The Oscar Clips Thread

jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Just to jump in with another possible scene from Downey Jnr. - the scene where he finaly breaks character uttering 'I think I might be nobody...'. That would be a better scene to show off his performance.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Amy Adams - A lot of people are going with the "Frosty the Snowman" scene but my favorite with her is the scene where she yells at a student and he apologizes to her in near tears and she apologizes softly back. I think that scene got her the nomination.

Josh Brolin - The scene where he gets mad at Harvey for not supporting his bill.

Viola Davis - "Only until June".

Robert Downey Jr. - Either "never go full retard" or "I don't break character till I'm done with the DVD commentary!"

Philip Seymour Hoffman - An excerpt from his opening sermon about doubt.

Angelina Jolie - Her initial phone call to the police is the single best scene of her acting in the film.

Heath Ledger - Tough to decide since virtually any 30 second excerpt of his performance could be a great clip. People are saying either the police interrogation scene or the "pencil trick" scene. But I'm gonna go with him daring Batman to kill him by ramming him with the badpod. "Hit me!"

Sean Penn - "I should've come home at 7" or any of the "I'm Harvey Milk and I'm here to recruit you!" scenes.

Brad Pitt - That scene under the sheets with young Daisy.

Meryl Streep - Part of her final confrontation scene with Hoffman where she admits to having committed mortal sins.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Of the ones I've seen:

Penn: "I know you're angry. I'm angry, too!"

Rourke: "I haven't been a good father."

Langella: "Did you do any fornicating last night?"

Pitt: How about a piece of wood drifting down a river? That's what this performance is to me.

Winslet: A non-spoilerish trial scene.

Streep: Putting the picture of the Pope on the wall.

Hathaway: Her look of horror when Dewitt announces her pregnancy.

Henson: I second the choice of Field.

Cruz: I really don't care, hated this movie.

Davis: His father beats him.

Adams: Frosty the Snowman.

Tomei: Outside the clothing store.

Downey: "What do you mean, 'you people?'"

Ledger: It's all a blur, so any scene would work.

Hoffman: Don't believe you're weak.

Brolin: Drunk party scene.

Shannon: I'm glad I'm not gonna be that kid.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

BEST ACTOR
Richard Jenkins - agree with every word you said, dws. I think they should pick his table conversation ("I pretend...")

Frank Langella - "When the president does it, it's not illegal."

Sean Penn - "This is our lives we're talking about here." (should be his Franco pick-up scene)

Brad Pitt - Under the table with Daisy.

Mickey Rourke - "I'm an old broken down piece of meat..." (cut to: Every man in the audience crying)

BEST ACTRESS
Anne Hathaway - the whammy Spoiler of a Confession monologue. Should be her toast scene.

Angelina Jolie - whatever clip it is, she will be asking for her son.

Melissa Leo - holding a gun on that one guy. I don't know eiter.

Meryl Streep - "You must understand that or you will mistake me."

Kate Winslet - haven't seen it yet.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Josh Brolin - acting like a child when Harvey doesn't back his bill.

Robert Downey Jr. - I disagree. I think his entire performance can be quoted. It's either: "I'm a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude." OR: "What do you mean 'You people?'"/"What do YOU mean, 'You people?'"

Philip Seymour Hoffman - "There are people who will say that the light inside of you makes you weak. Don't believe it."

Heath Ledger - It's not just what clip...but where do we leave Heath AND this legendary performance? It's probably going to be the Interrogation Room scene. It has insight and the laugh. THE BEST SCENE WITH HEATH LEDGER IN THIS FILM occurs immediately after with that cop that comes in. It is the stuff of genius.

Joker: How many of your friends did I kill?
Cop: I'm a twenty-year man. I can tell the difference between punks who need a little lesson in manners, and the freaks like you who just enjoy it. And six.
(Joker awkwardly mouths the word "six?!?")
Joker: Do you know why I use a knife? With a gun you can't savor the little details from afar. In their final moments, you get to know who these people really are. So in a way, I got to know your friends better than you ever did. Would you like me to tell you which ones were cowards?

Michael Shannon - basically the clip will be his entire performance. Maybe "I'm glad I'm not gonna be that kid."

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams - Frosty the Snowman.

Penelope Cruz - Jeen-yus!

Viola Davis - talking about his father beating him.

Taraji P. Henson - I hope they show a clip of Sally Field. She will be asking about how many happy adventures he's had.

Marisa Tomei - right before he goes out for one last round.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Assuming they do clips this year, any predictions?

I'll do some that I've seen:

Jenkins - That poorly written outburst at the detention center--"You can't just take peole away like that."

Langella - Probably from the last interview. Either "When you're President, it's not illegal", or "I let down the country. Worst of all, I let down our system of government". But I'd really like to see them use the last scene between Langella and Sheen--"You have no idea how fortunate that makes you...Liking people, and being liked."

