Worst Supporting Actress Omission I - 1936-1961

Worst Supporting Actress Omission I - 1936-1961

Blanche Yurka, A Tale of Two Cities (1936)
No votes
Margaret Hamilton, The Wizard of Oz (1939)
63%
Beulah Bondi, The Southerner (1945)
No votes
Elizabeth Patterson, Intruder in the Dust (1949)
No votes
Thelma Ritter, Rear Window (1954)
13%
Rosalind Russell, Picnic (1955)
6%
Helen Hayes, Anastasia (1956)
6%
Gladys Cooper, Separate Tables (1958)
6%
Dame Edith Evans, The Nun's Story (1959)
No votes
Eve Arden, The Dark at the Top of the Stairs (1960)
6%

Total votes: 16

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I was tempted to leave Margaret Hamilton off the list because I thought she would win in a landslide and really wanted to know who most people thought was the most unfairly ignored after Hamilton, however I thought that leaving her off the list would only extend the injustice already done to her by the Academy. I voted for her myself.

My second choice would have been Beulah Bondi who snaps, crackles and pops her way through Jean Renoir's The Southerner with a ferocious performance as Zachary Scott's cantankerous grandmother.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1293945959
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I love Virginia Field in Waterloo Bridge, Dorothy Comingore in Citizen Kane, Constance Collier in Kitty, Martha Vickers in The Big Sleep, Mary Astor in Desert Fury, Barbara O'Neil in Angel Face, Evelyn Varden in Night of the Hunter, Kay Thompson in Funny Face and Lee Patrick, none of their omissions is as egregious as Margaret Hamilton's who created one of the great iconic figures of all time. The one absence that comes closest in terms of egregiousness is Ethel Barrymore for Portrait of Jenny, but she received a completely undeserved nomination for The Paradine Case, so things equaled out.

Other than Elizabeth Patterson (who, ironically, should have been nominated instead of Ethel Barrymore) none of the other omissions listed in the poll particularly bothers me.

And Edna May Oliver, not hamola Blanche Yurka, for A Tale of Two Cities.

Edited By Damien on 1293944522
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Voted for Helen Hayes who should have won her seond Oscar for Anastasia instead of the one she won years later for Airport.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OK, you guys want polls to tide you over until Best Actor starts next week. Here's another.

This year marks the 75th anniversary of the supporting awards. What was the most egregious omission in the Supporting Actress category in the first 25 years?

These are the ones that come quickest to my mind, but feel free to comment on your own choices if they are not listed here.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”