Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Coolness.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

If anyone is in Chicago before Sunday, this is a very nice display my wife and I went to see today.

In the Nordstrom building on Michigan Avenue, there is a display from AMPAS called Meet the Oscars. It is a chance to see a handful of Academy Awards up close and personal. When you walk in, there is a lineup of six Oscars that will be used in the 82nd ceremony. Following that, there is a collection of six Oscars in various states of construction. You can really see them from the initital casting (in bronze maybe...there is no text to the display, so you cannot learn anything from this) through to completion. It is neat to see.

The next stop is Clark Gable's 1934 Best Actor Oscar. This was famously purchased in auction by Steven Spielberg in 1995 and given back to the Academy. It looks slightly different than the other Oscars, both because it is a different hue and a little smaller, without the large base they are on now. It was flanked by two photos, one of Gable holding the Oscar and a wideshot of the 1934 ceremony.

The highlight, though, is you can then have your picture taken holding an actual Oscar. I don't know if anyone here has ever held one, but the reactions on stage are not fake. They are much heavier than they look. The cool part is the one everyone gets to hold will be given out next year, at the 82nd Oscars!

For my Facebook friends, I am posting some pictures in a bit. It is small, but well worth seeing for true Oscar fans like us:)
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”