Runner Ups at the Oscars - Truth or Fiction?

Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Still who knows she may just come back and win a supporting award 20 years from now.
I´m still waiting for her comeback.
For all of her nominated performances I think she deserved to win in 1977 for The Goodbye Girl and in 1973 for Cinderella Liberty.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:
Movielover wrote:If the list was made up or not, I'm happy it mentions Marsha Mason in Only When I Laugh.

I agree and I'm coming out of the closet to out myself as a Marsha Mason fan. Love her in Chapter Two as well.

I may as well start by saying that I'm a coward. Since you have outed yourself, I may as well too. I was also a fan of Marsha Mason and always hoped that an eventual 5th nod would finally net her the elusive Oscar like it did for Susan Hayward and Shirley MacLaine. Unfortunately that was not to be. Still who knows she may just come back and win a supporting award 20 years from now.

I would like to add, though, that Chapter Two is not one of my favorite Marsha Mason performances. She is too teary and whiny in this for my liking. And the film goes on too long. I thought she was great in The Goodbye Girl (despite another teary and whiny performance). However, she did not deserve to win for any of her 4 nominated performances. Am hoping for the ''comeback'' that should net her the award.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Movielover wrote:If the list was made up or not, I'm happy it mentions Marsha Mason in Only When I Laugh.
I agree and I'm coming out of the closet to out myself as a Marsha Mason fan. Love her in Chapter Two as well.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Movielover wrote:If the list was made up or not, I'm happy it mentions Marsha Mason in Only When I Laugh. I think that's a terrific performance. As much as I love Katharine Hepburn, the Oscar should have gone to Marsha.

Live and learn! I thought Marsha Mason fans were all dead and buried! She was the Norma Shearer of the 1970s and 1980s. Today both actresses' multiple Oscar nods get violent reactions. At the time both actresses were very popular mainly because of the important men in their lives. Shearer was married to Irving Thalberg and Mason to Neil Simon. No doubt that helped them getting nominated time and again.
77-1041588190

Post by 77-1041588190 »

If the list was made up or not, I'm happy it mentions Marsha Mason in Only When I Laugh. I think that's a terrific performance. As much as I love Katharine Hepburn, the Oscar should have gone to Marsha.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

While I don't think they're real, the majority of them (at least the recent ones) are picks that I would have thought to be the runners up as well.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1100931369
Mann
Graduate

Post by Mann »

Marisa Tomei over SAG winner Helen Mirren?

Helen Carter over Golden Globe winner Judi Dench?

Edited By Big Magilla on 1100931374
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

This is very clearly B.S. The Academy and PriceWaterhouse are so obsessive and paranoid about voting results that this kind of informaton would never be accessible on the accounting firm's computers. Sounds like a Gold Derby poster cying for attention.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1100931379
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Here is what somebody posted on the GoldDerby forum. Truth or a lie - judge for yourself??

''I know many will not believe me but I dont care. I have been a poster at this board for 2 and half years and have never started any thread like this before. Anyways I cant reveal too much info. so I dont get anyone in trouble, but my brother is a lawyer at this veyr important accounting firm which will remain unnamed. His friend who works in this department has access to some important documents on his company computer that list the winner and runnerups of every Best Actress and Best Supporting actress winner since 1979. The actor categories were not on the same file. The list lists the winner in each category and right below it has the runner up in parantheses. He emailed it to my brother and I am now holding it in my hands. While I know many wont believe me I'll post it here for those who arent so skeptical and are open minded. Believe me, I wouldnt waste my time typing this all out if it wasnt legit. You already know who won, but who came in 2nd? Well here it is.

2002- Runner up Actress- Julianne Moore
Runner up supporting Actress- Meryl Streep

2001- Runner up Actress- Sissy Spacek
Runner up Supporting Actress- Marisa Tomei

2000- Runner up Actress- Ellen Burstyn
Runner up Supporting Actress- Julie Walters

1999- Runner up Actress- Annette Bening
Runner up supporting actress- Chloe Sevigny

1998- Runner up Actress- Cate Blanchett
Runner up supprting actress- Kathy Bates

1997 Runner up Actress- Helena Bonham Carter
Runner up supporting Actress- Joan Cusack