it tomorrow), Animal Kingdom (got the netflix DVD today) and Another Year (will see it if it fits the schedule).
I'm aware of the fact that the way we all run our lives, certainly at this time of the year, is dictated by the preferences of the Academy, still I somehow think both you and your wife will find watching Another Year a more deserving use of your time than even that of The King's Speech. Just a hunch.
Actually, I think you'll start using Another Year as the best example yet in your argument that Mike Leigh does not create engaging narratives.

I haven't had the chance to write this one up, but my first instinct while seeing it a couple weeks ago is that it might be something of a Leigh litmus test, with those who love him adoring it, and those who don't like him loathing it. (I was mixed myself.)
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Still to see

Harry Potter ...
Country Strong
The Tempest
Barney's Version
The Way Back
The Wolfman (and i don't intend to)
Tron Legacy
The Illusionist
In a Better World
Incendies
Hors la Loi
Inside Job
Tangled
Watse Land

and the following are waiting in my hard drive
Salt
Unstoppable
Gasland
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Mister Tee wrote:Damien, do you have an anti-Peter Weir jones? Everything else on your Won't list I recognized as your pet peeves. I thought I was the only one here who found him a consistent drag.

Tee, I don't hate Peter Weir. He's no Mike Leigh. But with the possible borderline exceptions of Picnic At Hanging Rock and Dead Poets Society (because of Ethan Hawke's presence), I simply find his movies dull, dreary, pompous and uninteresting. I don't see them unless I have to, and a make-up nomination is not reason enough.

Edited By Damien on 1296206262
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Mister Tee wrote:BJ, you clearly see too damn many movies. (As I did, when I was young and single)
You make this comment EVERY YEAR, haha.

In my defense, not only am I young and single (and therefore have the time)...but I also live in LA (so I have access to all the limited releases)...AND, here's the kicker, because I have plenty of friends and bosses who get screeners, everything that wasn't a must-view in theaters (i.e. all those below-the-line nominees) I saw for free.

Still, I did voluntarily put myself through The Wolfman, so yes, I DO see too many damn movies.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

BJ, you clearly see too damn many movies. (As I did, when I was young and single)

Damien, do you have an anti-Peter Weir jones? Everything else on your Won't list I recognized as your pet peeves. I thought I was the only one here who found him a consistent drag.

I'm waiting on my wife's availability for The King's Speech. Otherwise in the top categories, I'm short Biutitful (may catch it tomorrow), Animal Kingdom (got the netflix DVD today) and Another Year (will see it if it fits the schedule).

But, oh, all those singletons below the line. I've put Salt, Wolf Man, Dogtooth and Exit Through the Gift Shop in the queue. Expect to see no other foreigns or docs, and will also be missing:

Harry Potter
The Illusionist
Tron: Legacy
Unstoppable
Country Strong
Tangled
The Tempest
Barney's Version
The Way Back
Hereafter
Iron Man 2

...almost all of which I can live without till home viewing.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Haven't Seen But Will:
Animal Kingdom
Country Strong
Dogtooth
Gasland
Hors la Loi
In a Better World
Incendies
Salt
The Tempest
Waste Land
The Wolfman

Haven't Seen And Won't:
Alice in Wonderland
Another Year
Barney's Version
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I
How to Train Your Dragon
Iron Man 2
Restrepo
Tangled
Toy Story 3
Unstoppable
The Way Back
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Will see

127 Hours
The Illusionist
Another Year
Country Strong
Tangled
The Tempest
The Way Back
Hereafter
Outside the Law
Incendies
Barney's Vision

Don't want to see but may watch on TV one day

Biutiful
Rabbit Hole
Tangled
Tron Legacy
In a Better World
Harry Potter
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

Here are mine:

Biutiful
Rabbit Hole
Blue Valentine
Another Year
How to Train Your Dragon
The Illusionist
I am Love
The Tempest
Barney's Version
The Wolf Man
The Way Back
Tangled
Salt (don't plan to anytime soon)
TRON: Legacy
Unstoppable
Hereafter
Iron Man 2
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I've seen all the films nominated in the top six categories and all but one in the top eight.

I haven't seen any of the Foreign Film nominees and will catch up with them and Hereafter; Barney's Version; Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows: Part 1; Another Year; Tangled; The Illusionist; The Way Back and maybe Country Strong at some point.

I haven't seen, and have no intention of seeing, Alice in Wonderland; The Wolfman; Iron Man 2; Unstoppable; Salt and The Tempest.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1296148838
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Of the features, I'm missing:

In a Better World
Incendies
Outside the Law (Hors-la-loi)
The Tempest
Waste Land
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'd only have four left if I were only concerned with the top six...damn those other categories.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

The King's Speech
The Fighter
Blue Valentine
Animal Kingdom
Biutiful

And as every year I'm only interested in the top 6 categories
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Every year, I think I do better than the last, but I really have this year (though, I have to once again say: fuck you, Makeup branch). Excluding docs and shorts, here's my list.

The Social Network (in Netflix queue)
Biutiful
Blue Valentine
Animal Kingdom (in Netflix queue)
Another Year
Country Strong
I Am Love
The Tempest
Barney's Version
The Way Back
The Wolfman
Unstoppable
Hereafter (have the screener, just haven't watched it yet)
The Illusionist
Dogtooth
In a Better World
Incendies
Hors la Loi
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”