Site Admin

Re: GG: Best Supporting Actress

Post by Big Magilla »

Thanks for the catch.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

James Coco is the only actor who was nominated for both an Oscar and a Razzie for the same performance, the one he gives basically playing himself here
Amy Irving in Yentl as well.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The Goodbye Girl was based on Neil Simon's 1970 play, The Gingerbread Lady with Maureen Stapleton in the role Marsha Mason played in the film. It had the shortest run of any of Simon's plays - just five months.
Only When I Laugh was the screen adaptation of Simon's play The Gingerbread Lady for which Stapleton won a Tony.

The Goodbye Girl was an original screenplay by Simon.
I meant Only When I Laugh. I was very sleepy when I wrote that. :oops:
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:The Goodbye Girl was based on Neil Simon's 1970 play, The Gingerbread Lady with Maureen Stapleton in the role Marsha Mason played in the film. It had the shortest run of any of Simon's plays - just five months.
Only When I Laugh was the screen adaptation of Simon's play The Gingerbread Lady for which Stapleton won a Tony.

The Goodbye Girl was an original screenplay by Simon.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
It was for things like this that many of us thought of the Golden Globe Awards as the Golden Bullshit Awards.
Well, seems like it's headed back in that direction for most Americans.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Only When I Laughl was based on Neil Simon's 1970 play, The Gingerbread Lady with Maureen Stapleton in the role Marsha Mason played in the film. It had the shortest run of any of Simon's plays - just five months.

James Coco is the only actor who was nominated for both an Oscar and a Razzie for the same performance, the one he gives basically playing himself here. Joan Hackett isn't bad, but the film isn't really good. Her win over Maureen Stapleton in Reds was ridiculous.

Stapleton's only Golden Globe was for Airport which she won in a tie with Karen Black in Five Easy Pieces. Black then won a second time for her Oscar ignored performance in The Great Gatsby.

It was for things like this that many of us thought of the Golden Globe Awards as the Golden Bullshit Awards.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
Shocking as this may come to you, Joan Hackett WAS in fact nominated for an Oscar.

The actual answer is Katharine Ross for Voyage of the Damned, 5 years earlier. And she was replaced by Lee Grant from the same film. The most pristine example would be Karen Black/The Great Gatsby. The year Nixon resigned.

ON EDIT: Of course, worth remembering that, prior to Aaron Taylor-Johnson, the last time the supporting actor category winner was omitted by AMPAS was 1967.
I thought it was a 1982 film when it was really a 1981. I haven't seen the film so I don't have an opinion. Y'know, aside from Go Maureen Stapleton!

I haven't seen Voyage of the Damned or The Great Gatsby. Did anybody get a "Jodie Foster in The Mauritanian" vibe back then? Or were you all too busy having fun in the 1970s to pay attention? It really does sound like it was a fun time.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:The last time the winner of this category didn't get a nomination was Joan Hackett for Only When I Laugh... one year after I was born.."
Shocking as this may come to you, Joan Hackett WAS in fact nominated for an Oscar.

The actual answer is Katharine Ross for Voyage of the Damned, 5 years earlier. And she was replaced by Lee Grant from the same film. The most pristine example would be Karen Black/The Great Gatsby. The year Nixon resigned.

ON EDIT: Of course, worth remembering that, prior to Aaron Taylor-Johnson, the last time the supporting actor category winner was omitted by AMPAS was 1967.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The last time the winner of this category didn't get a nomination was Joan Hackett for Only When I Laugh... one year after I was born.

Eh, it's happened in every other category (except Best Drama):
- Jim Carrey, The Truman Show
- Kate Winslet, Revolutionary Road
- Best Actor & Actress Comedy or Musical all the time
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Nocturnal Animals
- Ben Affleck, Argo

On the other hand, Best Supporting Actress seems very, very weak this year. Maybe she gets a nomination by virtue of "Fuck it, I know this name."
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I did say in my Cinema Sight prediction that if they were going to give it to someone other than Glenn Close it would be Foster who they love as much if not more. This is her third win, fourth if you count the Cecil B. DeMille award given to her eight years ago.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Just remember, the Globe voters LOVE Hollywood stars and they were probably among the first to see The Mauritanian. Jodie seemed like the perfect choice for them.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:
Mister Tee wrote
Well, we got an Aaron Taylor-Johnson -- just not in the category expected.

They must have really not cared about any of the contenders.
Or she had dinner with them.
I think that was Rosamund Pike.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote

Or she had dinner with them.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Oh wow another surprise.

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”