Lost, Broken or Tarnished Oscars

tootpadu
Graduate

Post by tootpadu »

The plaster Oscars were given out during the war years, but if I remember correctly, they were replaced by ordinary ones, once things got back to normal, metalwise.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I can't seem to find mention of it now, but I know there was a time when the statuette was made of materials other than its current composition, I think maybe with a plaster core? Can't remember now, it's been years since I read it. And supposedly there was an actor who lobbed the head off his with a golf club and was able to get it replaced.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I remember watching an interview with George Kennedy and he said that his Oscar was damaged during, I believe, the 1994 L.A. earthquake. He called the Academy and they said they can replace it for a $200 fee. He thought about it and said he preferred to keep his damaged Oscar because it's the Oscar he won back in the day and it's the one he wishes to keep.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

In Jolie's case she gave it to her mother who has since passed away.

In Howard University's case, it was stolen.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

how DO you lose an Oscar?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Interesting question.

AMPAS has a policy of not replacing lost Oscars. Just ask Angelina Jolie or Howard University, the recipient of Hattie McDaniel's plaque after her death.

I don't know about Alice Brady's, though. Since it was stolen in plain sight by an impostor on Oscar night, that one should have been an exception.

I'm pretty sure in that on the rare occasions when a replacement is made, the original must be surrendered.
dbensics
Graduate

Post by dbensics »

What is the Academy's policy on lost, tarnished or stolen Oscars?

Will they give you a new one?

I seem to recall that sometime in the 1980s, Rod Steiger received a "new" Oscar because his original was corroded by the Malibu salt air.

In such a case, I wonder if the Academy would allow the person to keep the original for sentimental reasons, or if they'd insist on taking back the old "damaged" one before giving you a brand new one.

Edited By dbensics on 1288305233

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”