Eeewwww

Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Big Magilla wrote:Interestingly in the midst of all this Miss USA nonsense I got a piece of mail with a return address from "Donald Trump, New York" yesterday in the shape of a card. Thinking that either I somehow got on his Christmas list or someone was pulling a practical joke I rushed to open the card. Enclosed with the card was two tickets to see and hear his daughter Ivanka give a seminar based on his real estate tips. Per the Donald's printed message, the tickets were worth $149 each. Per me, they're as worthless as Miss USA's tiara.
Hey she had to change costumes and answer a really vague question to get that tiara!
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Damien wrote:I turned on MSNBC this morning hoping to catch up on overnight international news (like Iraq, for example). Instead, I got Tom O'Neil talking about Miss USA and Donald Trump.
Or as O'Neil would call them - a horny straight chap and a nice gal.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Interestingly in the midst of all this Miss USA nonsense I got a piece of mail with a return address from "Donald Trump, New York" yesterday in the shape of a card. Thinking that either I somehow got on his Christmas list or someone was pulling a practical joke I rushed to open the card. Enclosed with the card was two tickets to see and hear his daughter Ivanka give a seminar based on his real estate tips. Per the Donald's printed message, the tickets were worth $149 each. Per me, they're as worthless as Miss USA's tiara.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I turned on MSNBC this morning hoping to catch up on overnight international news (like Iraq, for example). Instead, I got Tom O'Neil talking about Miss USA and Donald Trump.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Ok I didn't want OscarGuy's sad post to be the last thing in this thread (are you ok dude? You sound a little depressed actually, all joking aside)

So....

Tom O'Neil is a douchebag.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm not saying I want to be Tom O'Neil. I just want the success or profit-making that he enjoys. He does what he does because he loves it whether he's an imbecile or not...I just hate having to waste eight hours of precious time during the day doing a job that I severely dislike or even hate.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

OscarGuy wrote: True, but it would be amazingly nice to actually be able to market my site and make a living instead of, in about a month, having to go get a boring, mindless, useless job to pay the bills.

But at the end of the day you don't have to look at yourself in the mirror and know that you're...Tom O Neil! Seriously, Damien's right. Some things aren't worth a complete lack of self awareness or shame.

I perused his site a few times and I've vowed never to go back. What a loon!
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I thought O'Neil lived in New York and commuted to Lalaland for "kudos" fests.

You know, Wes, working at your true love is not necessarily the best thing. You don't ever want to get to the point where working at it becomes a chore. You need an outside job for medical benefits and to stash away income in a 401K plan so you can retire before you get too old to enjoy it.

Since I was very young I imagined myself a Hollywood mogul, entertaining family and friends with films only a mogul could afford to have in his possession. Now, of course, anyone can collect films, and I do.

In the meantime I never took myself seriously at business as I always thought of the jobs I had as not being the real me and as a consequence I was extremely successul, being able to retire at 62 while still in relative good health. Now I have to diplomatically fend off requests to return to work on a consultant basis at 150% of my ending salary.

Your site kept me sane from 1998 on while I sat in meaningless telephone conferences that went on for hours. I would sit there typing away while people babbled on and on about nothing. Of course it took a long while to get to the point where I could lock myself away in an office and do that, but nothing is meaningless if it pays the bills to support your true love.

O'Neil's true love is not his website, but his Oscar memorabilia, stuff he buys at exhorbitant prices. No one's life is perfect.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Damien wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Pioneered? What a fruit loop. He lives in Hollywood is the only thing this wind bag has over me. I started MY site TEN years ago, so I think I've got a bit more longevity over him. I just don't have the networking prowess.

You also don't have the embarrassingly limitless zeal for shameless self-promotion -- or the desire to go on cable tv shows to dis cuss the latest Paris Hilton or Star Jones "scandal."
True, but it would be amazingly nice to actually be able to market my site and make a living instead of, in about a month, having to go get a boring, mindless, useless job to pay the bills.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

OscarGuy wrote:Pioneered? What a fruit loop. He lives in Hollywood is the only thing this wind bag has over me. I started MY site TEN years ago, so I think I've got a bit more longevity over him. I just don't have the networking prowess.
You also don't have the embarrassingly limitless zeal for shameless self-promotion -- or the desire to go on cable tv shows to dis cuss the latest Paris Hilton or Star Jones "scandal."
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Pioneered? What a fruit loop. He lives in Hollywood is the only thing this wind bag has over me. I started MY site TEN years ago, so I think I've got a bit more longevity over him. I just don't have the networking prowess.
Wesley Lovell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I've been interviewed by Sacha Stone and she was uncommonly warm and intelligent. And I have friends who know her and speak glowingly of her. But then there's Tom O'Neil. And this is Tom O'Neil at his most Tom O'Neil-iest.

By the way, does any other person in the world today use "gal" as a word for "woman"?

From Gold Derby:

No one in Hollywood since Greta Garbo has had more mysterious allure than Sasha Stone, editor of Oscarwatch.com. She launched her excellent site just about the same time I launched GoldDerby.com, which was folded into TheEnvelope.com upon this site's debut in November, 2005. Over the past seven years Sasha and I pioneered Oscar coverage in cyberspace alone and together, usually perceived as rivals, but always secretly sympathetic to the other because we knew the ordeals we faced. Often we helped each other out with advice and encouragement on the sly, despite the assumption of onlookers that we must be mortal enemies.

Not so. In fact, let me shamelessly declare myself right here and now to be the self-appointed president of the Sasha Stone Fan Club. Not only is she a brilliant cyber-editor, but one of the savviest observers of the Oscar scene and, as every Oscar nut on line knows, a great, gracious gal beloved by all who know her.

But it's hard to know her, frankly. She's not a brazen, bugle-blasting self-promoter like me. As a result of her classy reserve — or shyness? — she's become famously elusive and mysterious. A magnificent cyber-legend. Everywhere I hear, "Have you ever met Sasha Stone? I haven't. Do you know what she's like?" Of course, being a fan, I sing her praises, but I've had to admit for many years, "Nope. Never met her. I only know Sasha via email and I keep trying to set up a dinner here, a cup of coffee there, but our plans always fall apart."

But then, a month or so ago, the night that "Dreamgirls" debuted at the theater in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences in Beverly Hills, someone tugged at my jacket, saying, "Hey, Tom! It's me! Sasha! Hi!"

I spun around, aghast! Couldn't believe it! There she was at last! In the flesh! A handsome, impressive, striking gal with a smile as warm and bright as her emails, articles, blog items and forum postings. All of the waiting was suddenly worth it because we got to meet under the most fantastic, appropriate circumstances — at Oscar headquarters just moments before this year's best pic frontrunner unspooled. We gabbed hurriedly and excitedly before it started, vowing to hook up again soon under less crazed circumstances, a difficult thing for her to do, though, considering she's a single mom.

Alas, we haven't pulled off that hookup yet, but we did manage a podcast chitchat today just hours after the New York film critics voted and one day after the L.A. media wags did the same.

Now you must listen to what the esteemed Sasha Stone has to say about all that, plus the Oscars ahead. This isn't just any ole podcast. Let's put this in perspective, please. It's the cyber-Oscarworld's equivalent of "Garbo Speaks!"

Granted, Sasha's spoken to other media in the past, but speaking here is different. It's darn-tooting historic, I say!

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”