Is this truth? - Some weird moments (so I heard)

Booster Gold
Graduate

Post by Booster Gold »

Big Magilla wrote:Booster, can you elaborate a little on the errors? I recall a few errors as well as typos, but what is soooooo many?
I can't speak to specifics without the book in front of me (I long ago got rid of it) but I recall that there were errors in some of the critics awards and just about every Golden Globes year pre-1970 (most notably the Foreign Film awards).
"God? He is the biggest bitch of them all."
- Christophe (South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut)
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote:Booster, can you elaborate a little on the errors? I recall a few errors as well as typos, but what is soooooo many?
Speaking of errors, I remember recently watching parts of both All The President's Men and Victor/Victoria on TV, on different stations. At the end, in both cases, someone claimed that the film received 11 Oscar nominations.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Booster, can you elaborate a little on the errors? I recall a few errors as well as typos, but what is soooooo many?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Booster Gold wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:At the risk of sounding like a traitor, I would also recommend Tom O'Neil's Movie Awards, which is based on contemporaeous Variety articles and is where I got the information on the Arliss/Shearer photo which is not mentioned in Mason and Damien's book.

Unfortunately there are soooooo many errors in Tom's book. But there are some nuggets in all the trash, so try to get it on sale or as a gift. :)
....or steal it!.....Just kidding!
Booster Gold
Graduate

Post by Booster Gold »

Big Magilla wrote:At the risk of sounding like a traitor, I would also recommend Tom O'Neil's Movie Awards, which is based on contemporaeous Variety articles and is where I got the information on the Arliss/Shearer photo which is not mentioned in Mason and Damien's book.

Unfortunately there are soooooo many errors in Tom's book. But there are some nuggets in all the trash, so try to get it on sale or as a gift. :)
"God? He is the biggest bitch of them all."
- Christophe (South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Funny you should say that. I've been catching up on Rome this week.

We've had this discussion before, of course. As written the book may be a cut and paste job, but it does provide vauluable information and should serve as a supplement to Inside Oscar, never a replacement for it.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:At the risk of sounding like a traitor, I would also recommend Tom O'Neil's Movie Awards
Et tu, Brute? :D
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

At the risk of sounding like a traitor, I would also recommend Tom O'Neil's Movie Awards, which is based on contemporaeous Variety articles and is where I got the information on the Arliss/Shearer photo which is not mentioned in Mason and Damien's book.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Harry, as Penelope implies, what you need to do is buy a copy of Damien & Mason's Inside Oscar. Anything worth knowing about the Oscars of the past is contained within its pages.

Your memory of 1939 is completely correct, Penelope.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I don't have Damien's Inside Oscar beside me--I had to be frugal on what books I brought with me--but I seem to recall it was the fact that a Los Angeles newspaper had divulged the results of of the 1939 race (Gone With the Wind) just hours before the ceremony that led to the hiring of an outside accounting firm (was it Price-Waterhouse back then?) to keep the results secret until the opening of the envelope.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Both are true. Shearer posed with best actor winner George Arliss who also knew he had won. Results of the 1929/30 awards were published the morning before the ceremony.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Is it true that in 1937 Alice Brady, nominee for In Old Arizona, couldn't attend the ceremony and when her award was announced somebody went on stage and accept on her behalf... only that she hadn't sent anyone on her behalf! I recently read that this happened back in the 1937 ceremony and by now the name of that person remains unknown (as well as the location of that stolen Oscar statuette).

Another one: I also read that in 1930 Norma Shearer posed for a photo session with her Oscar... two days before the ceremony! I guess it was a minor scandal (the award neither was that prestigious nor created mass euphoria) but if that's truth maybe the fact that she was married with Irving Thalberg had something to do. Also I believe the envolope and the top secret issue was introduced later on 1941. Does anybody know something about this?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”