Ceremony Help Again

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Ceremony Help Again

Post by Big Magilla »

A bit of trivia mentioned in Inside Oscar is that due to some dispute, there was no national radio broadcast, just a local one. It could be that those awards were presented outside of the broadcast which may have been limited to the time mandated by the station. If so, it's likely there was no ceremony. They were just handed out after the broadcast ended.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Also, does anyone know of a good resource for when, where, and who hosted the separate sci-tech awards? I'm trying to be as thorough as possible on my awards coverage, but I wasn't able to find the info on Wikipedia.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That makes me wonder where the special awards for Harry M. Warner, Spawn of the North, Oliver Marsh & Allen Davey, and J. Arthur Ball were presented.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The presentation of the 1938 special awards were split. Deanna Durbin and Mickey Rooney came before Director, Walt Disney after Picture. I can't find anything on Editing and Sci-Tech presentations

1938 Order

The Star Spangled Banner - Miliza Korjus
Music Awards - Jerome Kern
Cinematography, Sound Recording, Art Direction - Frank Capra
Short Subjects - Bob Hope
Writing Awards - Lloyd C. Douglas
Special Awards to Deanna Durbin and Mckey Rooney - Edgar Begren
Director- Fred Niblo
Picture - James Roosevelt
Special Award to Walt Disney for Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs - Shirley Temple
Thalberg Award - Joseph Schenck
Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress - Tyrone Power
Actor, Actress - Cedric Hardwicke
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Picture for 1945 is correct. I'll check on 1938 later.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Do I have Best Picture in the wrong spot? Several years had Picture presented earlier in the evening than at the end. Is this right? And what does Inside Oscar show?

And every time I go into my spreadsheet, I catch something that I skipped (even after highlighting them)

At the 11th Oscars for 1938. I have one sources that shows the special awards being given out, then Sci-Tech, then Film Editing, then Cinematography. However, I have another source that has the special awards being given out between Best Picture and the Thalberg award, followed by the acting awards.
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Inside Oscar doesn't provide the answer, but the nominated songs were sung between the 1945 writing and directing awards which would suggest that the award was given at the end of that presentation.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Whoopi did it (after a bit with Woody and Buzz)

https://youtu.be/KuLabmyUxQQ
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Another thing:

for the 68th Oscars for 1995, I have the introduction of the original song nominee "You've Got a Friend in Me" between the presentation of the honorary award to John Lasseter and Animated Short Film, but somehow I don't have who introduced the performance. Nor does Wikipedia.
Wesley Lovell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Ceremony Help Again

Post by OscarGuy »

Ok. So, the Margaret Herrick library cut me off for help. I've managed to piece together a lot of stuff, but I have one last sticking point.

The 18th Oscars for 1945, I have the ceremony order thus:

Show Introduction
Animated Short Film
Live Action Short Film (One-Reel)
Live Action Short Film (Two-Reel)
Documentary Feature
Documentary Short Subject
Scientific & Technical Awards
Film Editing
Sound Mixing
Special Effects
Special Award: Walter Wanger
Production Design
Cinematography
Original Song
Picture
Writing: Original Motion Picture Story
Writing: Original Screenplay
Writing: Screenplay
Directing
Special Award: "The House I Live In"
Special Award: Peggy Ann Garner
Supporting Actor
Supporting Actress
Actor
Actress

When seeking help on this list, the person helping me said something confusing. She said that original song was presented between cinematography and writing, but I have Best Picture in that spot. What am I missing about the above order and what she's saying? I stuck song in before Picture, after Cinematography.
Wesley Lovell

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”