Changes to Nominations Announcement

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Changes to Nominations Announcement

Post by OscarGuy »

I saw someone on Facebook mention this, so I wonder if the real reason might be something a lot more cynical.

This also prevents Academy and its directors from having to immediately speak to the press afterwards regarding the nominations. Thus, there won't be any embarrassing at-the-moment call-outs like #OscarsSoWhite that they have to answer for. Discussions of how the new membership might or might not have affected voting (which this year is a very POOR example of how any improvements or problems such a move would have caused).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Re: Changes to Nominations Announcement

Post by The Original BJ »

I always kind of liked the spontaneous moments of reaction captured by the live nomination announcements. The cheer throughout the room for Beauty and the Beast's historic Best Picture nomination. Salma Hayek's reaction to Penelope Cruz's Best Actress nomination (and then her hilarious annoyance at having to say Water in lieu of Volver). The crowd gasping at The LEGO Movie's non-nomination. This new idea seems like it could sterilize something that was always a bit exciting as a live event.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Changes to Nominations Announcement

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm not sure I like the sound of this.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/o ... ent-964301

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”