First Oscars

rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

No, that's the look of the site. Highly recommended by the way. My friend Robert Davis has a terrificly dry cinephile wit, and J. Robert Parks is also a very readable critic.

I'm glad so many people are reading the piece- I enjoyed writing it but it was especially gratifying to be linked on imdb, which is definitely a first for me.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

I also enjoyed your article Brian. One question: was it your idea to have a paisley border around the body of the article? Interesting and unusual look.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

No problem...I got it from the daily link at IMDB...you are hitting the bigtime now!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. And thanks for linking it FilmFan. I sometimes can behave too shyly around these kinds of things.

I noticed the same thing you did when tracking down title writers, Magilla. When doing research on Sunrise I dug up some interesting bits on that film's title-writers Katherine Hilliker and H.H. Caldwell. Right now I'm visiting my sister in Portland, OR, and away from my notes. But I'll post something on them when I'm back home.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Very interesting, Brian!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yes, very good, Brian. What did become of the title card writers?

A cursory look at the credits of some of them on IMDb reveals some went on to become successful screenwriters and directors, but most appear to have died in obscurity after their last jobs in 1930.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

A nice article from our own Brian Darr...nice work!

http://www.dailyplastic.com/2009/02/80-years-old-the-academy-awards/
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”