The 18th Annual Who'll Be Back?

dws1982
Emeritus

Re: The 18th Annual Who'll Be Back?

Post by dws1982 »

Definitely dumb to bet against Streep in a Spielberg-directed historical film.

But I wonder if the Florence Foster Jenkins nomination, especially with the perception that she screwed several more deserving actresses out of a nomination*, could follow her and hurt her? Sometimes when the internet and bloggers and "critics groups" decide that something needs to happen at the Oscars, they're able to keep making a point of it long enough that it actually does happen. See Anne Hathaway, for example. I just wonder if the next time the "Streep by default" thing seems possible, if the bloggers will latch onto and see if they can push her out.

After Music of the Heart got her a nomination--the queen of all default nominations--she racked up several nominations in the next several years, but none of them were by default. All of them were widely considered among the year's best. Several could've won (or at least been in the conversation) under different circumstances. Since she won number three, it's been three nominations that wouldn't have happened if it hadn't been Meryl Streep. Very few people question her reputation as one of the greatest actresses of all time, but I feel like getting nominations just because of who she is tarnishes her legacy more than it enhances it. (Similar to the way that Woody Allen and Willie Nelson tarnish their legacies by putting out a new movie or album every year.) No doubt she'll be back. But I wonder if they'll be as eager to nominate her for just anything in the coming years.

* - Yes, I know that based on most of our predictions, we had predicted Streep and had Adams (or Bening or Henson) in the spot that ultimately went to Ruth Negga, but Negga's nomination didn't bother people the way Streep's did.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Since this post was written, it was announced that Meryl Streep would be teaming with Tom Hanks in a Spielberg-directed film about the Pentagon Papers, and Deadline announced today that the plan is to shoot the movie this spring and have it ready for the end of this year.

I'm never one to assume a movie is Oscar-bound before a frame is even shot -- plenty of sure things on paper turned out to be not-so-sure things in real life -- but, assuming the part is good, I think you'd be hard-pressed to come up with another combination of elements that seemed more likely to put Meryl right back in the conversation for her 21st nomination next year.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

bizarre wrote:Let's remember that Gosling leads Chazelle's upcoming Neil Armstrong biopic, which could be a major beneficiary of La La Land sympathy in 2018's race, or even this coming one if they hustle on post.

Of the snubbees and those in the background of the awards conversation, most likely to net a first-time nomination in the coming years are, to my mind:

Emily Blunt
Kristen Stewart
Adam Driver
Janelle Monáe
Greta Gerwig
Miles Teller
Margot Robbie
Elle Fanning

Possibly, if they continue getting good roles:
Rebecca Hall
Joel Edgerton
Ryan Reynolds
Kate Beckinsale
Glen Powell
Hugh Grant
Timothy Spall
Armie Hammer
Peter Sarsgaard
Aaron Eckhart
Shailene Woodley
Alden Ehrenreich
Ben Foster
I would add Joseph Gordon-Levitt to this list. He's been consistently good in interesting roles, even if his movies haven't caught fire recently.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Bog wrote:Ooooh baby...what a paradoxical offering...complain about a veer then this...bait much?

Now I'm not sure if you meant in the moment or hindsight...but before we really get into this...I'll offer up...do we really think Julia was THAT much better than Paltrow? Especially considering Burstyn was right there? And Crowe is <<< Benigni
Oh, don't even try to talk to that guy - he's confused by his own hatred and bitterness :)
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Bog wrote:Ooooh baby...what a paradoxical offering...complain about a veer then this...bait much?

Now I'm not sure if you meant in the moment or hindsight...but before we really get into this...I'll offer up...do we really think Julia was THAT much better than Paltrow? Especially considering Burstyn was right there? And Crowe is <<< Benigni
1)Who said I'm complaining?

