Oscar nominated child performers: Boys vs. Girls

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:I don't know where else to put it so I'll just put it here:

"The Dakota Fanning Show" on SNL. LOL.
That was hilarious. Thanks!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I don't know where else to put it so I'll just put it here:

"The Dakota Fanning Show" on SNL. LOL.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Booster Gold wrote:
anonymous wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:If you upped the cut-off to 21 you could add Mickey Rooney (Babes in Arms), Timothy Hutton (Ordinary People), River Phoenix (Running on Empty) and Leonardo DiCaprio (What's Eating Gilbert Grape), but then you'd also have to add Angela Lansbury twice (Gaslight, The Picture of Dorian Gray), Joan Lorring (The Corn Is Green), Isabelle Adjani (The Story of Adele H) and Keira Knightley (Pride & Prejudice).

And Juliette Lewis in Cape Fear and Kate Winslet in Sense and Sensibility.

And Mariel Hemingway (Manhattan).
And Diane Varsi (1957-Peyton Place)
Booster Gold
Graduate

Post by Booster Gold »

anonymous wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:If you upped the cut-off to 21 you could add Mickey Rooney (Babes in Arms), Timothy Hutton (Ordinary People), River Phoenix (Running on Empty) and Leonardo DiCaprio (What's Eating Gilbert Grape), but then you'd also have to add Angela Lansbury twice (Gaslight, The Picture of Dorian Gray), Joan Lorring (The Corn Is Green), Isabelle Adjani (The Story of Adele H) and Keira Knightley (Pride & Prejudice).

And Mariel Hemingway (Manhattan).
"God? He is the biggest bitch of them all."
- Christophe (South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut)
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

No, in this case, it was clear that Bruce Willis' character was the lead role, but Osment's unexpectedly impressive performance dominated the film.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Problem was, Osment was in the wrong category--shoulda been in Lead Actor, thus allowing Jude Law to win for The Talented Mr. Ripley.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Caine does know how give a respectable speech, but he'd won before, and though I know he missed a stage appearance at the Oscars because he was filming ...ahem....Jaws the Revenge, Osment should have still won.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

criddic3 wrote:Haley Joel Osment's loss the year before for his haunting work in The Sixth Sense, which was better than many adult performances.
Haley Joel Osment really did deserve to win that year. Michael Caine's speech was lovely though.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

In 2000, I raised this question in my annual Oscar Packet, which I create every year for the annual family Oscar party. My inspiration was the snub of Jamie Bell for Billy Elliot, as well as Haley Joel Osment's loss the year before for his haunting work in The Sixth Sense, which was better than many adult performances.

My bigger complaint is about the boys losing, while the girls have won twice. It seems very lop-sided. It may be because girls are expected to be more emotional than boys, and therefore gain more sympathy from voters.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

If you upped the cut-off to 21 you could add Mickey Rooney (Babes in Arms), Timothy Hutton (Ordinary People), River Phoenix (Running on Empty) and Leonardo DiCaprio (What's Eating Gilbert Grape), but then you'd also have to add Angela Lansbury twice (Gaslight, The Picture of Dorian Gray), Joan Lorring (The Corn Is Green), Isabelle Adjani (The Story of Adele H) and Keira Knightley (Pride & Prejudice).

Oddly enough, 1945 had three supporting actress nominees under 21 and they still failed to nominate the best of the lot, Peggy Ann Garner in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, who had to make do with an honorary Oscar. Some, not me though, would say Elizabeth Taylor (National Velevt) might also have been considered before Ann Blyth (Mildred Pierce), Angela Lansbury (The Picture of Dorian Gray) and Joan Lorring (The Corn Is Greeb). The counter-argument, of course, would be that Garner and Taylor were leads in their films and therefore ineleigble for supporting consideration.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Just found this site.

It's not updated to include Abigail Breslin though.

Ah yes. I was probably thinking of River Phoenix as that one teen actor I forgot. But he was 18 at the time of the nominations so technically, he just missed the cut.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

why was Dakota snubbed so far?
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:You forgot Ann Blyth, who at 17 and 165 days when nominated for Mildred Pierce, was younger than Natalie Wood, who was 17 years and 222 days when nominated for Rebel. :D
Edited!

Jeez, the girls list is getting longer and longer. I feel that there's at least one more under 18 boy that we're forgetting.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

You forgot Ann Blyth, who at 17 and 165 days when nominated for Mildred Pierce, was younger than Natalie Wood, who was 17 years and 222 days when nominated for Rebel. :D

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”