CinemaSight's Favorite Oscar Moments

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

One favorite Oscar moment of mine that wasn't mentioned the the 15-part series (at least I didn't think it was) was Olivia De Havilland's appearance in the 75th Oscars. I thought there was something absolutely magical about her in that flowing blue dress entering to "Tara's Theme" and greeted with a standing ovation.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

One of my favorite Oscar moments was when Anna Paquin won supporting actress for The Piano in 1994. I just watched it on Youtube, the first time I had seen it since the live telecast, and it is as genuine and touching as I remember it. The stunned look on Anna's face when her name was announced, Holly Hunter's joyful laughter and applause while she was practically pushing Anna toward the stage, Anna standing behind the podium for several seconds just smiling nervously, the audience laughing and applauding affectionately for her, and then Anna relaxing and giving a nice speech thanking Holly, Jane Campion and the people who took care of her during the making of the film, among whom was someone named "Beanie." I am glad Anna is having a successful career. I fell in love with her during that Oscar telecast and I thought she was a very deserving winner. Unlike a lot of children who have success very early in their career, she seems to have her act together and works at developing her craft.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

I love Sissy Spacek's speech when we she won for Coal Miner's Daughter.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

One of my favorite Oscar´s Moments was Redgrave´s speech in 1978 after winning in the supporting actress category for Julia. Her words have proved after all these years that she was a precursor. I love his coherence and his corageous attitude in facing a conservative audience at this time.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Greg wrote:Okay, I'm willing to admit that one of my favorite Oscar moments was Michael Moore's acceptance speech for Fahrenheit 9-11. Flame on.
You mean Bowling for Columbine? He didn't win an Oscar for Fahrenheit 9/11.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Okay, I'm willing to admit that one of my favorite Oscar moments was Michael Moore's acceptance speech for Bowling For Columbine. Flame on.

Edited By Greg on 1266857388
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

anonymous wrote:The Woody Allen Oscar moment is also pretty incredible. When Whoopi was doing the intro, Woody was the first name in my head but I immediately nixed that and thought she was introducing Martin Scorsese.
This couldn't match my thought process more exactly. The words I thought were "Got to be Scorsese, because NO WAY it's Woody Allen". The biggest surprise I've ever encountered at the Oscars.

A day or two later, a writer at the The Times said the moment revealed just how deep a wound the Trade Center attacks had left on NY, that it prompted Woody to end his lifetime of no-shows. The writer compared it to Boo Radley having to show himself to save the day.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

We have posted our third day of favorite moments:

http://www.cinemasight.com/2010/02/22/favorite-oscar-moments-part-iii/
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”