inky
Temp

Post by inky »

Additional point ...

2008:
- Oscar honors SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
- Razzie "honors" THE LOVE GURU

See the connection?

So, to link 1982 between 2008 Razzies ...

1982: Worst Picture INCHON is an Asia-themed film directed by a caucasian
2008: Worst Picture THE LOVE GURU is an Asia-themed film directed by a caucasian

Anybody wants to carry on from here?

Edited By inky on 1235522765
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Uri wrote:1982: Best Supporting Actor: Louis Gossit Jr. Playing the arch nemesis of the actor who got naked as American Gigolo.
2008: Heath Ledger. Playing the arch nemesis of the actor who got naked as American Psycho.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
inky
Temp

Post by inky »

How about ...

Best Original Screenplay:
1982: Gandhi, portrayed by the Best Actor winner
2008: Milk, portrayed by the Best Actor winner

Best Adapted Screenplay:
1982: Missing, about a father in search of his missing son
2008: Slumdog Millionaire, about a young man in search of his missing first love
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

Spoiler: re: The Reader
While Kate Winslet's single nomination effectively knocks out any Supporting Actress comparison to 1982, she is now the favorite for a Best Actress win that in 1982 went to Meryl Streep, also at age 33, playing someone haunted by the Holocaust who years later commits suicide.

Edited By Mike Kelly on 1234100085
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Uri wrote:1982: Best Supporting Actor: Louis Gossit Jr. Playing the arch nemesis the actor who got naked as American Gigolo.
That award still annoys me. Robert Preston and John Lithgow were infinitely more deserving.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

1982: Best Supporting Actor: Louis Gossit Jr. Playing the arch nemesis of the actor who got naked as American Gigolo.
2008: Heath Ledger. Playing the arch nemesis of the actor who got naked as American Psycho.

Edited By Uri on 1231947423
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Also, in 1982, nominee E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial was the top grossing picture of the decade. The Dark Knight is the top-grossing picture of this decade.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Ooo, I love conspiracies!
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

But, remember last year when everyone was thinking Julie Christie would get a career Oscar and a foreign muse knocked her out.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Makes perfect sense to me.

The only real question mark is best actress. I'm going with Streep based on career achievement recognition given the competition is nothing special.

I know some are completely bowled over by Sally Hawkins, but I suspect AMPAS voters will want to wait and see if she is a new force to be reckoned with or whether she will go the way of previous Mike Leigh nominated leading ladies - Brenda Blethyn and Imelda Staunton - go back to playing character roles after their one big splash.
Mike Kelly
Temp

Post by Mike Kelly »

Can't take credit for this as I read a comment about the possible parallels Oscarwise between those two years. I just expanded on it.

1982: Best Picture: Gandhi - a story that takes place in India
2008: Slumdog Millionaire
1982: Best Director: Richard Attenborough: British
2008: Danny Boyle: British
1982: Best Actress: Meryl Streep
2008: Meryl Streep
1982: Best Supporting Actress: Jessica Lange. Also nominated for Best Actress. Age 33. Her first Academy Award
2008: Kate Winslet: Also nominated for Best Actress. Age 33. Her first Award.
1982: Best Actor: Ben Kingsley: Autobiographical role in which he is assassinated.
2008: Sean Penn: Autobiographical role in which he is assassinated
1982: Best Supporting Actor: Louis Gossit Jr. A big thorn in the side of the lead actor throughout the movie until the end when he accepts him as his superior officer.
2008: Heath Ledger: A big thorn in the side of Batman until he is captured at the end.

OK that last comparison was pretty lame, and since we haven't even reached the nomination phase yet, all quite premature - but it seems every year has a kindred previous year to compare to. 1982 could fit the bill this year.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”