Unseen 2018 Oscar Nominated Films

dws1982
Emeritus

Re: Unseen 2018 Oscar Nominated Films

Post by dws1982 »

Mister Tee wrote:Don't know if this helps anyone else, but my Spectrum pay-per-view has just added make-up nominee Border.
Thanks for the tip-off. I don't have cable, but I just checked Amazon, and it's available for rent there too.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Don't know if this helps anyone else, but my Spectrum pay-per-view has just added make-up nominee Border.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Does anyone know where I can find Weekends? It's the only Animated Short nominee that I haven't seen and I could no longer find it online.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

If you're needing to fit in another documentary: Of Fathers and Sons is now available for rent on various streaming services.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

dws1982 wrote:If you don't do Hulu, this week you can catch Minding the Gap on PBS. It's airing as part of their POV series. It airs on Wednesday in my area, but that'll vary based on your PBS affiliate. It's by far the best of the three nominated documentaries that I've seen, and right up there with First Man as best film of 2018.
Just in the nick of time, dws -- it runs tonight in NYC.

Many thanks. I'd resigned myself to just being out of touch with the doc category this year, seeing only RBG and Hale County. (I opted against seeing Free Solo in my theatre, because everything I saw suggested my acrophobia would make it an agonizing sit for me.) Weird, that I've been able to see the entire doc short category, but done so poorly here. (Especially since I thought, last September, that I'd knocked off most of the slate with RBG/Strangers/Neighbor.)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

If you don't do Hulu, this week you can catch Minding the Gap on PBS. It's airing as part of their POV series. It airs on Wednesday in my area, but that'll vary based on your PBS affiliate. It's by far the best of the three nominated documentaries that I've seen, and right up there with First Man as best film of 2018.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Documentary Short Subject nominee Period. End of Sentence is now available to view on Netflix.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

For anyone who might not have access to PBS next week, Hale County This Morning, This Evening is now available to rent/purchase on iTunes.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

dws1982 wrote:Next Monday, February 11, Hale County This Morning, This Evening airs on PBS as part of their Independent Lens series. Times will probably vary based on the PBS affiliate airing it.

If you're searching the listings on your TV, make sure you search for Independent Lens.
Thanks. It's on 10PM in NY; got it set to DVR.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Next Monday, February 11, Hale County This Morning, This Evening airs on PBS as part of their Independent Lens series. Times will probably vary based on the PBS affiliate airing it.

If you're searching the listings on your TV, make sure you search for Independent Lens.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I've knocked a few films off my list, so here's a new list

Mirai
Cold War
At Eternity's Gate
The Wife
First Reformed
RBG
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Never Look Away
Border
First Man
Christopher Robin

I have screeners in my stack for At Eternity's Gate, First Reformed, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, and First Man. So I'll be a lot closer to done sometime in the next few weeks (if I find the time to watch them).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

It looks like National Geographic has put Free Solo in some more theaters this weekend. It was playing at an "IMAX" (aka LieMax...basically just a much bigger-than-average screen but not true IMAX projection) theater in Huntsville this weekend. Definitely can't imagine it playing as well on video, because those climbing shots--which are truly impressive, and which I wish there were more of--are just won't impress the same way at home, even on a 60+ inch screen.

Worth checking your listings if you missed it in its initial release.

This means that if I get on it (still need to get a library card for Canopy), I should be able to catch all of the documentaries before the Oscars--definitely a first for me.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:Avengers: Infinity (what an endurance test that was)
Yes it was an endurance test. And people going into raptures about the film and the character played by Josh Brolin. Was thrilled at the outcome thinking a number of franchises would end. Wishful thinking :lol:
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Surprisingly the least number ever for me. I don't bother with the documentaries or the short films:

Green Book (will see this next week)
At Eternity's Gate (will see this in February)
Never Look Away (middle of the year)
Mary, Queen of Scots (will see this next week)
If Beale Street Could Talk (will see this in February)
RBG (will download via Fetch)
Christopher Robin (will download via Fetch)

And I've seen two others since the nominations were announced:

Ralph Breaks the Internet
Avengers: Infinity (what an endurance test that was)
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Of Fathers and Sons is available to stream for free on Kanopy (for which you just need a library card from a participating public or university library to access).

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”