2)It's a combination of moment and hindsight. There are actors who had illustrious careers but won their Oscars for sub-par performances (Jack Lemmon for "Save the Tiger") and there are actors with short, unimpressive careers but whose wins are widely accepted as fair and square (F. Murray Abraham).
IMHO, Paltrow and Benigni combine the worst of both worlds.

3)I think Roberts was very good. We can debate whether Burstyn was better but it's not like Paltrow prevailing over Blanchett as Elizabeth and Montenegro. I agree that Crowe wasn't as good as Hanks that year but you can say that he falls in the first category I mentioned.

Just my two bits.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

taki15 wrote:Ok, we are veering off topic here but I just have to ask this: has there been a lamest pair of acting winners than the one from '98 (Benigni and Paltrow)?
I guess Big Magilla will offer the Baxter-Pickford duo.
I wouldn't call Warner Baxter's performance in In Old Arizona lame. It was highly theatrical, as many of the early talkie performances were, with his lines shouted to an invisible third balcony, but it was Olivier reciting Shakespeare compared to Pickford, who was incredibly bad.

I've never thought of acting winners' performances in pairs, but if I had to pick one, I'd say Philip Seymour Hoffman and Reese Witherspoon over Heath Ledger and Felicity Huffman in 2005 was the lamest. Hoffman's interpretation of Truman Capote was bad. Witherspoon's June Cash was OK, but thin.

As for Benigni and Paltrow, Benigni is a matter of taste (as we've discussed ad nauseam) and Paltrow is actually quite good in Shakespeare in Love. It's not a great performance, but it isn't a bad one by any stretch of the imagination. While there have been lots of weak nominations for actresses, both in lead and support, the only really weak winner in the modern era in my estimation was Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook, especially as she was paired with Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln, which made for quite a contrast.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Ooooh baby...what a paradoxical offering...complain about a veer then this...bait much?

taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Ok, we are veering off topic here but I just have to ask this: has there been a lamest pair of acting winners than the one from '98 (Benigni and Paltrow)?
I guess Big Magilla will offer the Baxter-Pickford duo.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Harvey Weinstein tried to hurl Paltrow on the American public (and the world in general), branding her as an America's sweetheart type, ignoring--or not understanding--the fact that she wasn't exactly Julia Roberts in terms of charisma or likability. She spent the next few years post-Shakespeare headlining some of Weinstein's lamest releases (Bounce, View From the Top), in ill-fated attempts to prove herself as a serious actress (Sylvia, Possession, Proof) or in vanity projects for friends and family members, and she woke up one day to find that any good will she had built had vanished.

I think it's telling that her most successful performances have either come from a director who doesn't assume she's a likable sweetheart (The Royal Tenenbaums, Two Lovers), or from one who seems to assume, almost perversely, that she's someone we almost want to see fail (Infamous).
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

taki15 wrote:
Okri wrote:I don’t quite understand how Paltrow’s career frittered away after 1998, though.
Because she was a talentless ingenue who just got lucky? (not to mention that according to everyone who worked with her she is insufferable)
I wouldn't call her career "frittered away". She never got another Oscar nomination and is not exactly a big box-office draw now, true but, she was in The Royal Tenenbaums and The Talented Mr. Ripley (supporting roles but both well-regarded films). She got good reviews for Proof and Two Lovers. She's part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the Iron Man movies, plus she won an Emmy for a guest spot in Glee.

A lot of people seem to hate her though because she also has a career as a cookbook author and lifestyle guru and has a website called GOOP. She comes off as out-of-touch at best and an elitist snob at worst in her videos and in her articles. ("Oh, it's soooo easy and simple to make this so-and-so. All you need is fancy and expensive ingredient and this fancy and expensive ingredient. It's soooo easy!")
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Okri wrote:I don’t quite understand how Paltrow’s career frittered away after 1998, though.
Because she was a talentless ingenue who just got lucky? (not to mention that according to everyone who worked with her she is insufferable)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:
Reza wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:My take on it:

Huppert - I'm leaning towards no but will probably get an Honorary down the line.
Is the Academy magnanimous enough to recognise foreign actors for the honorary. They have given it to foreigners - in the technical field -:but never to an actor. There are so many out there who deserve it.
Only two that come to mind are Jackie Chan & Sophia Loren. But than Loren had a huge Hollywood career and Jackie Chan's ain't too bad either. I'd never realised this fact until you pointed it out Reza.

