2020 Oscar Nominations

For the films of 2020
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: 2020 Oscar Nomiantions

Post by Sabin »

Time to do that dance I do again...

What matters is whether or not the movie shows up in the requisite precursors as well as BEST SCREENPLAY (does it move the heart) and FILM EDITING (is it slow?). Mank may have gotten ten nominations but it (appropriately) missed out on Best Screenplay and Best Film Editing.

MOVIES NOMINATED FOR BEST SCREENPLAY AND BEST FILM EDITING
- THE FATHER
- NOMADLAND
- PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN
- SOUND OF METAL
- THE TRIAL OF THE CHICAGO 7

I thought MINARI was in the running for Best Picture but it would seem that's not the case.

MOVIES NOMINATED FOR A DGA, PGA, and BAFTA AWARD
- MINARI
- NOMADLAND
- PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN

... AND A BEST ENSEMBLE SAG AWARD

Now, the SAG Award is tricky. It just means "Is it a film the actors will like?" THE SHAPE OF WATER and GREEN BOOK were not Best Ensemble nominated but won. Clearly, the actors liked it. But 1917 and ROMA lost. What does it this mean? It could means either THE TRIAL OF THE CHICAGO 7 is going to win Best Picture or we have three films generally in the running for Best Picture: NOMADLAND, PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN, and THE TRIAL OF THE CHICAGO 7.

Or, y'know, I'm wrong again.
"How's the despair?"
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

H.E.R., a reliably safe R&B artist that the Grammys have been pushing hard for a few years now but whose music I can safely say I haven't encountered in the wild, won Song of the Year at last night's Grammys and is now an Oscar nominee, so she's having a good 12 hours.

Leslie Odom Jr. becomes the third person to receive Acting and Song nominations in the same year after Mary J. Blige and Lady Gaga, all within the past 4 years.

Glenn Close achieves the rare Razzie/Oscar nominated work, for what that's worth.

Chloe Zhao (with 4!), Frances McDormand, Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, Odom Jr., and sound person Ren Klyce were double nominees - who else did I miss?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Congratulations to Daniel Kaluuya and LaKeith Stanfield for being the first two Best Leading Actors nominated in a Supporting Role. Truly weird considering he was pushed for Best Actor.
Last edited by Sabin on Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

A bit disappointed Ma Rainey's Black Bottom didn't get nominated for Best Picture. It deserved it.

Thank God Tenet wasn't nominated for Best Original Score.

Aaron Sorkin director snub feels almost like Bradley Cooper's.

Ann Roth (Costume Design) at the age of almost 90 is certainly one of the oldest nomimees in history.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

rolotomasi99 wrote: The Directing branch made up for last year's horrific inclusion of Todd Phillips by giving us a great slate of nominees just based on talent, but also amazing for their diversity: two women and two people of color.
Didn't noticed this until you brought it up. I just thought that the quality of the nominees is very good. Talk about unconscious diveristy....
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm very excited for Chloé Zhao and, especially, Emerald Fennell, for getting nominated. History made. That said, I can't help but feel a little disappointed in some of the nominations. They went for oddball choices seemingly for the sake of picking oddball choices. Ma Rainey's was the only film I could immediately think of with LGBTQ representation that pulled off a nomination. Two short films and a foreign language film all got blanked. If that is it, I am suitably angry. I think the Academy has made strides for LGBTQ inclusion, but they have done better by racial and gender diversity than they have LGBTQ diversity.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

Category wackiness aside, I’m just thrilled that LaKeith Stanfield was nominated. He’s been a favorite of mine.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Chalk it up to a topsy-turvy year, but I totally forgot the nominations were this morning and hence I missed watching them for the first time in what I could classify as "a decade-plus".
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

I knew I should have put "Love & Monsters" in my actual predictions for visual effects over "Birds of Prey"!

While I'm disappointed that "The Personal History of David Copperfield," a really charming movie, got nothing -- but "Pinocchio" is agood surprise choice for costumes.

Interesting that the most criticized element of "Da 5 Bloods" was the only category it was nominated for.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

rolotomasi99 wrote:Most shocking inclusion: Lakeith Stanfield showing up in Supporting Actor (though it begs the question who the hell the lead is in that movie)
I was just going to ask the same question.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

mlrg wrote:Apart from Supporting Actor, pretty predictable overall. I correctly guessed Vinterberg.

And on a personal note, I'm really pissed. First time since 1997 that I missed the full live nominations announcement. This year it was an hour earlier in my time zone and I missed the first batch of nominations. During the second batch I was in a professional zoom meeting so I was not able to pay 100% attention. Everything is different this year...
I missed most of the announcement, too. I lied down for a few minutes at 7:35 and the next thing I knew it was 8:33. No sooner did I turn on the TV to catch the second part, than the phone rang.

The reason it was an hour earlier in Portugal is because this is the second day of Daylight Savings Time in the U.S. when the clocks are pushed forward an hour. The nominations are usually announced during Standard Time which really should have a new name because Daylight Savings Time has become the new standard lasting from mid-March to early November, 7 1/2 months vs. 4 1/2 months for the old "standard" time.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

mlrg wrote:I correctly guessed Vinterberg.
Since BAFTA I was talking about ANOTHER ROUND showing up in the Director category, but did not have the courage of my convictions and left it out of my final predictions. :oops:

The Directing branch made up for last year's horrific inclusion of Todd Phillips by giving us a great slate of nominees just based on talent, but also amazing for their diversity: two women and two people of color.

Most shocking snub: MANK missing Original Screenplay
Most shocking inclusion: Lakeith Stanfield showing up in Supporting Actor (though it begs the question who the hell the lead is in that movie)

While I am glad I do not have to watch CHERRY since it was snubbed, I am pretty disappointed with the Cinematography branch for selecting THE TRIAL OF THE CHICAGO 7. There had to be more interesting choices they could have gone with.

LOVE AND MONSTERS and THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN are the nominees I am least looking forward to watching. :?
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

The Trial of the Chicago 7, Sound of Metal, Nomadland, Minari, Judas and the Black Messiah and The Father all recieved 6 nominations. That's 6 films with 6 nominations. How often does THAT happen??

Sounds unusual to me, but maybe I'm wrong.
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I did very well in my acting predictions. I got 19 out of 20 right. I only missed LaKeith Stanfield but who the hell saw that coming? I knew that last spot would be a surprise. I thought it would be either Alan Kim or David Strathairn. He’s probably one of the biggest surprises of the recent years.

Thomas Vinterberg getting a Best Director nomination is also mild surprise but I think there was buzz that it could happen especially after the BAFTA nomination. I knew Aaron Sorkin was going to get snubbed in Director. To whom, I wasn’t sure but they went with a foreign auteur. I love it.

I have to say: this is a good group of nominees!
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Apart from Supporting Actor, pretty predictable overall. I correctly guessed Vinterberg.

And on a personal note, I'm really pissed. First time since 1997 that I missed the full live nominations announcement. This year it was an hour earlier in my time zone and I missed the first batch of nominations. During the second batch I was in a professional zoom meeting so I was not able to pay 100% attention. Evertyhing is different this year...

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”