BAFTA not increasing to ten

Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I did not even notice the "Ignore" feature until now. How odd. I wonder if I will ever be in a situation where I would feel that I need to use it.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

There's nobody here I can't stand to the point of ignoring them. Perhaps someone is ignoring me?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Except, Sonic, that it works great for those who don't moderate the forums, but with my position, it would be impossible for me to do such.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Exactly.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Not so, Wes. Since you've updated the website, there is a brand new "ignore" feature. If there is a poster we can't stand to read, we now have the option to block him out forever. No one has to be bothered by anyone if they so choose.

Frankly, I used to think an "ignore" feature was the coward's way out, but not anymore. Ever since that Invasion of the Psychopaths melodrama last year, I'm now all for it. Granted, for me the circumstances must be extreme, and as things stand now <s>there's no reason</s> there's very little reason to apply that option.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1248232508
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There's a difference. We all have to read it because it's in the way of other discussions. And I'm not just talking about you, but Eric, Flipp and Zahveed, all of whom have contributed to the matter. I just wish more people could let things go and avoid the conflict, because I'm tired of reading it where it isn't necessary.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Well, Oscar Guy, but like on tv, nobody has to read my posts (or see those movies) if he or she doesnt want to. There are so many channels. Maybe those movies arent so bad then...
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

You are right Italiano.

There are people who think in cliches, but once you manage to manifest your own "-ism" you become the entity you're railing against.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This reminds me of those terrible movies that keep showing up on television from time to time even though everyone's already seen the movie more times than they care to count, but it keeps getting re-broadcast because someone actually believes people like it or that some haven't already seen it, yet it does little more than annoy those who are trying to find something to actively engage in when they are bored, but can't find anything else on TV.
Wesley Lovell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Flipp, my dear Flipp, how shall I put it... Ok, let's just say that you have written this same post countless times, so honestly you are the last one who can accuse me of being repetitive. As for pathological... no, I wont say anything more, not now.

You say that you have studied Literature or something like that. So please, do it for me, SHOW it. Show me JUST ONCE that you can stop thinking in cliches and go to the roots of things, to the depth rather than the surface.

Or even "You are right Italiano" would be nice for once.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Crawling out of the woodwork for yet another round of European versus American standards of thought and practice? The shtick isn't even funny anymore; it's pathological. Honestly, do you have anything else to say? I can't think of a horse that's been beaten to death more than that one.

Edited By flipp525 on 1248200237
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Not everything they do, Eric, because as Mister Tee said they have also played the Oscar game in the past. But I guess this would have really been too much to follow, and their reaction in this case was, I will repeat it, Very European. And I love it.

Trust me, I know history. And while I didn't see all this coming so soon, it was easy, watching last year's cerimony WITHOUT blind, dutifully admiring eyes, to realize that something was changing, and in a very wrong way.

Ah, but you got the "five stars on stage". Good for you, but next time my friends please wake up. And at the cost of admitting that you are wrong, trust old Italiano more.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Big Magilla wrote:It has also been announced that no Oscar will be awarded for best song at next year's ceremony if none of the tunes are deemed to be good enough.
Man, this is getting all wrong.

These guys are so arrogant and at the same time irracionally incoherent: The Best Picture category deserves 10 nominees (in a desperate rating-seeking move) but the other ones doesn't? And now the Song category doesn't even deserve a regular award ("the lenght of the show must be strictly watched over!") based on what? on quality?

So, what if the same rule applies to the other categories: if no "great" performance is made by any supporting actor then let's take that category out too... Sounds impossible, right? But why they are getting this selective? This attitude onle makes the Academy seem less and less relevant in today's world. They're not a canon anymore.

I felt something strange in 2005 when Crash won. Since then my respect for the Academy only has grown thinner every year... sad thing.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Oh, I love how these start. The next three pages will be on this argument before someone tries to steer back on topic.

Who will say the other person made the attack first?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Just out of curiosity: when they moved their presentation to a few weeks before the Oscars, and started including films that hadn't yet been released in the UK but were eligible for AMPAS...were they being very European then, too?

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”