2020 Potential Best Supporting Actress Nominees

For the films of 2020

Which five of these potential nominees would you like to see nominated?

Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm 5+
9%
Candice Bergen, Let Them All Talk 4+
6%
Ellen Burstyn, Pieces of a Woman 11+
13%
Priyanka Chopra, The White Tiger 1+
No votes
Olivia Colman, The Father 9+
13%
Dominique Fishback, Judas and the Black Messiah 3+
13%
Jodie Foster, The Mauritanian 5+
7%
Amanda Seyfried, Mank 12+
15%
Yuh-Jung Youn, Minarai 8+
12%
Helena Zengel, News of the World 0+
3%
Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy 0+
9%

Total votes: 68

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: 2020 Potential Best Supporting Actress Nominees

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:I don't know how Close would have done if she had been in the early voting, but right now she's tied for 6th place Bergen and Fishback with 5 votes each.

Our top five are currently:

Seyfried - 18 votes
Burstyn - 16
Colman - 15
Youn - 12
Bakalova - 9
I'm surprised Burstyn figures so low on critics' lists. I think she will be nominated.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't know how Close would have done if she had been in the early voting, but right now she's tied for 6th place Bergen and Fishback with 5 votes each.

Our top five are currently:

Seyfried - 18 votes
Burstyn - 16
Colman - 15
Youn - 12
Bakalova - 9
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

flipp525 wrote
Dominique Fishback’s almost silent film-esque performance in Judas is really good. I have been a huge fan of hers since she first came on my radar as Darlene in “The Deuce.” I could see her as a surprise coattail nominee on Monday.
I think she could as well. It really just depends on the strength of Judas and the Black Messiah overall. This category is prime real estate for actors nominated for playing The Wife, The Girlfriend, The Mother... That's basically what she's doing, albeit a politically activated one. She's arguably the one character in the film that humanizes Fred Hampton. I'll support any nomination that strengthens the visibility of Judas and the Black Messiah. I'm not sure she quite has enough to warrant a win IMO but she's very good. And I think we can all agree that more than Amanda Seyfried a nomination would absolutely help her career.

Interesting that as we search for a the eventual crop of nominees, Fishback has a BAFTA nomination which has overlap with the Academy while Ellen Burstyn and Amanda Seyfried have no precursors with overlap with the Academy. Maybe she's in better standing than we think.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

MaxWilder wrote:Jodie Foster has 2 Oscars on the shelf and seems to be semi-retired. You can’t really think it wouldn’t do more for Seyfried’s career. (And I hate they’d be validating the HFPA by following their lead.)
A win would certainly help Seyfried, but at this point we're just talking nominations.

I don't think Jodie Foster has a chance in hell of winning a third Oscar before Ellen Burstyn has two and Glenn Close one but I think the one to beat this year is Yuh-Jung Youn. The way I see it the nominees should be Close, Colman (sight unseen), Foster, Seyfired and Youn but any of five in this group would be interesting.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

flipp525 wrote:Dominique Fishback’s almost silent film-esque performance in Judas is really good. I have been a huge fan of hers since she first came on my radar as Darlene in “The Deuce.” I could see her as a surprise coattail nominee on Monday.
Yeah, I think she's going to sneak through, thinking about it.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Dominique Fishback’s almost silent film-esque performance in Judas is really good. I have been a huge fan of hers since she first came on my radar as Darlene in “The Deuce.” I could see her as a surprise coattail nominee on Monday.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Still playing catchup. I have yet to see Let Them All Talk, The Father, and The Mauritanian.

Right now, my choices would be Maria Bakalova, Dominique Fishback, Amanda Seyfried, Yuh-Jung Youn, and Helena Zengel.

Ellen Burstyn is quite good in Pieces of a Woman but she's just completely undone by a silly script and a nonsensical monologue. Priyanka Chopra is perfectly fine but I didn't much care for anything in The White Tiger which feels Netflix to a T.And the best thing I can say about Glenn Close is that the movie certainly improves when her character takes the wheel. She's the best part of a lousy film but the bar is quite, quite low.

