Worst Supporting Actress Omission II - 1962-1985

Worst Supporting Actress OMission II - 1962-1985

Joan Blondell, The Cincinnati Kid (1965)
No votes
Marjorie Rhodes, The Family Way (1967)
8%
Coral Browne, The Killing of Sister George (1968)
15%
Lois Smith, Five Easy Pieces (1970)
No votes
Barbara Harris, Nashville (1975)
23%
Lilia Skala, Roseland (1977)
No votes
Angela Lansbury, Death on the Nile (1978)
23%
Rachel Roberts, Yanks (1979)
8%
Mary Kay Place, The Big Chill (1983)
No votes
Sabine Azema, A Sunday in the Country (1984)
23%

Total votes: 13

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I've only seen The Big Chill, Five Easy Pieces, and Nashville of the cited performances, and none of them struck me as criminal omissions, although they're all certainly deserving. So I didn't vote, although I have absolutely no idea how Glenn Close could be nominated and not Mary Kay Place. I also have absolutely no idea why Mary Kay Place wasn't a bigger star.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:
Damien wrote:I dont have any vested interest in any of the performances Magilla listed, but Joan Blondell was my father's favorite actress so I voted for her.
Damien, your vote isn't showing.
Hmmm, it says I voted. Maybe I did Coral Browne by mistake because I was toying with the idea of voting for her.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:I dont have any vested interest in any of the performances Magilla listed, but Joan Blondell was my father's favorite actress so I voted for her.

Damien, your vote isn't showing.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1293984034
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

For me this one was between Joan Blondell and Marjorie Rhodes. I ended up voting for Rhodes, because unlike Blondell, she had no actual nomination to fall back on. Indeed, if it weren't for this performance, most people wouldn't know who she even was. Sadly, most people still don't.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

June Harding in The Trouble With Angels, Joyce van Patten in I Love You, Alice B. Toklass, Andrea Ferreol in Despair, Kim Basinger in The Man Who Loved Women, Annie Potts in Crimes of Passion and, most especially and most emphatically, the sublime Mary Stuart Masterson in Heaven Help Us top my list of sinful omissions for this time frame.

I dont have any vested interest in any of the performances Magilla listed, but Joan Blondell was my father's favorite actress so I voted for her.

Edited By Damien on 1293945292
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Voted for Sabine Azema.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Voted for Rachel Roberts.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Continuing our polling of memorable supporting actress performances ignored by AMPAS for the second 25 years of the category's existence, please vote and tell me who you think I left off the list that should have been included among the top ten who were left out.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”