Who do you most want as Oscar host? - who hasn't hosted (yet)

Who do you most want as Oscar host? - who hasn't hosted (yet)

Jay Leno
No votes
Ricky Gervais
16%
Conan O'Brien
16%
Stephen Colbert
3%
Tina Fey
16%
Nathan Lane
6%
Sarah Silverman
No votes
Emma Thompson
25%
Jerry Seinfeld
6%
Other (please specify)
13%

Total votes: 32

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I'm still with Conan.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I feel the exact opposite with the way you feel about Conan O'Brien and Jerry Seinfeld. I think Conan's a brilliant comedian while Jerry's the overrated one.

Based on the couple of stand-up routines of his I've seen, I do not find Jerry Seinfeld particularly funny. I like his show but mostly because of the writing and the three other actors. His presence in the show is, at best, fairly adequate only. I think Larry David is what made the show. Not Jerry.
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

I don't think it would be horrible if leno did it, espesially in his last year doing the tonight show...i don't really watch the tonight show unless i'm flipping and headlines is on...so i watch it about twice a year for about five minutes. But i don't think he would do a bad job.

I would not like it if conan is the host, i am in the minority but i've never found the guy to be even a little funny and he annoys me.

I don't think they would pick gervais or colbert or silverman...oscar hosts are either movie stars, major talk show hosts or top national comedians...they fall just under that....but out of these three i would absolutely love to see silverman, but i think all three of these are very funny and they would all do a great job.

With Tina Fey having the year she's had with palin and nathan lane being a face everybody knows, i think these are two they would maybe pick. But i would pass on both personally...but with no ill feelings.

So that leaves emma and jerry....i love emma thompson and i think she would do a great job....and i think everybody would love her. But my vote is for jerry...i have always loved his stand up and i think his stand up is in the legendary catorgory...so i think it would be very interesting if he got a chance to do this.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

How about putting Helen Mirren and Emma Thompson together on stage as co-hosts?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Emma Thompson. Her inimitable wit and class act would be the perfect combination.

Edited By flipp525 on 1225339682
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

What about Stephen Fry?
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I think an entertainer would be more fun than someone who is primarily a comedian. I mean, in the past you had people like Frank Sinatra, Jack Lemmon, Sammy Davis, Jr., etc. Harry Connick, Jr.? Hey, why not have Jack Nicholson do it? Umm, Zac Efron? Haha, just kidding. Queen Latifah?

Or, you could have a personality....Bill O'Reilly! Wouldn't that just be shocking and ironic and wonderful....you don't like it, do you?

What about Bill Murray? Oh, that would be sort of the "comedian" category, wouldn't it?

Shirley MacLaine...oh, she already hosted years ago.

All I know is that it's become kind of uneventful whoever the host is. All recent hosts have been merely acceptable, without any excitment. Billy Crystal was always good and kept the show entertaining... Steve Martin was a lively host... but no one matches Bob Hope or Johnny Carson, and they were before my time really. I only seriously started watching the Oscars in the mid-1990s.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'd love to see Conan host but I don't think he's going to get a shot until he hosts the Tonight Show.

Honestly, can we please just have multiple hosts again? Why hasn't this happened in two decades or something? Let's get a series of funny people as a life preserver.

If there's a return host, it's going to be either Jon Stewart, Ellen, or Billy Crystal. Ellen's rambling vanilla one-liners are anathema to the requirements of an Oscar host. Steve Martin would be wonderful but there's really no reason. He's not in the limelight right now and he hasn't done it enough to get people excited. Chris Rock tanked too hard. Whoopi Goldberg will never happen again. Billy Crystal would bring a lot of people back but he was old almost twenty years ago and he was impossibly cranky five years ago. I don't see the latter happening again. I hope they draft Stewart again. I don't understand the complaints against him.
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

As long as it isn't Jay Leno...I don't think there is an unfunnier human being on the planet.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Emma Thompson is in my mind
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Jay Leno would be a good choice but too safe. Ricky Gervais isn't too popular to American audiances yet, and I understand that other countries watch the program but the hosts for the most part represent America for that moment in time. Conan O'Brien would be a great choice, and my pick, but he's best when he improvises and I'm worried the scripted jokes will faulter. Steven Colbert is inspired, but his character's arrogance might put some people off. Tina Fey is a hot commodity right now and is a safe-yet-edgy choice. Nathan Lane? I don't mind him, I think he's hilarious in interviews, but he might annoy audiances much like Chris Rock in his year hosting. Sarah Silverman is too offensive, I love her for it though, but won't be used any time soon to host such a prestigeous event. And Jerry Seinfeld is done for. He's less relevant than Billy Crystal.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

OscarGuy wrote:Penelope, if they actually did that, I think you'd have a coronary (of excitement, of course)...
Oh, the whole world stop in awe from all the glorious-ness on display!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Penelope, if they actually did that, I think you'd have a coronary (of excitement, of course)...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Co-hosts: Kate Winslet and Jérémie Renier.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Emma Thompson is an inspired idea.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”