Streep's Third Oscar

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Right now, let's just look to future Oscars with fun in minds, not frustration or anger. We cannot know for certain who or what will be nominated..we all recognize that. But it's still fun to predict and imagine and all that stuff...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:It's a little early to be talking about next year's Oscars, especially when the films we're talking about haven't even been made yet.

Quit "managing", Magilla. Why not talk about upcoming projects? This is an like an Oscar dead-zone week anyway.

But of course, you'll seize the opportunity to kick off the buzz for one movie about a home for retired opera singers and the other about a hotel for the elderly.

Edited By flipp525 on 1294258763
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's a little early to be talking about next year's Oscars, especially when the films we're talking about haven't even been made yet.

The Thatcher biopic, The Iron Lady, is being directed by Phyllida Lloyd, an alleged Thatcher supporter, who directed Streep in Mama Mia!. It could turn out OK, but it might just as easily turn out to be a mess.

Voters may well want to wait until 2012 to give Streep that elusive third Oscar for August - Osage County, assuming that film isn't rush released into competing in 2011, which could happen, especially if The Iron Lady turns out to be a dud.

The one I'd put my money on if I were a betting man would be Glenn Close in Albert Nobbs, in which she recreates her 1982 theatrical portrayal of an 1890s Irish woman who lived her life as a man. Close has been trying to get this made for at least ten years and her lack of an Oscar, despite five nominations, the last twenty-two years ago, makes hers an even more compelling story than Streep's lack of a third.

I'd also keep my eye on Maggie Smith who is at least as deserving of a third Oscar as the lady with whom she shares initials, and who, like, Streep, is a previous winner in both leading and supporting categories. She could conceivably be double-nominated next year as lead actress for Dustin Hoffman's directorial debut, Quartet (which has nothing to do with her previous film with that title) and supporting actress for The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel now filming in India.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The role of Violet Weston is nothing short of an acting smörgåsbord. In Streep's hands, I can't even imagine what we'll be dealing with. I see August: Osage County as a much more believable prospect for her third Oscar than the Margaret Thatcher biopic.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I think Streep will win her third Oscar for playing Margaret Thatcher.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

anonymous wrote:I always thought Streep's third Oscar would be for the film version of August: Osage County.
How did I miss the news that Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts had signed on (or are "in talks") to do the film adaptation of August: Osage County with Tracy Letts having already written the screenplay? Meryl seemed like a foregone conclusion for the role of Violet Weston, but I'm struggling to see how Julia fits into that play's milieu. Laura Linney would make a much more believable Barbara.

I vote for Kathy Bates as Mattie Fae, Mare Winningham as Ivy and Mary-Louise Parker as Karen.

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I always thought Streep's third Oscar would be for the film version of August: Osage County.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

This may end up being as sad a thread title as the ever-recurring "'The Hobbit' is finally happening!".
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Or the role really juicy. Not that Mags is very exciting, but the Academy does love political figures...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Does it really? She's been nominated how many times so far with bad scripts? I mean even last year's entry, Julie & Julia didn't have a good script.
For a nomination maybe, but a win? The competition would have to be awfully lean.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Well considering that her Mamma Mia! director -- whom my friends less than affectionately refer to as Chlamydia Lloyd -- is at the helm, and she has trouble pointing the camera even remotely in the vicinity of her actors, I won't too quickly jump on the Third Oscar Bandwagon ™.

But maybe the overwhelming cries of Third Oscar Now! will be enough to triumph over whatever hot babe deglams that year.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Does it really? She's been nominated how many times so far with bad scripts? I mean even last year's entry, Julie & Julia didn't have a good script.
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

And I was so hoping Glenda Jackson would return to acting as the old bitch. Ah, well, Streep's done English accents before - she might be able to pull it off, but the script needs to be good.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You guys can stop fretting, this may very well be it.

http://www.cinemasight.com/2010....vehicle
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”