Streep's Third Oscar

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:I had never heard of Mila Kunis before Black Swan either, and, like Magilla, only knew abour her and Macualay this week.

Ditto.

I think she should have an interesting big screen career ahead of her if she accepts the right offers after Black Swan. The breakup with Culkin appears to be the first move in the right direction.

Edited By Reza on 1294378243
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

According to Dave Karger in EW, there is lots of Academy support for Steinfeld in lead despite Paramount's campaign to the contrary.

SAG goes by studio designation, the Academy no longer does, so a repeat of the Castle-Hughes situation could well be in the works.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I think Mila Kunis, Jacki Weaver, and HaiLead Steinfeld are fighting for two spots in Supporting Actress.

True Grit's box office success has made Steinfeld close to a sure thing...though it's worth noting that last time a campaign tried to pass off a little girl lead in support, Keisha Castle-Hughes shocked everyone by appearing in Best Actress. So there is still is some doubt about whether or not voters will buy the category fraud...but they probably will.

Given how well Black Swan has done with the precursors, Kunis seems more and more likely every day, but I'm still holding out a sliver of hope that voters watch those Animal Kingdom screeners. If they do, Weaver could still grab the last spot. But she could also be another Sarsgaard/Buscemi casualty.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Haven't seen it yet, but I'll gladly watch any film in which Natalie Portman gets the girl.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I had never heard of Mila Kunis before Black Swan either, and, like Magilla, only knew abour her and Macualay this week.

I think Barbara Hershey is a more likely nominee from that deliciously awful movie, though guys in the Academy might vote for Kunis because that girl-on-girl-action scene was really hot.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I guess I don't watch enough television. I never heard of her before, let alone seen her in anything.

Criddic, can we really call Kieran Culkin a rising star anymore? All three Culkins (Rory is the third) have been around since the 90s. Kieran's breakout role was in Igby Goes Down nine years ago. All three have new projects due this year in which they have starring roles.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I've never bought Kunis. She's an ex-TV actor and her film output to date has been atrocious. I can't see the Academy, mostly made up of film actors going for an actress the way SAG did, which is made up of a lot of TV actors.

Look at poor Joseph Gordon-Levitt. His film output has been amazing and he's never gotten a nomination. If tits get Kunis a nod over Gordon-Levitt, I will be sad.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1294338258
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:I probably should have led into my comment with "as long as we're discussing it anyway, here's what I think." But, whatever, have it your way if it makes you happy to think of me as your enemy.

I don't think of you as an enemy, Big Magilla. A person I've never met on the Internet is not my enemy. That's ridiculous. You came off as trying to control the conversation (smugly). You were also the one, I might add, who launched into expletives rather quickly. I'm aware of how I come off sometimes; why aren't you? Let's just move on.

Is anyone else not really sold on this Mila Kunis nomination? For some reason, I just don't see it happening (which is not to say I didn’t like her in Black Swan). I'm seeing some out-of-left-field candidate in her place, just not sure who yet (and, no, not Vanessa Redgrave).

Edited By flipp525 on 1294335931
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Poor Macaulay Culkin. His brother Kieran has taken his spot as the rising star, and now his new ex is on her way to an Oscar nomination.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hey, we all learn something every day. I didn't know Mila Kunis and Macaulay Culkin were together until they split up. I guess he won't be accompanying her to the BFCA awards a week from tomorrow.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:What the fuck. I write a thoughtful analysis and get attacked yet again. I'm sick of this shit.
You chided me (and Reza, by extension) for talking about films that have not yet been made and Oscar races of the future. Then you proceeded to use the discussion as a springboard to promote your own thoughts on films that have not yet been made and Oscar races of the future. Do you not recognize how obnoxious and patronizing that is?

I was simply commenting on casting news that I hadn't heard yet under (what I thought was) a thread for speculation during a period in the current Oscar season when not much is happening. You, in typical fashion, felt the need to control and manage what should and should not be discussed.
Funny, I thought I was chiding Reza, and by extension anyone else, including myself, who speculates on coming years' races this early.

I probably should have led into my comment with "as long as we're discussing it anyway, here's what I think." But, whatever, have it your way if it makes you happy to think of me as your enemy.
I don't consider myself ''chided'' at all by Magilla or anybody else for that matter.

Frankly I'm already bored with all the discussions on the 2010 race. So it was great to see flipp's post about Streep in Osage and Magilla's post about Glenn Close and Maggie Smith's chances during 2011. I had no clue that Streep had been cast in Osage........only knew about her role as Margaret Thatcher, which I felt would get her the third Oscar many feel she is due.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

flipp525 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:What the fuck. I write a thoughtful analysis and get attacked yet again. I'm sick of this shit.
You chided me (and Reza, by extension) for talking about films that have not yet been made and Oscar races of the future. Then you proceeded to use the discussion as a springboard to promote your own thoughts on films that have not yet been made and Oscar races of the future. Do you not recognize how obnoxious and patronizing that is?

I was simply commenting on casting news that I hadn't heard yet under (what I thought was) a thread for speculation during a period in the current Oscar season when not much is happening. You, in typical fashion, felt the need to control and manage what should and should not be discussed.
Funny, I thought I was chiding Reza, and by extension anyone else, including myself, who speculates on coming years' races this early.

I probably should have led into my comment with "as long as we're discussing it anyway, here's what I think." But, whatever, have it your way if it makes you happy to think of me as your enemy.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Edited By flipp525 on 1294274467
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

From what I've read so far (in the Guardian) The Iron Lady does not paint Thatcher in a good light - why would you want to. It's a fictional story about her reminiscing on her life after her husband has died. Jim Broadbent play's the Late Denis. Based on that alone it does sound interesting. Though, as far as Meryl Streep's concerned, they can't be anyone even remotely in her way that could take the Oscar from her. Case in point Kate Twin-Set.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

What the fuck. I write a thoughtful analysis and get attacked yet again. I'm sick of this shit.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”