Were I to vote? I think it's between Maria Bakalova and Yuh-Jung Youn.
"How's the despair?"
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

Big Magilla wrote:I managed to screw this up royally trying to add Glenn Close. It wiped out all the previous votes so I went in and put the number of votes already received by each candidate so that the total received for that person will be that number plus what anyone wants to add.

I also enabled the ability to change votes, but they will still be limited to 5 selections.

You can vote for fewer than 5 if you wish, so if you just want to check off Close you can do that.
Thank you. I voted then for Close, Seyfried, Colman, Burstyn and Bergen. I don’t think Hillbilly Elegy is a good movie, but Glenn Close is. That Razzie nomination is absolutely ridiculous. Although I don’t know whether it’d be better for her to be snubbed in order to prevent another humiliation. She had such poor luck with the Oscars since 1982, it kind of hurts. This category is fascinating. There’s really no case for any of these ladies to win.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Jodie Foster has 2 Oscars on the shelf and seems to be semi-retired. You can’t really think it wouldn’t do more for Seyfried’s career. (And I hate they’d be validating the HFPA by following their lead.)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

MaxWilder wrote:All I want is an Amanda Seyfried nomination. But why give someone a much-deserved career boost when you can give Jodie Foster a pointless nomination she doesn’t even need? I’m preemptively depressed.
Well Seyfried is winning our poll, so that's something but I don't think her career "needs" an Oscar nomination any more than Jodie Foster does and maybe even less considering Foster hasn't had a hit in some time.
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

All I want is an Amanda Seyfried nomination. But why give someone a much-deserved career boost when you can give Jodie Foster a pointless nomination she doesn’t even need? I’m preemptively depressed.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I managed to screw this up royally trying to add Glenn Close. It wiped out all the previous votes so I went in and put the number of votes already received by each candidate so that the total received for that person will be that number plus what anyone wants to add.

I also enabled the ability to change votes, but they will still be limited to 5 selections.

You can vote for fewer than 5 if you wish, so if you just want to check off Close you can do that.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

CalWilliam wrote:I'd like Glenn Close to be nominated, to be honest, but I voted before reading your post, Magilla, so I selected Bakalova, Colman, Seyfried and with more enthusiasm Ellen Burstyn and Candice Bergen, it would be wonderful if the Academy rescued them both. For Candice Bergen it's been fourty-one years since her first and only nomination for Starting Over, and she's wonderful in Let Them All Talk. I also think it could be kind of irresistible for the Academy to nominate Burstyn, despite lack of precursors. She's great in Pieces of a Woman and it's been twenty years since her last one and she would break all age records in the four acting categories, if I'm not mistaken. Where do you think her chances are right now?
I somehow forgot to include Close, but you seem to be the only one out of 12 or more people so far to notice.

Burstyn would seem to have a strong pull with us, so maybe Oscar will come to her rescue. And, yes, first nomination in 20 years and the oldest nominee ever would the icing on the cake for her.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Burstyn, Foster, Colman, Seyfried & Bergen.

Would be great to see Burstyn win her second Oscar for a film that once again, for her, has a Scorsese connection.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

I'd like Glenn Close to be nominated, to be honest, but I voted before reading your post, Magilla, so I selected Bakalova, Colman, Seyfried and with more enthusiasm Ellen Burstyn and Candice Bergen, it would be wonderful if the Academy rescued them both. For Candice Bergen it's been fourty-one years since her first and only nomination for Starting Over, and she's wonderful in Let Them All Talk. I also think it could be kind of irresistible for the Academy to nominate Burstyn, despite lack of precursors. She's great in Pieces of a Woman and it's been twenty years since her last one and she would break all age records in the four acting categories, if I'm not mistaken. Where do you think her chances are right now?
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”