The Oscar Show Thread - Producers, hosts, etc. discussion

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

After what Stiller did on last year's telecast he shouldn't be allowed within 500 miles of an Oscar telecast for the next fifty years.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Damien wrote:(The team of Ben Stiller and Robert Downey, Jr. had earlier turned down the gig -- so be thankful for small favors.)
I'd heard this earlier today, and found the prospect so appalling that I feared for anyone who might be hired by a producer who considered that a good idea.

So, Martin and Baldwin is a major sigh of relief for me.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

OscarGuy wrote:I'm not saying anything against Steve or Alec. But the decision to put them together based on a movie they are starring in sets a precedent that suggests the producers aren't really looking at a good quality show, but a show that tries to do the worst things we hate about most shows.
Sort of like Whoopi Goldberg hosting the 1999 Academy Awards one week after the release of "The Deep End of the Ocean"? Or Billy Crystal singing in his opening montage "Be sure to see 'My Giant' in three weeks!"? Or Hugh Jackman hosting the Tony's the very year he's starring in "The Boy from Oz" and is considered a frontrunner for Best Actor?

The precedent was set years ago. Everyone seems to have made peace with it, and among the many factors that can make or break an Oscar broadcast, this ain't one of them.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't think the decision to put the two together is based on their being in a movie together, which even if it's a hit will be over by the time of the Oscars. If the movie were coming out in April it would be shameless promotion. I suspect they asked Martin and he said yes if his new buddy Alec could co-host.

I hope I'm wrong, but this strikes me as just one more bad idea. We're just going to get a bunch of tired old jokes. I guess with Hugh Jackman hosting the last Oscar show and Neil Patrick Harris hosting the Tonys and Emmys we should be thankful for a year of classy awards shows. Now it's back to business as usual. The only open question is who will be substituting for Heath Ledger in presenting Best Supporting Actress.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

anonymous wrote:Throw in Tina Fey as headwriter and I'll love this idea.
Yes, all we need is more Tina Fey overexposure.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm not saying anything against Steve or Alec. But the decision to put them together based on a movie they are starring in sets a precedent that suggests the producers aren't really looking at a good quality show, but a show that tries to do the worst things we hate about most shows.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Dumbest idea ever. The only reason they are co-hosting is because they are starring together in a movie...what shameless promotion.
And that movie will be old hat by Oscar time. And the word is already out that it's very bad, and even the actors are distancing themselves from it.

I think Steve Martin's by far the best Oscar host other than Bob Hope, but Baldwin can only drag him down.

(The team of Ben Stiller and Robert Downey, Jr. had earlier turned down the gig -- so be thankful for small favors.)
Ever seen Alec Baldwin in 30 Rock or host SNL. He's great.

Throw in Tina Fey as headwriter and I'll love this idea.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

November 14.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

How long can it be before we get the annual statement from Billy Crystal about how he was the first choice, and everyone who comes up to him on the street tells him that he was their favorite host ever, but that he just enjoys watching the show from home, and so he had to pass?
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

OscarGuy wrote:Dumbest idea ever. The only reason they are co-hosting is because they are starring together in a movie...what shameless promotion.

And that movie will be old hat by Oscar time. And the word is already out that it's very bad, and even the actors are distancing themselves from it.

I think Steve Martin's by far the best Oscar host other than Bob Hope, but Baldwin can only drag him down.

(The team of Ben Stiller and Robert Downey, Jr. had earlier turned down the gig -- so be thankful for small favors.)

Edited By Damien on 1257304480
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Dumbest idea ever. The only reason they are co-hosting is because they are starring together in a movie...what shameless promotion.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I like both very much, on an individual basis. But as a pairing, there's no yin to counter the yang.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

The Smugness begins!
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Breaking news:

Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin will co-host.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:Who?

Never heard of him.
High-profile choreographer turned film director who directed Hairspray which wasn't bad, IMO, but also directed Bedtime Stories, Bringing Down The House, The Wedding Planner.........

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”