Fist Numbered Oscar (501) ?

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Fist Numbered Oscar (501) ?

Post by Big Magilla »

By 1949 there had already been approximately 500 Oscars handed out. The 1949 awards were given in 1950 so starting with 501 kind of makes sense.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I found one reference, on Mashable, to the Oscar statuettes each bearing a different number. The picture of the statuette I saw had the number etched into the back side of the gold base. It didn't have details on when the numbering began or when they started. I found another place that said it started in 1949 with the number 501. Without seeing something official somewhere, I can't verify the truthfulness of that statement. This might be something to e-mail the Academy about.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Interesting life your uncle must have had judging by the information on IMDb.
parsec
Graduate

Post by parsec »

Douglas Morrow
The Stratton Story
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

If that's the case, your great uncle's Oscar could be the first one issued with a number. If you wouldn't mind sharing without giving away too much, what was the year?
parsec
Graduate

Post by parsec »

Thanks for the reply. I will have to get in touch with Tim to verify.

I have access to my great uncle's Oscar. I noticed a small stamped 501 on top of the base just behind the heels. I assume this is the number? Could be a cool piece of info for trivia night if it is the actual 501 Oscar.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

That's an interesting question. It's something Tim Nyhus, who operates the Little Golden Guy site, could probably answer better than anyone here. You can find him on Facebook and other social network sites.
parsec
Graduate

Fist Numbered Oscar (501) ?

Post by parsec »

I was reading on hollywoodgoldenguy.com that the first numbered Oscar was 501. Is this true and do we know specifically which award has this number?

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”