Need Help Finding Old Films

criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I think when Haley Joel Osment was up for best supporting actor in 2000, TCM played Skippy in their month of Oscar programming. I didn't have access to it at the time, but I think they have it in their collection. Why not try requesting it on TCM.com for them to play on the air?

This worked for me when Ronald Reagan passed on and I requested Secret Service of the Air (and promptly slept through the time they played it) :(
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:The Way of All Flesh and The Patriot are lost films, as I'm sure some of the others must be as well.
I think the other lost films from the list below are The Patent Leather Kid, The Noose, A Ship Comes In and The Barker.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It's CriticsChoice. They had a very small window in the late 90s when they released films such as To Each His Owen, Mary, Queen of Scots, The Whisperers and 7th Heaven that no one else was releasing, much the same way that Anchor Bay does on DVD now. CriticsChoice exclusive DVDs are primarily obscure TV shows from the 60s and public domain films. Their VHS titles, including Street Angel, are long out of print.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

I've borrowed a commercially-released VHS of Street Angel from a library. I wish I could remember what company it was that put it out. Anyway, it's out there.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Unfortunately, this list mostly matches my own "can't find 'em" roster, with a few exceptions (I'm noting where I saw these few, so you know where to look for them to turn up again):

Street Angel (CUNY -- strictly a NY channel)
Madame X (TCM -- actually TNT, in the old days)
The Green Goddess (TCM/TNT, as above)
The Royal Family of Broadway (PBS)
Skippy (USA Network, believe it or not -- but this was middle-of-the-night, and back c. 1989)
Smart Money (TCM -- this was on as recently as last year during the 31 Days of Oscar)
The Scoundrel (PBS)
Kentucky (Family Channel)
One Hour With You (PBS)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

One Hour With You was released on VHS years ago and Madame X and The Last of Mrs. Cheyney were out on laser disc. Many of the others such as Bad Girl, Berkeley Square, Kentucky, Tall, Dark aand Handsome, The Pied Piper and The Affairs of Susan occasionally show up on TV, most notably TCM and the Fox Movie Channel.

Private Worlds, Valiant Is the Word for Carrie and A Medal for Benny used to show up fairly regularly, but I haven't seen them in years.

I thought I read something about The Rogue Song coming out in a Laurel & Hardy collection, but I've been unable to substantiate it.

The Way of All Flesh and The Patriot are lost films, as I'm sure some of the others must be as well.
77-1041588190

Post by 77-1041588190 »

Here's a list of films nominated from very Early Oscars I am trying to track down. I know some people go to archives and/or private collectors, but I don't even know how to go about doing that. So any and all help is appreciated.

Glorious Betsy
The Noose
The Patent Leather Kid
The Private Life of Helen of Troy
A Ship Comes In
Sorrell and Son
Street Angel
Underworld
Condemned
The Way of All Flesh
The Barker
The Cop