Categories One-by-One: Documentary Feature

For the films of 2020
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Categories One-by-One: Documentary Feature

Post by Mister Tee »

Okay, knocked them all off, and, yeah, My Octopus Teacher is the least worthy of the five. Forewarned by dws, I can't say I hated it outright -- it was pretty to look at it, if nothing else -- but I did find the narrator pushing us to believe in a relationship for which there was very little empirical evidence. That alleged bonding is probably the reason people seem to be falling for it, and, yes, there's very much the danger a universal Academy vote (as opposed to the you-must-watch-all-five standard of a decade ago) will swoon for this sentimentality. I'll hold out hope for better taste.

I articulated my issues with Time in the review thread. For all the film's poetic virtues, I simply couldn't get past the fact they more or less brushed aside the fact we're being asked to see armed robbers as victims. (The director was on The Daily Show Show last week, and Trevor raised the issue, but the two of them seemed to believe the issue was confronted/dealt with in the film -- a contention with which I deeply disagree.) The best shot the film has is that it's in tune with the racial zeitgeist...but I think enough people will have the same problem I did and shy away from it.

I partially agree and partially disagree with dws' take on The Mole Agent. He thought the film's set-up was too cute, but I enjoyed it -- any nursing home spy, by nature, needs to be geriatric, meaning all candidates were apt to be technologically inept; this created some real comedy at the start. But the film blossomed into something more -- a real study of what life is like inside a nursing home, with both its upsides (relationships among residents) and downsides (the abandonment so many feel from their families). And here I do agree with dws: the fact the nursing home allowed such invasive filming made one question how up-and-up the filmmakers' contention of expose was. I found myself thinking, I wish this were a fiction film -- we could explore all the same issues, and maybe resolve niggling issues at the margins. In any event, I enjoyed the movie, and found it surprisingly cheerful and moving.

I very much disagree with anonymous' contention that Crip Camp is a conventional documentary -- if only because it began as one thing (a look back at a 50-year old summer), and transformed into another (how steps taken and relationships formed during that long-ago summer led to a movement that has changed life in the United States for all, especially the 40 million disabled). I was with the film from the start -- I grew up in a neighborhood much like the ones these kids came from (though Queens, not Brooklyn or the Bronx); my hair was that outrageously long at certain points in the early 70s. And I loved seeing these people be so free, so happy, so...normal with one another, thanks to finally being in a setting where they weren't outliers. (It's kind of a miracle that so much film survived, to tell this long-past part of the story.) And I was astonished to see how important this experience was in creating the modern-day disability rights movement -- a movement we now take for granted, but, as we see, was heavily resisted even by the more liberal side of the aisle. (Though I have to add: I never liked Joe Califano.) This film has very strong emotional appeal -- right up to its looking-back climax -- and I think it's a possible winner.

But my favorite is Collective, a film I found gripping from the get-go, and one which held me riveted all the way to its disillusioning ending. This was another movie that began as one thing -- the newspaper investigation -- but which jumped subjects at the halfway point. Ivan is a fascinating figure -- my first impulse was to distrust him; expect him to sweep the problem under the rug. It was heartening to find he was, instead, a dedicated reformer, and to see him making the needed changes -- only to run up against the worst kind of problem: an easily fooled populace who re-empower the corrupt. (A warning for all Americans, that we're not out of the Trump-woods yet.) I have no idea how likely this film is to score with voters, but it would get my vote in the end.
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Take Twitter with a kilo of salt, but it seems to have settled on My Octopus Teacher as the predicted winner ever since the DGAs.
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

I've seen all of the nominees now. Here's my personal preference:

1) Collective
2) Crip Camp
3) The Mole Agent
4) My Octopus Teacher
5) Time

I thought Collective and Crip Camp were about equal in my estimation and far above the others. I wouldn't have a problem with Crip Camp winning, but I'd give the edge to Collective.

The Mole Agent and My Octopus Teacher were a step below, but were each entertaining.

I couldn't stand Time and don't really see why so many think it is a masterpiece and great documentary. I thought it was way too long and drawn out with annoying music. It could probably have been cut into a pretty good short documentary of 20-30 minutes, but this didn't work for me.
Last edited by gunnar on Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Crip Camp is very much a classic, conventional documentary that tackle social justice issues and is pretty inspirational plus it comes from the Obamas' production company so that gives it a good pedigree. I think if anything will spoil the two front-runners, this one might be it.
Unless they want to avoid being accused of simply rewarding the Obamas, I think this could be a winner. Even if they weren't executive producers on the film, I think it would resonate with a large portion of the voters. It has a compelling historical background and is about positive activism in a marginalized community. It would certainly be worthy.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The last time a doc won the Oscar without a DGA nomination was:

- 20 Feet from Stardom [2013]
- Undefeated [2011]

And before that:
- March of the Penguins [2005]
- Bowling for Columbine [2002]
- Murder on a Sunday Morning [2001]
- Into the Arms of Strangers: Stories of the Kindertransport [2000]

So, it's not unprecedented but it's certainly rare. It used to be a more common occurrence but now it seems like stronger correlation.

I think it's going to be Time vs. The Octopus Movie.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Categories One-by-One: Documentary Feature

Post by anonymous1980 »

I've actually seen ALL the nominees in this category so I thought I'd kick off our "Categories One-By-One" series by sharing you my thoughts on them.

Personal preference:
1. Time
2. Collective
3. The Mole Agent
4. My Octopus Teacher
5. Crip Camp

Win chances:
1. Time
2. Collective
3. Crip Camp
4. The Mole Agent
5. My Octopus Teacher

In both my personal preference AND my prediction to win this category, both Time and Collective are neck-and-neck. They're both stunning artistic achievements that can evoke strong emotions, bring to mind very timely issues and are indeed among the best films and the best documentaries of the year. I give the slight edge to Time because a.) it's American and b.) SPOILER: it ends on an emotionally happy note unlike Collective which ends on a bit of a downer.

Crip Camp is very much a classic, conventional documentary that tackle social justice issues and is pretty inspirational plus it comes from the Obamas' production company so that gives it a good pedigree. I think if anything will spoil the two front-runners, this one might be it. The Mole Agent could earn votes because of its unique tone and the surprising turns it takes. My Octopus Teacher has more emotional heft than your run of the mill animal documentary (but only if you buy into the friendship and apparently, there are people who didn't buy into the friendship like dws1982, I did and I liked it!) but is not likely a threat to win.

So I might change my mind but for now, my vote and my prediction goes to Time.

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”