BAFTA Winners

For the films of 2020
andrew
Graduate

Re: BAFTA Winners

Post by andrew »

Despite (or maybe because of) the odd nominations the BAFTAs managed to predict almost every category at the Oscars - this is probably the closest they have ever matched.

As far as I can see the only difference was cinematography.
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Mister Tee wrote:The disappointment of the day, for me, is Youn winning -- not because she doesn't deserve it, but because she probably drains the suspense out of the supporting actress Oscar race.
I was pleased. I’m a massive Amanda Seyfried fan and if she’s not winning (a reasonable assumption), I don’t want to see the award go to the other young actress in the race. (Petty, I admit.)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Thanks to YouTube streaming, I could skip my traditional avoid-the-Internet/watch in NY in the evening.

The nominations, I think we can see, were but a charade: as many predicted, once the juries were superseded by the usual voters, Oscar contenders took over. Not one of the out-there nominees took home a prize.

Surely any film that wins Globe-Drama/PGA/DGA and BAFTA is a best picture Oscar certainty...or so thought the people behind 1917 last year. (Also La La Land, though in that case it was Globe-Musical or Comedy.) I still have my doubts about Nomadland, but I'll save them for a one-by-one best picture thread.

I wrote the other day that I thought Hopkins was a possible winner here. I doubt it has much impact on the Oscars, where the sentiment for Boseman is pretty overwhelming.

With McDormand winning, four of the five Oscar best actress nominees have taken a TV prize -- I believe the first time any category has broken out that way since supporting actress 2007. One can wonder, given Promising Young Woman's two prizes (original screenplay/British film), if Carey Mulligan might have been the favorite here had she not been excluded.

Daniel Kaluuya is the season's only acting sweeper. Hard to remember that, leading into the Globes, some thought the film had opened too late.

The disappointment of the day, for me, is Youn winning -- not because she doesn't deserve it, but because she probably drains the suspense out of the supporting actress Oscar race. I won't say definitely, because she and Bakalova were the only two nominees with a shot thanks to the jury thing...but SAG/BAFTA are the prime predictors, and I think you have to go back almost 20 years to find someone who won both and didn't repeat at the Oscars.

Chloe Zhao is the surest best of any category. I don't think any other director won a prize anywhere this year.

Adapted screenplay, however, comes alive. Again, I'll save my thoughts on it for a one-by-one thread. But it's not a lay-down.

Damn The Octopus Teacher! After the reprieve last night at DGA, it got a really big boost. This is a real case of what Sabin once called "Oscar voters disappointing Oscar fans."

Another "category" up in the air: final spot in the In Memoriam. Christopher Plummer a bit of an unexpected choice, after Olivia deHavilland topped TCM's list, and Boseman SAG's. I'd put Sean Connery in the mix, as well. Very tough call.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Are we back to this crap? Boseman remains the favorite, but a win for Hopkins or Ahmed at the Oscars would be well received. End of discussion.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

mlrg wrote:
Reza wrote:I wonder what the reaction would be in the United States if Hopkins won over Boseman at the upcoming Oscars?
The reaction SHOULD be “well deserved. It was the best performance of the year”.
I totally agree.
Last edited by Reza on Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Reza wrote:I wonder what the reaction would be in the United States if Hopkins won over Boseman at the upcoming Oscars?
The reaction SHOULD be “well deserved. It was the best performance of the year”.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I wonder what the reaction would be in the United States if Hopkins won over Boseman at the upcoming Oscars?

I personally thought Boseman gave a far better performance in Da 5 Bloods but he will prevail at the Oscars. I also think Viola Davis will win too. The Academy will finally honour a second black actress in the lead category. It's about time they did. Mulligan will just have to wait out her turn.
Last edited by Reza on Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

With these exceptions, the Oscar favorites all won. Agree that McDormand is a placeholder. But that Hopkins got it because he's one of the local guys and was extraordinarily impressive.
Big Magilla wrote:Hopkins' win is a major upset. McDormand's win is a placeholder for Mulligan at the Oscars. Otherwise, no real surprises.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hopkins' win is a major upset. McDormand's win is a placeholder for Mulligan at the Oscars. Otherwise, no real surprises.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Best Film - "Nomadland"
Outstanding British Film - "Promising Young Woman"
Outstanding Debut - Remi Weekes (“His House”)
Director - Chloe Zhao - "Nomadland"
Actor - Anthony Hopkins - "The Father"
Actress - Frances McDormand - "Nomadland"
Supporting Actor - Daniel Kaluuya (“Judas and the Black Messiah”)
Supporting Actress - Yuh-Jung Youn (“Minari”)Original Screenplay - Emerald Fennell (“Promising Young Woman”)
Adapted Screenplay - Christopher Hampton, Florian Zeller (“The Father”)
Editing - Mikkel E.G. Nielsen (“Sound of Metal”)
Cinematography - Joshua James Richards (“Nomadland”)
Original Score - Jon Batiste, Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross (“Soul”)
Film not in English Language - Thomas Vinterberg, Sisse Graum Jørgensen (“Another Round”)
Animated Film- Pete Docter, Dana Murray (“Soul”)
Documentary - Pippa Ehrlich, James Reed, Craig Foster (“My Octopus Teacher”)
EE Rising Star Award - Bukky Bukray
BAFTA Fellowship - Ang Lee
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

So far, the favorites for the Oscars in their categories.
Big Magilla wrote:BAFTA winners, Night One

Best Production Design – Mank – Donald Graham Burt, Jan Pascale
Best Costumes – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom – Ann Roth
Best Makeup and Hair – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
Best Sound – Sound of Metal – Jaime Baksht, Nicolas Becker, Phillip Bladh, Carlos Cortés, Michelle Couttolenc
Best Special Effects – Tenet – Scott Fisher, Andrew Jackson, Andrew Lockley
Best Casting – Rocks – Lucy Paradee
Best British Short Film – The Present – Farah Nabulsi
British Short Animation – The Owl and the Pussycat – Mole Hill, Laura Duncalf
Outstanding Contribution to British Cinema – Noel Clarke
Big Magilla
Site Admin

BAFTA Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

BAFTA winners, Night One

Best Production Design – Mank – Donald Graham Burt, Jan Pascale
Best Costumes – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom – Ann Roth
Best Makeup and Hair – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
Best Sound – Sound of Metal – Jaime Baksht, Nicolas Becker, Phillip Bladh, Carlos Cortés, Michelle Couttolenc
Best Special Effects – Tenet – Scott Fisher, Andrew Jackson, Andrew Lockley
Best Casting – Rocks – Lucy Paradee
Best British Short Film – The Present – Farah Nabulsi
British Short Animation – The Owl and the Pussycat – Mole Hill, Laura Duncalf
Outstanding Contribution to British Cinema – Noel Clarke

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”