Mary McDonnell, Dances w/Wolves & Passion Fish

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Wolves: She was part of a successful pack that won big time that night and was in the limelight in a big way during and after the awards.

Fish: Small Indie film.......2 nods.........hence she was ignored and was not part of any hoopla that night.

I think that's why she had two different experiences.
Jeffrey
Graduate

Post by Jeffrey »

Last night, I saw Mary McDonnell give a talk at a small private college in my hometown. And during today's lunch, she did a Q & A.

I asked her about her Oscar experiences. She said the two times were entirely opposite. For 1990, she said it was a "family" feeling attending with the Dances With Wolves group & their 13 nominations. They all stayed in the same hotel & took limos "two or three blocks" to the theatre.

She contined about the "humanity" in the room that the camera cannot capture. People are passing Tic Tacs to one another during the commercial breaks.

For 1992, she attended with her husband. Passion Fish had only two nominations (thanks to Miramax...without them, she said she wouldn't have scored a nomination).

It was an entirely different experience. The two different trips to the Oscars didn't mirror one another.

Interesting insights.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”