15%
Other Category
No votes

Total votes: 26

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:I can confirm that Condemned is not a lost film. I saw it on video during the 1990s. It was not a bootleg but a proper release under the Samuel Goldwyn label and the print quality was excellent.
You are correct that it is not a lost film, but I don't believe it was ever released on video in the U.S. although it may well have been released elsewhere.

Most of Goldwyn's films are out of print now, but most were released on VHS and later on DVD, but Condemned as far as I know was not one of them.
Very odd that Condemned was not released on video in the US but was released in Australia of all places and clearly taken from a pristine print. It's not film of any note but for Oscar fans a must-see for completeness.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:I was very disappointed that Thunderbolt was included in the recent von Sternberg box set put out by Criterion.
It deserves a proper release, but the the Criterion release was of von Sternberg's late silents. Thunderbolt was an early talkie.
I had read a couple of years ago that Thunderbolt was on Criterion's slate, along with some other von Sternbergs. Maybe we might be lucky enough to have another box set of early talkies some time in 2011.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:I was very disappointed that Thunderbolt was included in the recent von Sternberg box set put out by Criterion.
It deserves a proper release, but the the Criterion release was of von Sternberg's late silents. Thunderbolt was an early talkie.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:I can confirm that Condemned is not a lost film. I saw it on video during the 1990s. It was not a bootleg but a proper release under the Samuel Goldwyn label and the print quality was excellent.
You are correct that it is not a lost film, but I don't believe it was ever released on video in the U.S. although it may well have been released elsewhere.

Most of Goldwyn's films are out of print now, but most were released on VHS and later on DVD, but Condemned as far as I know was not one of them.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:The Green Goddess is not available from Warners Archive. Hopefully it will be sometime in the near future, though I understand it aired on Turner Classics earlier in the year.
Sorry, I was confusing it with Old English.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Just a couple of corrections and additional information.

The Green Goddess is not available from Warners Archive. Hopefully it will be sometime in the near future, though I understand it aired on Turner Classics earlier in the year.

The Big Pond & Thunderbolt can be found on bootleg editions. I was very disappointed that Thunderbolt was included in the recent von Sternberg box set put out by Criterion.

I can confirm that Condemned is not a lost film. I saw it on video during the 1990s. It was not a bootleg but a proper release under the Samuel Goldwyn label and the print quality was excellent.

A believe that most of A Rogue's Song is lost though the soundtrack may survive (see imdb).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

With a vote of 16 for Best Actor, 4 for Best Supporting Actor and 3 for Best Director, it's clear we want to tackle Best Actor next.

Best Supporting Actress will conclude Christmas Eve, Friday December 24th. We'll begin Best Actor the first Tuesday in January, which will be the fourth.

For anyone interested in catching up on the early candidates before we begin, here's a breakdown of what's available on home video:

1927/28 - Both Charlie Chaplin's The Circus and Emil Jannings' The Last Command are available on DVD. Jannings' other film, The Way of All Flesh, is lost. I believe both Barthelmess films are lost as well.

If you want to know what Barthelmess was like at this point in his career, the Warner Archive has released a number of his films from 1929 and 1930. If you want to know what The Way of All Flesh was like, there are bootleg copies of the 1940 remake with AKim Tamiroff you may be able to find.

I would say that if you've seen both The Circus and The last Command, you've seen enough to vote in this race.

1928/29 - Both Warner Baxter's In Old Arizona and Chester Morris' The Alibi are available. Bootleg copies of George Bancroft's Thunderbolt and Paul Muni's The Valiant can be found. Lewis Stone's The Patriot is a lost film.

If you're unable to track down Thunderbolt you should at least seek out Bancroft's The Docks of New York which is available to give you an idea of the actor during this period.

1929/30 - George Arliss' Disraeli was released on VHS. Bootleg DVDs can be found. His The Green Goddess was recently releaed by Warner Archive.

Maurice Chevalier's The Love Parade is available, but The Big Pond is not. Neither is Lawrence Tibbett's The Rogue Song.

Wallace Beery's The Big House was on VHS and is available on DVD from Warner Archive.

Ronald Colman's Bulldog Drummond was released on VHS. Condemned may be a lost film.

1930/31 - Richard Dix's Cimarron and Adolphe Mnjou's The Front Page are available.

Lionel Barrymore's A Free Soul was on VHS and is available on DVD from Warner Archive.

Jackie Cooper's Skippy and Fredric March's The Royal Family of Broadway are only available as bootlegs.

1931/32 - Wallace Beery's The Champ and Fredric March's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are available.

Alfred Lunt's The Guardsman was available on VHS, but is available only as a bootleg on DVD.

1932/33 - Charles Laughton's The Private Life of Hnery VIII and Paul Muni's I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang are available.

Leslie Howard's Berkeley Square can be found only as a bootleg. The 1951 remake, I'll Never Forget You with Tyrone Power is available if you you want to familiarize yourself with the story.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You would have to do two polls as the polling system does not allow you to select multiple entries, so you wouldn't be able to select two at once and each post can only have one poll.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Damien wrote:When we do get to Best Picture, I would suggest -- if the polling set up allows it -- to do Picture and Director in the same thread. The two will undoubtedly match up most of the time, but there could be some interesting commentary going along with discrepencies.
Excellent idea. I was thinking as I pondered this poll that the two would be sometimes redundant and sometimes not. I'd thought maybe we'd want to separate them by at least one other category, to allow memories to dim, but this method is much better.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

When we do get to Best Picture, I would suggest -- if the polling set up allows it -- to do Picture and Director in the same thread. The two will undoubtedly match up most of the time, but there could be some interesting commentary going along with discrepencies.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I cast, until now, the sole vote for Best Director, and see that apparently there's quite a consensus elsewhere.

My thoughts were that A) it would be interesting to tackle a category other than an acting one, simply because the topics of discussion would focus on different qualitative elements and B) given that Best Director nominees have typically come from more widely-seen films, there would be more people who might have seen more nominees (and I include myself in this group.)

But it's not like I'd have any kind of opposition to whatever category everyone decides -- and apparently, it seems like it's been decided almost unanimously already.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I, too, endorse keeping the same rhythm going by tackling best actor next. It'll go like best actress -- fewer votes (and some unseen) at the beginning, but, post-'34 or so, normal.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:Since we did Actress before Supporting Actress, I'd say it makes more sense to do Actor before Supporting Actor.
My feelings as well.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Since we did Actress before Supporting Actress, I'd say it makes more sense to do Actor before Supporting Actor.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

We should be finished with our Supporting Actress polls by the end of the year. It's not too early to start thinking about the next category we want to tackle in our semi-weekly polls in order to give thsoe who want to catch up with the nomianted films before voting begins.

With that in mind, which category do you guys want to tackle next? I would think either Best Actor or Supporting Actor should come after the actresses, but let's talk about it.

My choice would be Supporting Actor, which did not begin, as we know, until 1936, and for the most part has nominees in easier to find films than some of the other categories which go back to 1927/28, but majority rules, so if you guys prefer something else, then that's what we'll do.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”