Academy invites 135 new members

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Funny, but also sad and true.
dbensics
Graduate

Post by dbensics »

Come next January, a new set of gardeners, massage therapists, nannies, best friends, parents, siblings, etc., will experience something for the first time.

They will receive a ballot from an Academy member and be asked, "Can you fill this out for me?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Hustler wrote:I can´t believe that James Gandolfini was not invited earlier.
Gandolfini is a big name, but this was really his biggest cinematic year yet, with Where the Wild Things Are and In the Loop. Previous to this, he had some notable film work, but he is more of a television star.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:
Damien wrote:
The Original BJ wrote: My first thought as well.
I've always wondered this -- is he the same Jon Landau who, as a rock critic for Rolling Stone, declared Springsteen the future of rock 'n' rollin the mid-70s and later was his producer?
They're not the same person. The Jon Landau, born 1960, they're inviting is James Cameron's producing partner and an Oscar winner himself (for Titanic). His father was the producer Ely Landau (1920-1993), the man behind the American Film Theatre (The Iceman Cometh; A Delicate Balance, etc.).
Thanks, Big. I was wondering about this since Titanic. Had no idea Cameron's Landau was related to Ely.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I can´t believe that James Gandolfini was not invited earlier.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Another question: how is it Jon Landau is only being invited now?
My first thought as well.
I've always wondered this -- is he the same Jon Landau who, as a rock critic for Rolling Stone, declared Springsteen the future of rock 'n' rollin the mid-70s and later was his producer?
They're not the same person. The Jon Landau, born 1960, they're inviting is James Cameron's producing partner and an Oscar winner himself (for Titanic). His father was the producer Ely Landau (1920-1993), the man behind the American Film Theatre (The Iceman Cometh; A Delicate Balance, etc.).
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I think that Saoirse Ronan is a wonderful actress, and potentially a great one, but I really do have a problem with kids getting to vote for the Oscars. Let 'em stick with the Nickelodeon awards til they reach 18.

I've always liked Miguel Ferrer, but for the life of me I don't understand whyhe is only just now gaining admission, rather than back in the 90s. Same with Peter Reigert who was kind of a big deal in the 80s.

Adam Shankman?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The Original BJ wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Another question: how is it Jon Landau is only being invited now?
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

OscarGuy wrote:All Oscar nominees and winners are automatically invited if I remember correctly. So, Fisher Stevens (to someone's chagrin) is probably a member.
They aren't always invited. Michelle Williams wasn't invited the year she was nominated, and there was much bitching and moaning about it on other boards.

Nominees and winners who aren't already members may be invited, but the other people on the list--those who weren't nominees this year--have to apply with the sponsorship of a couple of Academy members.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

All Oscar nominees and winners are automatically invited if I remember correctly. So, Fisher Stevens (to someone's chagrin) is probably a member.

But if Tobin Bell can be an Academy member, Robert Englund sure as hell should be...And who knows, maybe he is...and maybe others are for all I know, but the Academy's just quiet about who's already members and if people like Sandler and Bell are the reason, I'm not surprised.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:That's my point. It makes me wonder if Robert Englund, Wes Craven and/or John Carpenter are members.

I believe Wes Craven and John Carpenter already are. I mean, Scream got Neve Campbell in.

It's funny about this list. There are people who are being invited who either already have nominations or even actual statuettes and are still not members. Yet people like Gabourey Sidibe get invited with just one movie under her belt.

Edited By anonymous on 1277521805
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Another question: how is it Jon Landau is only being invited now?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That's my point. It makes me wonder if Robert Englund, Wes Craven and/or John Carpenter are members.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I was going to ask "who the hell is Tobin Bell?" but decided to look him up on the IMDb. first. Now my question is "why the hell Tobin Bell?"

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”