This year Oscar trivia

barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Here is one I came up with:

Each acting category has exactly one nominee that is......what?
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Well then I got at least one of them right!
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Frost/Nixon has the scene where Frost's men yell at him when he asks them out to dinner, and he tells them it is his birthday. Then they celebrate at the bar with Hugh Hefner.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

It may turn out I don't know the answers to all of them. But the birthdays and hankerchieves stood out for me as a commonality between some of the films.

I only remember two of the films with a handkerchief sequence. There could be more.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1234217917
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I was just taking a shot in the dark. So many films nowadays don't have opening sequences I can't remember which ones do and which ones don't.

The second question was easier. I don't remember whether there was a a birthday in Frost/Nixon or not, but I do know the others had one or more.

The last question is not something I would ordinarily take notice of but in retrospect it seems like of them had such a scene.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:1) None.

Not true. Milk has opening credits played out over real footage of gay bar raids.

Edited By flipp525 on 1234216438
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

1) None.

2) All.

3) All.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Some trivia questions I thought of. And I mean "trivia" as in utterly trivial, but hopefully fun:

How many of the five Oscar nominated films have opening credits (my favorite subject)?

How many in which the title character is celebrating a birthday?

How many in which someone wipes his hand with a handkerchief?

-------------------

Can anyone else think of anything equally insignificant?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

I love trivia, so I'll start.

Grammatically speaking, the title role of TCCoBB is the curious case and not Benjamin Button, and one can argue that all the four main characters in The Visitor are, well, visitors. These nitpicking aside, the lineup of this year best actor is the first one ever in which all five actors are nominated for playing the title role of their respective films. Back in 1931-32, in the same category, Wallace Beary was nominated for The Champ, Alfred Lunt for The Guardsman and Fredric March for Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, but indeed there were only three nominees that year.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”