Best Overall Supporting Actress

Best Overall Supporting Actress

Hattie McDaniel - Gone With the Wind (1939)
5%
Agnes Moorehead - The Magnificent Ambersons (1942)
27%
Thelma Ritter - Pickup on South Street (1953)
14%
Eva Marie Saint - On the Waterfront  (1954)
No votes
Angela Lansbury - The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
23%
Vanessa Redgrave - Julia (1977)
14%
Dianne Wiest - Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)
5%
Joan Allen - Nixon (1995)
9%
Shoreh Aghdashloo - The House of Sand and Fog (2003)
5%

Total votes: 22

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Redgrave is wonderful in Julia but she plays the title character, received star billing and dominates all her scenes. Hers is not a true supporting performance in my estimation.
But do you really think Redgrave's screen time in Julia warranted a placement in the lead category? When you compare the screentime of both Fonda and Redgrave it is quite clear that they both received their nominations in the correct category. The Roz Russell (Picnic) ruling was no longer in effect by the time Julia was released.
You're the only one I've ever heard argue that Vanessa Redgrave gives a lead-qualifying performance in Julia. Jane Fonda is very clearly the lead throughout the film.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

It was between Thelma Ritter and Angela Lansbury for me. Voted for Lansbury.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Redgrave is wonderful in Julia but she plays the title character, received star billing and dominates all her scenes. Hers is not a true supporting performance in my estimation.
But do you really think Redgrave's screen time in Julia warranted a placement in the lead category? When you compare the screentime of both Fonda and Redgrave it is quite clear that they both received their nominations in the correct category. The Roz Russell (Picnic) ruling was no longer in effect by the time Julia was released.
I agree that Redgrave was placed in the proper category given the strong competition for lead actress in 1977 and the rather weak competition in the supporting category, but it's a borderline lead/supporting performance. Comparing apples to apples, the others, with the exception of Eva Marie Saint and Joan Allen, who were also borderline lead/supporting, are true supporting players. They were not given star billing in their films. They did not sell tickets on their names, but managed to stand out, and in some cases, steal their films from the actual leads through sheer force of personality and performance.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

I vote for Ritter.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Edited By Reza on 1293701714
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Well, not all supporting nominees can have as little screen time as Casey Affleck. (I kid, I kid.)

A two-way race for me between Moorehead and Lansbury. I could've gone either way. Today I picked Moorehead.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Torn between (like many) Lansbury, Moorehead, and Ritter. Went with Moorehead.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I have to go with Lansbury. Her performance in The Manchurian Candidate is amazing and I consider it one of the most disappointing losses in Oscar history.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

A toss-up between McDaniel and Lansbury. Went with the latter.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Voted for Shoreh Aghdashloo, with Lansbury in second place and McDaniel in third.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

For those of you who want something to do while awaiting the start of the Best Actor polls next week, here's a little survey based on our individual poll results.

Looking at the top vote getters by decade (there was a tie in the 1950s voting), please indicate who you think gave the best overall supporting performance.

For me it's a three way race between Moorehead, Ritter and Lansbury.

McDaniel was a worthy winner, but I wonder if she would have come in quite as high as she did if she were up against Margaret Hamilton in The Wizard of Oz.

Redgrave is wonderful in Julia but she plays the title character, received star billing and dominates all her scenes. Hers is not a true supporting performance in my estimation.

Wiest was fine in Hannah and Her Sisters, but Maggie Smith in A Room With a View was my choice that year.

Joan Allen and Shoreh Aghdashloo won in years where the competition was weak.

So back to Moorehead, Ritter and Lansbury. Ritter made a good movie better, Lansbury created one of the most indelible screen characters of all time, but Moorehead was the standout in a landmark film. She gets my vote.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”