The 17th Annual Who'll Be Back?

criddic3
Tenured

Re: The 17th Annual Who'll Be Back?

Post by criddic3 »

Reza wrote:Then there's Meg Ryan. I doubt she will make more films.
Ryan directed a film, in which she also appeared, called Ithaca. It premiered at the Middleburg Film Festival in October of 2015, but hasn't gotten a wide release yet. She also had a supporting role in an independent comedy last year, titled Fan Girl, which eventually aired on television. So Meg Ryan is still acting. Whether she'll ever have a major success again is certainly debatable.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Carney, with old-age makeup, played a character two decades older than himself.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

flipp525 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Art Carney was 54 when he filmed Harry & Tonto, 55 at the time of the film's release and 56 when he won his Oscar.
Those ages in the 1970s read (and look) much, much older now.
To underline this: Tom Cruise right now is about 2-3 years younger than Carney was when he did Harry and Tonto.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:Art Carney was 54 when he filmed Harry & Tonto, 55 at the time of the film's release and 56 when he won his Oscar.
Those ages in the 1970s read (and look) much, much older now.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Art Carney was 54 when he filmed Harry & Tonto, 55 at the time of the film's release and 56 when he won his Oscar.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

This year also had Blythe Danner in I'll See You in My Dreams (although that didn't pick up Oscar traction). And Art Carney did this exact thing forty years ago.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:Langella, yes, but Farnsworth doesn't count. Interestingly, though, both Fransworth and Dern received their only supporting nods in the same year (1978) for supporting Jane Fonda in two different films before earning their solo Best Actor nods but Fonda, now 78 herself, who won her second Best Actress award that year couldn't muster a Supporting Actress nod this year despite a SAG nomination and tons of publicity.
Fonda might've been able to slip into the Best Supporting Actress race if Vikander and Mara had been placed properly.
Last edited by flipp525 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Langella, yes, but Farnsworth doesn't count. Interestingly, though, both Fransworth and Dern received their only supporting nods in the same year (1978) for supporting Jane Fonda in two different films before earning their solo Best Actor nods but Fonda, now 78 herself, who won her second Best Actress award that year couldn't muster a Supporting Actress nod this year despite a SAG nomination and tons of publicity.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Frank Langella did it in the last decade.

You could also probably put Richard Farnsworth in the category. I know he had a previous nomination, but it is an obscure enough nod that my guess is 99% of Oscar voters were unaware of the fact.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

When was the last time an actor past normal retirement age without an Oscar nomination in his/her past had an Oscar caliber lead role in an American film? You'd have to go back all the way to Jessica Tandy in Driving Miss Daisy and before that to May Robson in Lady for a Day. It just doesn't happen.

Any such nomination would have to come from a British or foreign language film. 62-year-old Isabelle Huppert, maybe?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

It would be great to see someone like Harry Dean Stanton get his Nebraska. Actually, if he could make something that had the impact that Paris, Texas had back in it's day he would be a virtual shoe-in for a nomination.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Reza wrote: And why haven't they given Jerry Lewis the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian award?
They already have.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:Here's a bonus-bonus though. Who is next year's Charlotte Rampling or Emmanuelle Riva? An older, never-nominated veteran. dws's idea of Jeff Daniels seems like a great choice to me, but I'm curious to hear what others might think.
Not sure if any of these will make it next year but in the same league as Jeff Daniels are Steve Buscemi, Alfred Molina, Danny Glover, John Goodman and John Turturro.

Alan Rickman would surely have been nominated if he hadn't died. Then there's Meg Ryan. I doubt she will make more films. A bad face lift has put her now in the category of Liza, Kim, Goldie and Kate Capshaw.

In the "older" category of Riva or Rampling four names come to mind. Would be great if Jeanne Moreau, Martin Sheen, Donald Sutherland or Jacqueline Bisset get nominated sometime in the near future.

And why haven't they given Jerry Lewis the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian award?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I have a feeling that Sarah Paulson may be on the verge of a nomination in the next couple of years. She's been doing some great television work recently (I think she might get an Emmy for her portrayal of Marcia Clark) and gets occasional meaty supporting work in Oscar-nominated films (in Carol, this past year, 12 Years a Slave a couple years befofe). She's very much a lesbian Eve Harrington type in Hollywood so she's all about the career ascension. I think she's also made nice nice with a lot of the Hollywood establishment in the past several years as well as cozied up to some veteran actors who might suggest her for projects.

Here's a bonus-bonus though. Who is next year's Charlotte Rampling or Emmanuelle Riva? An older, never-nominated veteran. dws's idea of Jeff Daniels seems like a great choice to me, but I'm curious to hear what others might think.

danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Bog wrote:
danfrank wrote:
On the bubble: Redmayne, Lawrence,
Not sure if I understand what "bubble" you could possibly mean, these 2 do not add up to 60 years of age, multiple noms each, a statue each, a recent nomination each, of which was based almost purely on sight unseen momentum 12 months back. Unfortunately I think if we like it or not they are here to stay as far as nominations go...and arguably at least as "likely to be back" as any one of those 8 listed. It feels this year you saw his and her equivalent of Penn and Blanchett's I Am Sam and Golden Age respectively, and thusly counted their chances as ranking narrowly above Stallone going forward.
It's just a hunch. There are examples of actors getting a slew of nominations within a short time frame while young who then suddenly stop getting them. Michelle Pfeiffer comes to mind. Jennifer Lawrence seems like an obvious pick to secure future nominations, but I sometimes like to bet against the odds. Redmayne, as many have pointed out on this board, is not all that talented and just happens to have starred in two Oscar bait roles in successive years. He may very well get nominated again, but unless he grows significantly as an actor, I hope he doesn't.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”