Stiff Adapted Screenplay Competition

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

127 Hours is an adapted screenplay, right? It has no business being anywhere near a nomination though.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Hrmm. I had it down as Adapted, but that may be based on imdb not having updated info at the time I put my original list together.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Isn't The Fighter an original?

I also think Winter's Bone has a shot -- that film has hung on remarkably well for such a low-profile effort. And, based on Best Picture pull, 127 Hours, even though no one would argue that film's strength is its script.

I think Never Let Me Go deserves consideration, but I liked that film more than most, and acknowledge that its award-season hopes are pretty grim.

Of course, until these films open, it'll be hard to know where some of them will land, particularly a wild card like True Grit.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This year's Adapted Screenplay field is so dense, I'm really torn as to what will get nominated. I could easily see any one of these nominated. Not that the screenplays are all known quantities, but the general feeling about these films is that they are all Best Picture contenders, which make them Best Adapted Screenplay contenders.

The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
The Way Back
The Fighter
Rabbit Hole
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”