1-3. Lord of the Rings I, II, III
4. Babel
5. Crash
6. Juno
7. Moulin Rouge!
8. Million Dollar Baby
9. Good Night, and Good Luck.
10. Traffic
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

1. The Hours (2002)
2. Crash (2005)
3. A Beautiful Mind (2001)
4. Babel (2006)
5. Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
6. Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
7. Finding Neverland (2004)
8. Seabiscuit (2003)
9. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
10. Ray (2004)

Haven't seen: Master and Commander and The Reader
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

flipp525 wrote:I remain one of the few on the board who unabashedly loves The Hours.
Don't worry, I remain one of the few on the board who unabashedly loves (or at least really likes) Gangs of New York. It wouldn't get near my list. The Hours may top it, though.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

My list:

01. A Beautiful Mind
02. Chocolat
03. Crash
04. Babel
05. The Hours
06. The Reader
07. Seabiscuit
08. Ray
09. Finding Neverland
10. Little Miss Sunshine

I haven't seen: Slumdog Millionaire and Frost/Nixon.

Edited By anonymous on 1235827317
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Eric wrote:I'll do a list for this too, but I think I might open it up to the top eight categories, just for variety's sake.

Oooo..fun. I'm looking forward to reading that, Eric. (Is Abigail Breslin going to make your Best Supporting Actress list?)

I don't see how any list like this could exist without Gangs of New York somewhere near the top of it. Easily one of the worst nominated movies of the decade. Big Magilla is spot-on there (it's a vile, interminable piece of trash). Any of the LOTR films would easily make my list. That we were infected with them for three years is almost criminal.

I remain one of the few on the board who unabashedly loves The Hours.

Edited By flipp525 on 1234971154
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I had posted mine, but decided that since I haven't seen some of the worst offenders, I would refrain. After all, I'm sure some of them are worse than No Country for Old Men and The Pianist.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1234965747
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I'll do a list for this too, but I think I might open it up to the top eight categories, just for variety's sake.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I thought this deserved a thread of its own so I re-posted Sabin's selections from another post.

My picks:

1. Gangs of New York - vile, contemptible, historically inaccurate fist in your face crap saved only by the amazing set design and Daniel Day-Lewis' broad performance.
2. A Beautiful Mind - dumbed down portrait of schizophrenia.
3. Moulin Rouge! - ludicrous, anachronistic and completely asinine nonsense with one of the worst interpretations of a real-life character ever by John Leguizamo as Toulouse-Laurec.
4. Babel - its point, the lack of communication even by people who speak the same language, is hammered home over and over to the point of tedium.
5. Crash - well-done to a point, but only to a point.
6. Lost in Translation - charming once, but does not hold up to repeat viewings.
7. Chocolat - lots of talent involved here, but aside from Judi Dench, Lena Olin and the gorgeous cinematography, all fall below expectations.
8. Gladiator - 50s-early 60s sandal epics redux and about as good - no more, no less despite the advances in technology.
9. Seabiscuit - great tale, poorly told.
10. Finding Neverland - lovely when Kate Winslet and Julie Christie are on screen, disappointing otherwise.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1234964855
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

What's your list, Magilla?
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

My choices

1. Little Miss Sunshine
2. The Hours
3. Seabiscuit
4. Finding Neverland
5. The Aviator
6. Capote
7. Crash
8. A Beautiful Mind
9. Lost in Translation
10. Chocolat

Haven’t seen Babel, which I’m convinced would make my list. Haven’t seen The Reader either.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin's list in the Last Seen Movie thread:

WORST NOMINATED PICTURES OF THE DECADE
1. The Hours ('02)
2. Finding Neverland ('04)
3. Crash ('05) - OSCAR!
4. The Reader ('08)
5. A Beautiful Mind ('01) - OSCAR!
6. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ('08)
7. Babel ('08)
8. Chocolat ('00)
9. Seabiscuit ('03)
10. Nothing outwardly bad just problematic. A toss-up between the made-for-TV movie Ray ('04), the poorly structured Little Miss Sunshine ('06) and Slumdog Millionaire ('08), The Third Act of Moulin Rouge! ('01), and maybe Mystic River ('03) which I just saw again and does not hold up. Still can't put the hammer down on Gangs of New York or The Aviator despite their problems. Everything below Babel isn't really bad, just problematic or utterly bland.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”