This year Oscar trivia

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

If Ledger wins who´ll receive on his behalf?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Big Magilla wrote:If Heath Ledger wins the Best Supporting Actor award for The Dark Knight, he'll be only the second posthumous acting winner ever, after Network's Peter Finch in 1977. Like Ledger, Finch had earned one prior nomination, and like Ledger, it was for playing a gay man, in 1971's Sunday Bloody Sunday.
If Ledger wins, they will both have been winning for playing severely mentally unbalanced people.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

More, from E.W.:

With his Best Director nomination for The Reader, Stephen Daldry has become the first director ever to receive nods for his first three films. (The other two were Billy Elliot and The Hours.)

This year, three of the four winning lead-acting performances at the Golden Globes (Kate Winslet in Revolutionary Road, Sally Hawkins in Happy-Go-Lucky, and Colin Farrell for In Bruges) weren't nominated for the Oscar. That marks the first time that's happened since 1954, when Spencer Tracy (The Actress), David Niven (The Moon is Blue), and Ethel Merman (Call Me Madam) failed to score Oscar nods after winning the Globe.

Best Supporting Actress nominee Penélope Cruz has become the fourth actor to receive nominations for performing in two different languages. Ingrid Bergman’s seven noms include a Swedish-language role in Autumn Sonata, Robert De Niro spoke Sicilian in The Godfather Part II, and Benicio Del Toro spoke Spanish in Traffic (and English in 21 Grams).

Waltz With Bashir is the first animated film ever to be nominated for Best Foreign Language Film.

This year marks only the fifth time in Oscar history that the Best Picture and Best Director races matched 5 for 5. It last happened just three years ago, when Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Crash, Good Night and Good Luck, and Munich were recognized in both categories.

With Frank Langella's nod for Frost/Nixon, Richard Nixon is the first president more than one man has been Oscar-nominated for playing. (Anthony Hopkins scored a nod for Nixon in 1996.)

If Heath Ledger wins the Best Supporting Actor award for The Dark Knight, he'll be only the second posthumous acting winner ever, after Network's Peter Finch in 1977. Like Ledger, Finch had earned one prior nomination, and like Ledger, it was for playing a gay man, in 1971's Sunday Bloody Sunday.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

rainbard and magilla are correct.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Sonic Youth wrote:A Tony winner.

Frank Langella, Meryl Streep, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman all have one. Viola Davis has FOUR Tony awards.

If I'm wrong and a second person in a category has one, I confess I didn't research it so deeply.
Viola Davis only has one Tony; I think you must have her confused with Audra McDonald, who has four.

Frank Langella has three.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Well, here's something unusual I noticed -- and I might as well just tell you, because it's too obscure to be picked up on except by accident:

Each of the four acting categories, and the directing category, features at least one former winner, one non-winning former nominee and one first-timer.

How unusual is this quinella? I killed an hour by scanning the lsts, and found only two prior years -- 1956 and 1998 -- featured the same configuration.

(You could expand the list to include 2003 if you counted Tim Robbins' earlier directing nomination against his acting nod, but that wasn't the spirit of my search)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rain Bard wrote:
barrybrooks8 wrote:Here is one I came up with:

Each acting category has exactly one nominee that is......what?

...the only person nominated for his or her film in any category.
I believe that's the answer.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sonic Youth wrote:Magilla, you said "all". Maybe, but I have no memory of it in the other films. Where else?
Dunno, I have no specific recollection.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sonic Youth wrote:A Tony winner.

Frank Langella, Meryl Streep, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman all have one. Viola Davis has FOUR Tony awards.

If I'm wrong and a second person in a category has one, I confess I didn't research it so deeply.

Nope. Streep and Hoffman have been nominated for Tony awards, but never won.

Edited By flipp525 on 1234231577
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

A Tony winner.

"What the hell?"
Win Butler
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

rain Bard wrote:nope, Best Actress has two.
Stupid Angelina Jolie...I'm always forgetting about her.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

nope, Best Actress has two.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

A former winner?
- Minor Myers, Jr.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

barrybrooks8 wrote:Here is one I came up with:

Each acting category has exactly one nominee that is......what?

either:

...going to be one of the few new Oscar winners not connected with Slumdog Millionaire in two weeks.

or:

...the only person nominated for his or her film in any category.

Edited By rain Bard on 1234229957
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

To get back to my questions for a second. Frost/Nixon also had opening credits. Benjamin Button, The Reader and Slumdog did not.

Filmfan, you're right about the birthday question. Harvey Milk's birthday plays a very important role in the film. But if Jamal celebrated a birthday in Slumdog, I need a reminder when in the film that was.

Handkerchief: In Frost/Nixon, Swifty Lazar was a hygeine freak, and uses one after a handshake; in Milk, a business owner across the street promptly wipes his hands after meeting Milk.

Magilla, you said "all". Maybe, but I have no memory of it in the other films. Where else?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”