Kate Winslet in The Reader - Lead or Supporting?

Kate Winslet in The Reader - Lead or Supporting?

Lead
86%
Supporting
14%

Total votes: 21

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

criddic3 wrote:But there is a way to justify placing her in supporting (mostly as a way to give her double-placement
Pity that didn't happen.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

This is tough for me, because the character of Kate Winslet's is being viewed through another character. I can't recall a lot of time where we see her without the Kross character, but we do see his character on his own quite a bit.

You could make the "Anthony Hopkins in 'Lambs'" argument, since his character is talked about in scenes where he isn't present, just as Winslet's is. But there is a way to justify placing her in supporting (mostly as a way to give her double-placement), without too much difficulty by using the "character perception" argument mentioned above.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Lead or support it's obvious the Academy wants to award Kate Winslet in the lead category. I'm not complaining.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Eric wrote:Did you offer a review of THE READER somewhere on this board Damien? I'd love to see your thoughts.
Just posting it now, Eric.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Did you offer a review of THE READER somewhere on this board Damien? I'd love to see your thoughts.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

She's lead, and she's not very good.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

She's a lead, and I agree with those who think it's not much of a gray area.

Winslet's not in EVERY scene in The Reader, but she's never gone from the movie for all that long. For me, it's akin to arguing that her role in Eternal Sunshine was a supporting one as well.

My way of thought is that if a movie is primarily about the relationship between two people, which The Reader unequivocally is, then both of them are leads.

Plus, if the "so-and-so is not a big star" argument is commonly used to justify incorrect placement in supporting, I'll play that game and argue that Winslet IS a big star and thus has no business being in the supporting category unless it's genuinely a supporting role.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I'd say that if she's supporting, then so are Reese Witherspoon in Walk the Line, and so is Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada and so is Julie Christie in Away From Her.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

She's Lead in the same way Hopkins was in Silence of the Lambs. Winslet may not have featured in ever scene, but her presence is all over the film.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Which do you think is the most accurate category classification for the role of Hanna in The Reader?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”