To think Marcello Mastroianni never received one despite 3 nominations.

Living (non American/English) actors who deserve serious consideration are Max von Sydow, Catherine Deneuve, Gerard Depardieu & Jean Moreau. The Academy really needs to lift there game on this but I can't help that the OscarSoWhite beat-up from 2016 had something to do with Jackie Chan's selection, though I did feel it was pretty well-deserved but a little premature (they could have waited until he was 70 or so).
In addition to the actors you mention also deserving are Liv Ullmann, Claudia Cardinale, Alain Delon, Gina Lollobrigida, Leslie Caron and Danielle Darrieux.
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

Let's remember that Gosling leads Chazelle's upcoming Neil Armstrong biopic, which could be a major beneficiary of La La Land sympathy in 2018's race, or even this coming one if they hustle on post.

Of the snubbees and those in the background of the awards conversation, most likely to net a first-time nomination in the coming years are, to my mind:

Emily Blunt
Kristen Stewart
Adam Driver
Janelle Monáe
Greta Gerwig
Miles Teller
Margot Robbie
Elle Fanning

Possibly, if they continue getting good roles:
Rebecca Hall
Joel Edgerton
Ryan Reynolds
Kate Beckinsale
Glen Powell
Hugh Grant
Timothy Spall
Armie Hammer
Peter Sarsgaard
Aaron Eckhart
Shailene Woodley
Alden Ehrenreich
Ben Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Affleck - He could be nominated again for the right role, but another win? Highly unlikely.
Garfield - Difficult to know if he really got lucky in 2016 or if he will continue to play strong characters.
Gosling - Another nomination, maybe, but a win may be out of reach for this usually laid back actor.
Mortensen - I doubt it.
Washington - Yes, and he may win that elusive third but I think Davis will beat him to it.

Huppert - No.
Negga - With the right role, yes, but more likely in support.
Portman - Possibly, but another win is unlikely.
Stone - Another nomination or two, yes, but not another win unless she survives as long as Streep.
Streep - Twenty may just be enough, but then again, they may not stop until they give her 25 or 30.

Ali - He had the right role at the right time, but another nomination is possible.
Bridges - Yes, if he keeps getting good roles, which are tough at his age.
Hedges - If his next few performances are good, yes, otherwise he could fade away quickly.
Patel - Yes, but in the lead category.
Shannon - The third time should be the charm for him, but more likely in lead.

Davis - Yes, and she will win two more easily.
Harris - Possibly.
Kidman - Maybe.
Spencer - I see a third nod somewhere down the line, but not another win.
Williams - Yes, and she will win eventually.

Who'll be back first? Hedges, next year or forget about it.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:My take on it:

Huppert - I'm leaning towards no but will probably get an Honorary down the line.
Is the Academy magnanimous enough to recognise foreign actors for the honorary. They have given it to foreigners - in the technical field -:but never to an actor. There are so many out there who deserve it.
Only two that come to mind are Jackie Chan & Sophia Loren. But than Loren had a huge Hollywood career and Jackie Chan's ain't too bad either. I'd never realised this fact until you pointed it out Reza.

To think Marcello Mastroianni never received one despite 3 nominations.

Living (non American/English) actors who deserve serious consideration are Max von Sydow, Catherine Deneuve, Gerard Depardieu & Jean Moreau. The Academy really needs to lift there game on this but I can't help that the OscarSoWhite beat-up from 2016 had something to do with Jackie Chan's selection, though I did feel it was pretty well-deserved but a little premature (they could have waited until he was 70 or so).
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”