Best Oscar Categories - Categories with the strongest lineup

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

2006 is almost as strong. The Black Dahlia, Children of Men, and The Prestige are all outstanding works from great shooters at the top of their game, and Pan's Labyrinth is also well-shot. But The Illusionist is a dull film dully shot and DIY-ed to death. 2007 is a rung up in my book.
"How's the despair?"
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Re: Best Cinematography 2007

OK, it was a dece slate of nominees, on the whole. But I'd much rather cite a year like 2006, in which generally unimpeachable craft is also accompanied by a surprisingly independent streak (i.e. almost none of the nominated movies were major Oscar players).
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

10. Best Supporting Actor 1993
Pretty goddamn sweet. No argument from me.

9. Best Film Editing 1991
Yeah, this wouldn't make my top ten list but you can't really argue with it. It reminds of a superior grouping of nominations in this category: 2007. They're all different KINDS of editing as well. I think that grouping is the one that belongs on this list. Although I like the film, they had the good sense to ignore Bugsy in that lineup.

8. Best Actress 1974
You'd hardly choose this lineup for the great Best Actress nods of our time. I haven't seen Diahann Carroll's performance but I thought the purpose of this was to ignore weak links. What about 1939 or 1940, 1954, 1962? What about 1950, which would get my vote? Honestly, I would put 2004 on that list. It's one of the best lineups of the decade, period.

7. Best Picture 1972
I haven't seen Sounder or The Emigrants. Prrrrrrrobably disagree with him if only because this is a vote simply for The Godfather, Cabaret, and Deliverance. And by that rationale, why not 1974 where The Conversation, Chinatown, and The Godfather: Part II are even more worthy? Yet until I view Sounder and The Emigrants, I can't say anything.

6. Best Adapted Screenplay 1971
Yeah, that's pretty sweet. I haven't seen The Garden of the Finzi-Continis but you can't really argue with it.

5. Best Cinematography 2007
Oh, fuck yeah. This is the stuff of legends even if Zodiac was snubbed for (the admittedly gorgeous-looking) Atonement.

4. Best Actor 2003
Not at all. I remember thinking this was a glorious lineup and now it's fallen in my estimation a bit if only because Sean Penn's grandstanding now looks a little impersonal. Jude Law is commendable in Cold Mountain but it doesn't hold a candle to his great supporting work. Murray, Depp, and Kingsley are pretty great, but the best lineup of the decade for leading actors is 2005. For sure. But why that over 1939, 1946, 1951, 1954, 1967, 1974, or 1993 is beyond me.

3. Best Director 1946
Yeah, that's a pretty great lineup. I would also cite 1950, 1974, and 1993.

2. Best Supporting Actress 1999
Gah! You were 3/4! This is a very boring lineup! Collette is fine and Jolie is wholly unexceptional! Failure pile, Guy! Failure pile! 1939 is pretty great and I think 2007 is outstanding as well.

1. Best Picture 1975
Y'know, I've talked about this with some friends of mine and I guess it's one of the best. But Damien proves two points: 1) you have to like Altman, Forman, Kubrick, Lumet, and Spielberg, and 2) you have to not be old (kinda the same thing; no offense). I can't think of a better lineup off the top of my head but I know there has to be one. I will say that 1974 would have been had the Academy the good sense to replace The Towering Inferno with Day for Night or Woman Under the Influence.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Off the top of my head, Best Supporting Actress 1939, Supporting Actor 1941 and 1946, Best Actress 1945, Best Picture 1944

Funny that Kris Tapely picked 1975 Best Picture. Back at the time, it was the general consensus that it was the worst year in movie history (though we hadn't dreamed what the 80s would inflict).
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

We'll just have to agree to disagree then on that year, I guess, Big Magilla. I think your opinion might a minority one.

Sissy Spacek and Jessica Lange did very little to warrant mention that year, especially the latter in a scenery-gnawing performance.

Diaz was great in Malkovich, a clear case of a beauty getting ugly and working the hell out of it in a good way. I would've supported her in this line-up, probably over Morton. Although, Morton's performance is full of nuance and meaning. It doesn't stand out as easily as some of the others you mentioned, but it's no less powerful.

Joan Plowright? Bring a book.

Collette is the best of the bunch for me. The way she telegraphs the years of anguish over her son's "gift" is subtle and totally rich in verisimilitude. There's a sense of how much she loves Cole, but how much she's at the end of her rope. And her infamous final scene in the car is quietly devastating with essentially no dialogue. A fantastic and unexpected performance.

Jolie's work in Girl, Interrupted, while Jack/Cuckoo Nest-lite, is great and the culmination of several bad girl roles that led up to it (Foxfire, and Gia which is undoubtedly her best performance, film or TV). Brittany Murphy could've easily been nominated alongside her.

Oh, how exciting the year-by-year Best Supporting Actress discussions will be!

Edited By flipp525 on 1264612694
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

When judging a list of nominees you have to look not at just who is "in", but who is left out.

Chloe Sevigny and Catherine Keener were the only ones who deserved nominations that year IMO. I didn't at all like Anglina Jolie in Girl, Interrupted or Samantha Morton in Sweet and Lowdown, although Morton has since become one of my favorite actresses.

Toni Collette was fine in The Sxith Sense, but there there were stronger performances that were overlooked. Among them were Cameron Diaz in Being John Malkovich (retribution for her N.Y. Film Critics win the previous year for There's Something About Mary?); Jessica Lange in Titus (two Oscars considered enough for her?); Sissy Spacek in The Straight Story (a small but meaningful role for her) and my particular favorite, Joan Plowright in Tea With Mussolini, the best of an extraordinary cast of women that also included Maggie Smith, Cher, Judi Dench and Lily Tomlin. Smith and Cher were also award worthy.

Julianne Moore was also heavily favored, though not by me. Still, she would have been a better candidate than either Morton or Jolie, again IMO.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:1999 for Best Supporting Actress are ludicrous.

Why exactly? I think the Academy recognized some great performances that year, including Toni Collette's heartwrenching turn in The Sixth Sense, which almost no one else was brave enough to cite. Any of the nominees would've been worthy winners and that's not something I can say often.

Best Actress 2006, a ridiculously strong year for actresses, is missing from this lineup among several others (Best Actress 1939, for instance).

Edited By flipp525 on 1264611365
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Interesting idea, but some of his choices, particularly of 1946 as the best year ever for Best Director nominees with its snub of Alfred Hitchcock for his best 40s film (Notorious) and 1999 for Best Supporting Actress are ludicrous.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Incontention.com's Kris Tapley posted a very interesting article.

He lists down the Oscar categories throughout its 81 year history who he feels have the strongest group of nominees.

It'd be interesting to see some lists here as well.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”