Who deserves a Lifetime Achievement Award?

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

The lovely Leslie "Lili" Caron may be considered.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

jack wrote:I've said this time and time again, and I'll continue to say time and time again 'til I'm blue in the face..............

Give an Honorary Award to George A. Romero.

Please.

And I know that I'll have passed away beyond the colour blue when (if) it finaly happens.
The point Jack is that he isn´t old enough.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I'll second that, jack. A much-more worthwhile winner than many of the winners in this category.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I've said this time and time again, and I'll continue to say time and time again 'til I'm blue in the face..............

Give an Honorary Award to George A. Romero.

Please.

And I know that I'll have passed away beyond the colour blue when (if) it finaly happens.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Doris Day.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think Angela Lansbury should get an Honorary Oscar.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

There are too many far more important individuals to honor before we get to a trailer voice-over guy.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Damien wrote:Is he the guy who did all those Miramax trailers ("In a world of frightening nature and unbridled passions, a piano is a nice thing to have . . . " )? God, I hate him.

Whatever happened with just doing your job well without thinking of getting awarded for it?
Well, with all the trailers he's done in the past 40 plus years, he's certainly done more than just the Miramax trailers. I'm not sure which trailer you're referring to, per se (I'm guessing The Piano), but it probably was. Don't know what there is to hate about him, but oh well.

I've never heard that he's complained about not receiving any awards. Actually, come to think of it, I've never heard him complain about never receiving credit for his work before. I was just saying that someone as hard-working and prolific as Don LaFontaine is would be a very worthy recipient for a Lifetime Achievement Oscar. After all, some say that he is responsible for creating the modern movie trailer, which is actually the most important part of a film's PR campaign.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this to become a Don LaFontaine appreciation thread. I was hoping I could spark a discussion where everyone could weigh in on who they think is overdue for an Honorary Oscar.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Is he the guy who did all those Miramax trailers ("In a world of frightening nature and unbridled passions, a piano is a nice thing to have . . . " )? God, I hate him.

Whatever happened with just doing your job well without thinking of getting awarded for it?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

After the nice tribute to voice-over artists at the SAG this year, anything is possible. It would definately be well-deserved.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I didn't know where to create this thread, so I figured this is about as good a place as any to do it. Anyway, here's a name I'd like to throw into the pot, even though this will likely NEVER happen (and a name that has probably NEVER occurred to anyone)...

Don LaFontaine.

Now, I'm guessing most of you are probably wondering who the hell Don LaFontaine is, which is sad because he's arguably the most prolific person in the movie industry today (and possibly ever). You all know his voice, even if you don't know his name, because his is the most instantly recognizable voice in the history of the movies (at least in the United States). He is the voice of movie trailers. He's probably the hardest working actor in Hollywood, voicing as many as 60 promos a week and more than 5,000 movie trailers and TV spots in his career. And he's been doing it a looong time; the first trailer he recorded was for Dr. Strangelove in 1964.

Anyway, if ever there was anyone in Hollywood as unappreciated for his work than Don LaFontaine (and who has no chance of ever winning a competitive Academy Award), I don't know who it is. And the sad thing is, as a voice-over actor for trailers and commercials, he has never received credit for any of his work! In my opinion, he's one of the few people in the movie industry truly deserving of a Lifetime Achievement Award. But it'll never happen. The guy doesn't even have a star on the Hollywood Walk-of-Fame!

What do you guys think?
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”