Pitt - Scene under the table with the young Daisy, probably.

Jolie - "I'm even taking care of that boy because right now I'm all he has. What worries me is that you've stopped looking for Walter."

Leo - I don't really remember a single scene that screamed Oscar clip. Probably one of her scenes on a run with Misty Upham.

Streep - "I will do what needs to be done...You should understand that or you will mistake me."

Winslet - Possibly a scene at the trial if they can show one without giving away spoilers.

Downey - Nothing in the forty-five minutes I invested in this seemed like a possible Oscar clip to me.

Hoffman - The final confrontation with Streep where he yells the entire time.

Ledger - "Why so serious?"

Adams - "You don't like it that he likes Frosty the Snowman. And you're letting that convince you of something terrible, just terrible."

Cruz - No clue. The appeal of the film and the performance is far beyond me.

Davis - Any section from her scene would work well enough.

Henson - Benjamin returns from the war, or very early in the film when Benjamin is first placed on the doorstep.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Brad Pitt: Under the dinner table at night

Heath Ledger: Interrogation scene or "I'm Not Crazy" scene

Robert Downey Jr.: Full Retard scene or the Identity Crisis

Dev Patel: The fight with his brother, the bathroom stall, or when he's talking about seeing Rama

Frank Langella: When you're the president, it's not illegal
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Josh Brolin: The birthday party
Sean Penn: The bed scene with James Franco?
James Franco: The dinner table scene?

Meryl Streep: Telling Amy Adams she needs to watch out
Amy Adams: "You don't like him because he likes Frosty the Snowman"
Viola Davis: Not too much to choose from.
P.S. Hoffman: The first scene where he figures out what Meryl Streep is doing

Penelope Cruz: "I looked through your suitcase"
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

BEST ACTOR
Richard Jenkins: The scene where he blows up when he finds out his friend has been deported.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Robert Downey Jr.: The scene below...

Kirk Lazarus: Everybody knows you never go full retard.
Tugg Speedman: What do you mean?
Kirk Lazarus: Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, 'Rain Man,' look retarded, act retarded, not retarded. Counted toothpicks, cheated cards. Autistic, sho'. Not retarded. You know Tom Hanks, 'Forrest Gump.' Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and won a ping-pong competition. That ain't retarded. Peter Sellers, "Being There." Infantile, yes. Retarded, no. You went full retard, man. Never go full retard. You don't buy that? Ask Sean Penn, 2001, "I Am Sam." Remember? Went full retard, went home empty handed...

Heath Ledger: Why so serious? Or the interrogation scene. Or his final scene in which he tells Batman that he thinks that the two of them will be battling each other forever. Actually, come to think of it, basically any one of his scenes could be used.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Based on what I know from each movie, these clips would seem likely:

BEST ACTOR
Leonardo DiCaprio (his reaction after Michael Robbins leaves after the second dinner scene)
Clint Eastwood (the "Get off my lawn" scene)
Richard Jenkins (need to see it)
Frank Langella (the Drink and Dial scene or the
Sean Penn (will be seeing it soon)
Brad Pitt (his scene with Cate at the playground)
Mickey Rourke (the reaching out to his daughter scene)

BEST ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett (something from the New York sequence)
Anne Hathaway (need to see it)
Sally Hawkins (need to see it)
Angelina Jolie (lot of clips for the "I want my son back" have been playing for this film)
Melissa Leo (need to see it)
Kristin Scott-Thomas (need to see it)
Meryl Streep (need to see it)
Kate Winslet (Revolutionary Road) (her pleading to go to France)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Josh Brolin (need to see it)
Robert Downey Jr. (either the home cookin scene or the I don't know who I am scene)
Ralph Fiennes (need to see both Reader & Duchess)
James Franco (need to see it)
Philip Seymour Hoffman (need to see it)
Heath Ledger (Why so serious or the whole Dent hospital scene)
Dev Patel (need to see it)
Michael Shannon (his second dinner conversation w Leo)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams (need to see it)
Penelope Cruz (need to see it)
Viola Davis (need to see it)
Rosemarie DeWitt (need to see it)
Taraji P. Henson (the announcing of a new guest scene)
Marisa Tomei (her scene with Rourke in his van where she says he should talk to his daughter)
Debra Winger (need to see it)
Kate Winslet (The Reader) (hearing a lot about the courtroom scene)
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

At this point, we can pretty much narrow down the possible field of contenders in the 4 acting categories to about 7-8 people each competing for the 5 slots with a few sure things and a couple of possible longshots.

I guess we can speculate which clips should or will they use (if they use clips at all). Damien could bring these to Bill Condon.

BEST ACTOR
Leonardo DiCaprio
Clint Eastwood
Richard Jenkins
Frank Langella
Sean Penn
Brad Pitt
Mickey Rourke

BEST ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett
Anne Hathaway
Sally Hawkins