PGA Nominees

For the films of 2020
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: PGA Nominees

Post by Sabin »

FilmFan720 wrote
Interesting to note, also, that those 2 that missed PGA in 2017 were pretty late releases that didn't pick up momentum until late in the game (Phantom Thread missed almost everywhere). So films like Da 5 Bloods or News of the World are really hurt by this. They had plenty of time to be seen.
It's been a wild ride through precursor season for Da 5 Bloods, but I think it's done. Despite winning the National Board of Review and awards here and there for Delroy Lindo and Chadwick Boseman, Spike Lee's first post-Oscar movie couldn't get in past Borat Subsequent Moviefilm.

News of the World is absolutely done as well. And I don't believe that Helena Zengel is getting nominated. I don't care what anybody tells me.

The Father is in slightly better shape because it's a British film. Darkest Hour also didn't factor into this guild. There's a fair amount of cronyism to these things as well. I'm not sure which film The Father shoulders past but it's not going to be easy.
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Interesting to note, also, that those 2 that missed PGA in 2017 were pretty late releases that didn't pick up momentum until late in the game (Phantom Thread missed almost everywhere). So films like Da 5 Bloods or News of the World are really hurt by this. They had plenty of time to be seen.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

In 2019, all 9 Best Picture nominees were PGA noms (with only Knives Out being left out)
In 2018, all 8 Best Picture nominees were PGA noms (with only Crazy Rich Asians and A Quiet Place left out)
In 2017, 7 of 9 Best Picture nominees were PGA noms, missing Darkest Hour and Phantom Thread (with The Big Sick, I, Tonya, Molly's Game, and Wonder Woman left out -- they honored eleven films)
In 2016, all 9 Best Picture nominees were PGA noms (with only Deadpool, poor Deadpool, left out)

The odd one out is likeliest to be Borat Subsequent Moviefilm. If they nominate 9 films (which they have three of the last four years) it will be the rest.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The other categories:

Animated Feature

The Croods: A New Age
Onward
Over the Moon
Soul
Wolfwalkers

Documentary

David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet
Dick Johnson Is Dead
My Octopus Teacher
Softie
A Thousand Cuts
Time
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The most telling omittees: The Father, Da 5 Bloods, News of the World, Soul (though I believe there's a separate animated category?).

Judas & the Black Messiah continues its late-arrival stealth strategy. The rest largely as expected.

Now, the hard part: which five will show up at DGA tomorrow? I start with Nomadland, and, after that, everything's a hedge.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

PGA Nominees

Post by Mister Tee »

PGA Nominations

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
Judas and the Black Messiah
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
Mank
Minari
Nomadland
One Night In Miami...