Oscar Attendance

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Do you think Mo´Nique will show up?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It may also have something to do with their PR reps, most of them are going to insist they show up everywhere as publicity for the films and many stars may also have it listed in their contracts that they show to any PR opportunity for the film and the Oscars, whether they have much of a box office impact these days, are still a PR opportunity.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Most stars today feel that it's an honor to be nominated and think the least they can do is show up even if they feel they are not going to win.

They know that if they don't come some paparazzo somewhere is going to stick a microphone in their face and ask them why they weren't there so they might just as well go and be photographed on the red carpet.

What's also changed is that in the last two decades it's become almost impossible to get an Oscar nomination without campaigning and if you're going to campaign you're going to show up.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Probably because in the old days people read about the ceremony on newspapers and now they see it on 500 different places and stars really do want to show up everywhere.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I've been watching clips on the Oscars' youtube channel and I noticed that in the past, absent nominees and winners were a fairly common occurence. Even HONORARY awardees have been absent (Ingmar Bergman, Jean Renoir). These days, absent nominees and winners are relatively rare and I believe it started during the '90's. I can't help but wonder what changed this trend.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”