New Academy Member Invitee List

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: New Academy Member Invitee List

Post by Big Magilla »

I found an L.A. Times article on the subject of young members from February, 2012. Anna Paquin joined at 11, Saoirse Ronan at 16.

Also noted in the article:

Many of those who gained admission into the academy while they were minors, such as Paquin, became eligible for membership thanks to a nomination, which not that long ago almost guaranteed admission even if the nominee didn’t have a substantial body of work. Others were proposed for membership by academy members, which was the case with Marlee Matlin.

Here's the full article:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/ ... mbers.html
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Yes. 2006. My fault. She was born in 1994 and I combined the two dates in my head and typed it incorrectly. I'll also submit Anna Paquin as a recent example.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Dakota Fanning was invited to join the Academy in 1996. She was 12 years old at the time. That's the first example that popped into my head. I'd bet Tatum O'Neal was invited after she won the Oscar. What about Patty Duke?
Dakota Fanning was born in 1994. Are sure you don't mean 2006?

Patty Duke was a more mature fifteen when she won her Oscar.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Dakota Fanning was invited to join the Academy in 1996. She was 12 years old at the time. That's the first example that popped into my head. I'd bet Tatum O'Neal was invited after she won the Oscar. What about Patty Duke?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

She's still only 12 years old. While there apparently isn't a strict age requirement I suspect it's an unwritten rule that no one under 18 will be admitted. How old was Jodie Foster when she was admitted?
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

OscarGuy wrote:However, not every nominee is invited. Quvenzhane Wallis wasn't invited the year after her nomination. Matter of fact, unless she was invited in the last couple of years and I didn't post those invitations, she still isn't a member.
I can think of a pretty good reason why this would be the case.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

WTF is Dakota Johnson doing on the list? Does making only crap now meet some new criteria!
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It used to be pretty much a rubber stamp process. I don't know when it changed to the current process of recommendation, followed by branch concurrence, followed by board vote, followed by official invitation but this is the present rule, which seems to throw into question those saying they were invited, but declined the invitation.

NEW MEMBERS PROPOSAL PROCESS

A candidate for membership must be sponsored by two members of the branch for which the individual qualifies. One sponsor should request the materials from the Academy’s Membership Department (membership@oscars.org or 310-247-3001). Please review your branch’s requirements before submitting a candidate for consideration.

After you have filled out the proposal card with the two sponsor signatures and contact information for the candidate, send the completed card, including sponsor recommendation letters (if required by the branch)back to the Membership Department. After all information has been received and verified, an email will be sent to the candidate requesting additional information on film credits and work experience.

Membership reviews take place once a year, in the spring. The current cycle deadline is Thursday, March 24, 2016.

Each candidate who receives a favorable endorsement from the appropriate Branch Executive Committee will be submitted to the Board of Governors for final approval and invitation to membership.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

They changed the rules regarding how members are selected, so I don't think it required two to support, but I'm not sure.

And the whole "should have been invited before thing" applies to anyone who might have been invited several years ago before they started shaming invitees by announcing them publicly.

However, not every nominee is invited. Quvenzhane Wallis wasn't invited the year after her nomination. Matter of fact, unless she was invited in the last couple of years and I didn't post those invitations, she still isn't a member.

I'm also surprised that John Boyega's on this list but Daisy Ridley is not.
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Thanks guys for pointing out the oldest and youngest.

The one that surprised me was Betty Buckley who I thought would have been one of those who got in long ago without waiting for an invitation by being sponsored by two members, perhaps Sissy Spacek and Dick Van Patten.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

John Boyega is the 24-year-old -- definitely someone who would fit Mister Tee's criteria of "there's no way he'd be on this list but for the diversity push" (along with not one, not two, but three Wayans brothers.)

On the other hand, raise your hand if you'd like a glimpse at what Catherine Breillat, Jia Zhangke, Abbas Kiarostami, Hou Hsiao-hsien, and Apichatpong Weerasethakul's Oscar ballots are going to look like?

Tina Fey seems like someone who would have had to already be a member, but her cinematic resume actually isn't that long, and even less so in the branch for which she was cited (writers). Clearly her TV work played a major role in this invitation, and yet she feels like a much larger figure than most TV folk, even the standout ones.

I'm also shocked Peter Pau didn't get an invitation after winning the Cinematography Oscar for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Don't the award winners typically get invited immediately?
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I believe the oldest invitee is the Mexican actor Ignacio López Tarso, who had his 91st birthday on January 15th.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

According to the press release, the oldest invitee is 91 and the youngest is 24, any idea who they are? I couldn't figure it out.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I always remind people that before the Academy started publishing their lists, they would routinely get turned down. The Academy started publishing the details to encourage candidates not to reject the offer of membership. Basically, it was trying to shame certain people for not accepting before.
Wesley Lovell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

New Academy Member Invitee List

Post by Mister Tee »

A VERY long list, at the link (It might take a minute to load).

Since this comes in the immediate afterwash of #Oscarssowhite, it's unsurprisingly heavy on both non-white and female representation.

The sheer numbers (should significant numbers accept) can't help but have impact -- the total is supposedly 683, which is about a 10% increase. The directors' branch alone is adding 90; given that their numbers have usually been reported as c. 300, that could mean a sea-change. As could the names involved: Kechiche? Mungiu? It's one of the most risk-taking branches as it is; this could push it into art heaven.

If you look over the names on, especially, the acting/directing lists, you can't help but note that 1) some people seem like they should have been asked long ago and 2) there are people on the roster who would never have been solicited did they not fill a racial or gender quota. But, as Mark Harris points out, there are current Academy members no more deserving, so even in those cases it just offsets a long-ago bad choice. (I actually found out recently that someone I know is an Academy member, someone with a minimum of credits accumulated quite a long time ago.)

Anyway, for your perusal:

http://www.app.oscars.org/class2016/

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”