Motion Picture Sound Editors Award Winners

For the films of 2020
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: Motion Picture Sound Editors Award Winners

Post by dws1982 »

I doubt it has much shot, because almost everyone voting will have seen it on TV, and the sound work won't seem as impressive on TV to most people, especially compared to something like Sound of Metal, which uses sound in a much more noticeable (and unexpected) way. I do think it would probably still have a shot at a Sound Editing award if the categories were split, because we are trained to think of that as explosions and gunshots, and it has a lot of those and it's all pretty well-used.

The movie itself is not bad. It's the type of movie you could watch with your dad as a compromise choice and both end up okay with it. One consolation for anyone who needs to fit it in before the Oscars (and if you've got an Apple product within the past year, you probably have an Apple TV+ subscription without knowing it) is that's a quick 90 minutes. I suspect its only real footprint in history will be that it was one of the first movies (maybe the first from a major studio) sold by its distributor to a streamer after the pandemic started.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

dws1982 wrote
It does. Without the merged categories, it might've won Sound Editing outright, or at least would've had a very good shot.
To be clear, I'm not opposed to watching it. I just didn't know I had to. Do you think it has a shot at the Oscar, considering that the last time a movie won Best Sound as a sole nominee was (checks)... The Last of the Mohicans?
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Sabin wrote:Interesting that they ignored Sound of Metal. Audio Cinema Society later tonight where it will almost assuredly win, unless, y'know, Greyhound has, like, good sound. I wouldn't know.
It does. Without the merged categories, it might've won Sound Editing outright, or at least would've had a very good shot.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Motion Picture Sound Editors Award Winners

Post by Sabin »

Interesting that they ignored Sound of Metal. Audio Cinema Society later tonight where it will almost assuredly win, unless, y'know, Greyhound has, like, good sound. I wouldn't know.

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing – Feature Effects / Foley
Greyhound
(Other Nominees: Cherry, The Midnight Sky, News of the World, Sound of Metal, Tenet)

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing – Feature Dialogue / ADR
The Trial fo the Chicago 7
(Other Nominees: Emperor, Greyhound, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, Mank, News of the World, Nomadland, Sound of Metal)

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing – Feature Animation
Soul
(Other Nominees: The Crood: Onward, Over the Moon, Wolfwalkers)

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing – Feature Documentary
The Reason I Jump
(Other Nominees: Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart, Crip Camp, John Lewis: Good Trouble, My Octopus Teacher, Rebuilding Paradise, The Social Dilemma, Zappa)

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing – Foreign Language Feature
The Eight Hundred
(Other Nominees: Bacurau, I'm No Longer Here, Jalikattu, The Life Ahead)

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing – Feature Underscore
Tenet
(Other Nominees: The Invisible Man, The Midnight Sky, News of the World, Sound of Metal, The Trial of the Chicago 7, Wonder Woman 1984)

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing – Feature Musical
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of the Fire Saga
(Other Nominees: The High Note, I Am Woman, The Forty Year Old Version, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, The Prom)
"How's the despair?"

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”